Netgear FVS114 with Netgear DG814 with Single IP Address - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Netgear FVS114 with Netgear DG814 with Single IP Address - Firewalls ; Hello, At present I have a Single IP address setup with a Netgear DG814, the WAN address is static and provided by the ISP and the LAN IP address is configured ok (192.168.0.0/24), everything works fine. However I have decided ...

  1. Netgear FVS114 with Netgear DG814 with Single IP Address

    Hello,

    At present I have a Single IP address setup with a Netgear DG814, the
    WAN address is static and provided by the ISP and the LAN IP address
    is configured ok (192.168.0.0/24), everything works fine. However I
    have decided to purchase a Netgear FVS114 to allow for VPN connections
    and provide better security. Given the fact that I only have one
    public IP address which is being used on the DG814 modem, what IP
    address do I assign to the WAN address of the new FVS114 VPN Router?
    Can I use a private IP address on the LAN side of the DSL modem and on
    the WAN & LAN addresses of the VPN Router or does the WAN address of
    the VPN Router have to be a public IP address as well?

    Thanks

  2. Re: Netgear FVS114 with Netgear DG814 with Single IP Address

    On Feb 26, 6:48 pm, neilp...@hotmail.com wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > At present I have a Single IP address setup with a Netgear DG814, the
    > WAN address is static and provided by the ISP and the LAN IP address
    > is configured ok (192.168.0.0/24), everything works fine. However I
    > have decided to purchase a Netgear FVS114 to allow for VPN connections
    > and provide better security. Given the fact that I only have one
    > public IP address which is being used on the DG814 modem, what IP
    > address do I assign to the WAN address of the new FVS114 VPN Router?
    > Can I use a private IP address on the LAN side of the DSL modem and on
    > the WAN & LAN addresses of the VPN Router or does the WAN address of
    > the VPN Router have to be a public IP address as well?
    >
    > Thanks

    Since the Netgear DG814 is your gateway to the outside world you need
    to use the same WAN IP to reach your VPN router. Then you need to do
    port forwarding to the LAN IP of the FVS114.

  3. Re: Netgear FVS114 with Netgear DG814 with Single IP Address

    On 27 Feb, 18:19, "Hexalon" wrote:
    > On Feb 26, 6:48 pm, neilp...@hotmail.com wrote:
    >
    > > Hello,

    > > At present I have a Single IP address setup with a Netgear DG814, the
    > > WAN address is static and provided by the ISP and the LAN IP address
    > > is configured ok (192.168.0.0/24), everything works fine. However I
    > > have decided to purchase a Netgear FVS114 to allow for VPN connections
    > > and provide better security. Given the fact that I only have one
    > > public IP address which is being used on the DG814 modem, what IP
    > > address do I assign to the WAN address of the new FVS114 VPN Router?
    > > Can I use a private IP address on the LAN side of the DSL modem and on
    > > the WAN & LAN addresses of the VPN Router or does the WAN address of
    > > the VPN Router have to be a public IP address as well?

    > > Thanks

    > Since the Netgear DG814 is your gateway to the outside world you need
    > to use the same WAN IP to reach your VPN router. Then you need to do
    > port forwarding to the LAN IP of the FVS114.

    Thanks for your reply, after much reading I have managed to get it
    working by using the Static IP on the WAN of the DG814 and then have
    the LAN IP of the DG814 and WAN IP of the FVS114 on the same network
    then have the LAN IP of the FVS114 on the same network as the internal
    network. Creating a DMZ and have port forwarding to the LAN IP of the
    FVS114 as you suggest - all works fine. Thanks

+ Reply to Thread