Zone Alarm Suddenly Blocking All Traffic - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Zone Alarm Suddenly Blocking All Traffic - Firewalls ; I have the free Zone Alarm running on XP SP2. Lately, it is blocking all traffic. A clean re-install has not fixed the problem. This seems to happen only when I re-start the system from a hibernation. When I re-start ...

  1. Zone Alarm Suddenly Blocking All Traffic

    I have the free Zone Alarm running on XP SP2.

    Lately, it is blocking all traffic. A clean re-install has not fixed the
    problem.

    This seems to happen only when I re-start the system from a hibernation.

    When I re-start the system, all traffic is normal.

    The funny thing is that in the past, a re-start from hibernation never
    caused this problem.

    So it is not just Zone Alarm alone, but probably some other change in
    configuration that has caused Zone Alarm to do this. That is, Zone Alarm
    being active is a necessary condition for preventing the traffic, but not a
    sufficient condition for blocking traffic.

    There is no apparent virus infection, as reported by Symantec.

    Does anyone have any ideas?

    A WinXP registry mess?

  2. Re: Zone Alarm Suddenly Blocking All Traffic

    mavigozler wrote:
    > I have the free Zone Alarm running on XP SP2.
    >
    > Lately, it is blocking all traffic. A clean re-install has not fixed the
    > problem.
    >
    > This seems to happen only when I re-start the system from a hibernation.
    >
    > When I re-start the system, all traffic is normal.
    >
    > The funny thing is that in the past, a re-start from hibernation never
    > caused this problem.
    >
    > So it is not just Zone Alarm alone, but probably some other change in
    > configuration that has caused Zone Alarm to do this. That is, Zone Alarm
    > being active is a necessary condition for preventing the traffic, but not a
    > sufficient condition for blocking traffic.
    >
    > There is no apparent virus infection, as reported by Symantec.
    >
    > Does anyone have any ideas?
    >
    > A WinXP registry mess?

    I would suspect that ZA is blocking all traffic when the machine goes
    into hibernation and is awaken again, that ZA starts blocking all
    traffic when the machine and the O/S are in that state. Some personal
    firewalls or personal packet filters have this protection feature,
    including ZA I would suspect.

    You need to find out how to take ZA out of this hibernation setting of
    blocking traffic when hibernation occurs and the machine is awoken again.

    That's why when you reboot the machine with its O/S and ZA running the
    traffic is not blocked, because ZA is not in this hibernation blocking
    state.

    You need to find out a to set ZA so that it allows the traffic after the
    machine comes out of hibernation.

+ Reply to Thread