Cannot get email from NAS...firewall settings? - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Cannot get email from NAS...firewall settings? - Firewalls ; I have a NAS that allows for errors to be emailed and I decided to use GMail. However, it doesn't seem to be sending the emails. I suspect that my router's firewall is blocking the port. I would like to ...

  1. Cannot get email from NAS...firewall settings?

    I have a NAS that allows for errors to be emailed and I decided to use
    GMail. However, it doesn't seem to be sending the emails. I suspect
    that my router's firewall is blocking the port. I would like to know
    what is the most secure way to get the emails out. I guess I need to
    open the port listed below ONLY for outgoing and ONLY for (an IP, a
    MAC addr?) but how do I do this?

    Here are the settings and where I found them:
    smtp.gmail.com
    port: 465 or 587
    imachessnut@gmail.com
    http://mail.google.com/support/bin/a...y?answer=13287

    THANKS

    John

  2. Re: Cannot get email from NAS...firewall settings?

    "Warren, John" wrote in message
    news:1172588264.530207.140390@t69g2000cwt.googlegr oups.com...
    >I have a NAS that allows for errors to be emailed and I decided to use
    > GMail. However, it doesn't seem to be sending the emails. I suspect
    > that my router's firewall is blocking the port. I would like to know
    > what is the most secure way to get the emails out. I guess I need to
    > open the port listed below ONLY for outgoing and ONLY for (an IP, a
    > MAC addr?) but how do I do this?
    >
    > Here are the settings and where I found them:
    > smtp.gmail.com
    > port: 465 or 587
    > imachessnut@gmail.com
    > http://mail.google.com/support/bin/a...y?answer=13287
    >
    > THANKS
    >
    > John

    Why not just send them via your local smtp server as you would any other
    emails?

    Chris.

  3. Re: Cannot get email from NAS...firewall settings?

    chris wrote:

    > Why not just send them via your local smtp server as you would any other
    > emails?

    Because he does not run one?!

    Wolfgang

  4. Re: Cannot get email from NAS...firewall settings?

    "Wolfgang Kueter" wrote in message
    > chris wrote:
    >

    >> Why not just send them via your local smtp server as you would any other
    >> emails?

    > Because he does not run one?!
    >
    > Wolfgang

    So he never sends regular emails?

  5. Re: Cannot get email from NAS...firewall settings?

    chris wrote:

    > "Wolfgang Kueter" wrote in message
    >> chris wrote:
    >>

    >>> Why not just send them via your local smtp server as you would any other

    ^^^^^

    >>> emails?

    >> Because he does not run one?!

    > So he never sends regular emails?

    I assume he sends mails and might use a remote mail server to do it. Most of
    our customers use our mail servers, only a small part runs their own local
    mail server. Using the mail server of ones ISP has been common practice for
    decades and I would not regard that as a local one. Well, and if any of our
    customers does, I have to talk seriously with him .

    Wolfgang

+ Reply to Thread