Norton Internet Security blocking Internet functions - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Norton Internet Security blocking Internet functions - Firewalls ; I have Norton Internet Security2006 including the firewall. Just recently (strangely enough after I got Broadband/ADSL) I have increasingly noticed problems when I access the Internet. These are, for example, - buttons do not work, - links do not work, ...

  1. Norton Internet Security blocking Internet functions

    I have Norton Internet Security2006 including the firewall. Just
    recently (strangely enough after I got Broadband/ADSL) I have
    increasingly noticed problems when I access the Internet. These are,
    for example,
    - buttons do not work,
    - links do not work,
    - linked pages do not load properly/completely, etc.

    I normally use Moxilla Firefox (latest version) and thought it might
    be a problem there but it is the same in Internet Explorer.

    I have tried to reconfigure the firewall but that did not seem to make
    any difference and Symantec have been extremely slow in providing any
    solution to this. As a matter of fact, all they could come up with so
    far was to buy the upgrade to NIS 2007, which, allegedly gets rid of
    the problem. I don;t mind paying for the upgrade but want to know
    whether this is really the best or only way to deal with this.

    I am not exactly a guru when it comes to technical stuff so it might
    be that this is something very simple and stupid I have just
    overlooked. Any help will be very welcome.

    Peterbilt

  2. Re: Norton Internet Security blocking Internet functions

    mueller@boltblue.com wrote:

    > [Has the usual problems caused by Norton crap] Any help will be very
    > welcome.

    1. Security does not come in yellow boxes (nor in red or blue ones)
    2. Norton is crap
    3. All Personal firewalls are crap
    4. Do not run crap, uninstall it.
    5. If you decide to deliberately run a piece of software, designed to fu**
    up network communication, well, you have to live with such effects.

    While Norton is completely useless for my customers I find it very useful
    for me. Any customer running it will usually have to pay the addional 2-3
    hours I need to solve his network prtoblems, because Norton will fu** up
    normal network communication of his machines and slow down debugging. So I
    really love Norton. Though I never sold it and will under no circumstances
    ever sell it it has produced quite a significant turnover by delaying the
    speed of my work. Norton, really great stuff!

    Wolfgang

  3. Re: Norton Internet Security blocking Internet functions

    mueller@boltblue.com wrote:
    > I have Norton Internet Security2006 including the firewall.

    Sincere condolences.

    > - buttons do not work,
    > - links do not work,
    > - linked pages do not load properly/completely, etc.

    Yes, you already mentioned above.

    Why not dropping Norton InSecurity 2006 and just using the
    Windows-Firewall?

    Yours,
    VB.
    --
    "Pornography is an abstract phenomenon. It cannot exist without a medium
    to propagate it, and it has very little (if anything at all) to do with sex."

+ Reply to Thread