firewall and portforwarding - Firewalls

This is a discussion on firewall and portforwarding - Firewalls ; Hi, I would like to as you guys, what is the best free firewall software with portforwarding ability? I want to use it together with dyndns.com service. thanks...

  1. firewall and portforwarding

    Hi,

    I would like to as you guys, what is the best free firewall software
    with portforwarding ability? I want to use it together with dyndns.com
    service.
    thanks

  2. Re: firewall and portforwarding

    mike888@berlin.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I would like to as you guys, what is the best free firewall software
    > with portforwarding ability? I want to use it together with dyndns.com
    > service.
    > thanks

    What are you talking about? If you're talking about some personal FW
    solution, you open the ports on a PFW solution. You forward the ports on
    a hardware, appliance or a gateway software network FW solution.

  3. Re: firewall and portforwarding

    On 13 Feb 2007 09:22:20 -0800, mike888@berlin.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I would like to as you guys, what is the best free firewall software
    > with portforwarding ability? I want to use it together with dyndns.com
    > service.

    Since you're not beeing very specific...

    OpenBSD 4.0 with PF and checkip (dyndns-client).

    --
    New and exciting signature!

  4. Re: firewall and portforwarding

    On Feb 14, 4:11 pm, Eirik Seim wrote:
    > On 13 Feb 2007 09:22:20 -0800, mike...@berlin.com wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,

    > > I would like to as you guys, what is the best free firewall software
    > > with portforwarding ability? I want to use it together with dyndns.com
    > > service.

    > Since you're not beeing very specific...
    >
    > OpenBSD 4.0 with PF and checkip (dyndns-client).
    >
    > --
    > New and exciting signature!

    Sorry about not being specific, what I am trying to do is following:
    I have one WinXP laptop which connected thru internet via 3G PCMCIA
    modem. and I also have one linux box in my LAN as a webserver, so
    everytime my laptop connected to the internet I want people outside to
    be able to see my linux webserver. I am thinking about subscribing to
    dyndns.com and then do Portworwarding in my laptop firewall. Let say
    people access my laptop thru mylocal.dyndns.com:80/ and it will be
    redirected by my laptop firewall to my local linux webserver
    192.168.1.10.

    is that posible to do that? and do you guys have any recommendation
    about free windows firewall with portforwarding ability?

    I hope I wrote it clear.

    thanks

  5. Re: firewall and portforwarding

    On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 04:13:54 -0800, mike888 wrote:

    > On Feb 14, 4:11 pm, Eirik Seim wrote:
    >> On 13 Feb 2007 09:22:20 -0800, mike...@berlin.com wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hi,

    >> > I would like to as you guys, what is the best free firewall software
    >> > with portforwarding ability? I want to use it together with dyndns.com
    >> > service.

    >> Since you're not beeing very specific...
    >>
    >> OpenBSD 4.0 with PF and checkip (dyndns-client).
    >>
    >> --
    >> New and exciting signature!

    > Sorry about not being specific, what I am trying to do is following:
    > I have one WinXP laptop which connected thru internet via 3G PCMCIA
    > modem. and I also have one linux box in my LAN as a webserver, so
    > everytime my laptop connected to the internet I want people outside to
    > be able to see my linux webserver. I am thinking about subscribing to
    > dyndns.com and then do Portworwarding in my laptop firewall. Let say
    > people access my laptop thru mylocal.dyndns.com:80/ and it will be
    > redirected by my laptop firewall to my local linux webserver
    > 192.168.1.10.
    >
    > is that posible to do that? and do you guys have any recommendation
    > about free windows firewall with portforwarding ability?
    >
    > I hope I wrote it clear.

    Why don't you get a device to connect to the internet first, not your
    laptop, then use that device (often called a router) to forward to your
    web server all the time. You can then hang an access point off the router
    and use your laptop any time you want.

    --
    Leythos

  6. Re: firewall and portforwarding

    mike888@berlin.com wrote:
    > On Feb 14, 4:11 pm, Eirik Seim wrote:
    >
    >>On 13 Feb 2007 09:22:20 -0800, mike...@berlin.com wrote:
    >>

    >>> Hi,

    >>> I would like to as you guys, what is the best free firewall software
    >>> with portforwarding ability? I want to use it together with dyndns.com
    >>> service.

    >>Since you're not beeing very specific...
    >>
    >>OpenBSD 4.0 with PF and checkip (dyndns-client).
    >>
    >>--
    >>New and exciting signature!

    > Sorry about not being specific, what I am trying to do is following:
    > I have one WinXP laptop which connected thru internet via 3G PCMCIA
    > modem. and I also have one linux box in my LAN as a webserver, so
    > everytime my laptop connected to the internet I want people outside to
    > be able to see my linux webserver. I am thinking about subscribing to
    > dyndns.com and then do Portworwarding in my laptop firewall. Let say
    > people access my laptop thru mylocal.dyndns.com:80/ and it will be
    > redirected by my laptop firewall to my local linux webserver
    > 192.168.1.10.
    >
    > is that posible to do that? and do you guys have any recommendation
    > about free windows firewall with portforwarding ability?
    >
    > I hope I wrote it clear.

    Why don't you keep it simple. You should get a router or low end or used
    FW appliance that does port forwarding to a specified IP/machine. As far
    as you finding some kind of free FW solution that does port forwarding
    on the Windows platform, I doubt that you'll find anything that's free
    that's worth anything that's going to run on that laptop.

  7. Re: firewall and portforwarding

    On Feb 14, 8:32 pm, "Mr. Arnold" <"Mr. Arnold"@Arnold.COM> wrote:
    > mike...@berlin.com wrote:

    > >>Since you're not beeing very specific...

    > >>OpenBSD 4.0 with PF and checkip (dyndns-client).

    > >>--
    > >>New and exciting signature!

    > > Sorry about not being specific, what I am trying to do is following:
    > > I have one WinXP laptop which connected thru internet via 3G PCMCIA
    > > modem. and I also have one linux box in my LAN as a webserver, so
    > > everytime my laptop connected to the internet I want people outside to
    > > be able to see my linux webserver. I am thinking about subscribing to
    > > dyndns.com and then do Portworwarding in my laptop firewall. Let say
    > > people access my laptop thru mylocal.dyndns.com:80/ and it will be
    > > redirected by my laptop firewall to my local linux webserver
    > > 192.168.1.10.

    > > is that posible to do that? and do you guys have any recommendation
    > > about free windows firewall with portforwarding ability?

    > > I hope I wrote it clear.

    > Why don't you keep it simple. You should get a router or low end or used
    > FW appliance that does port forwarding to a specified IP/machine. As far
    > as you finding some kind of free FW solution that does port forwarding
    > on the Windows platform, I doubt that you'll find anything that's free
    > that's worth anything that's going to run on that laptop.

    Thanks for all replies, I really appreciate it. I have my own router,
    but the router does not connect to the internet directly it has to
    connect to the internet thru my laptop, because I have this hsdpa 3G
    PCMCIA Modem card from my office and I am traveling alot this year so
    I've decided to cancel my ADSL line. Correct me if I am wrong, my
    understanding is that if the router does not connect to the internet
    directly it will not be able to do PortForwarding? Am I correct here?

    Thanks.

  8. Re: firewall and portforwarding

    mike888@berlin.com wrote:
    > On Feb 14, 8:32 pm, "Mr. Arnold" <"Mr. Arnold"@Arnold.COM> wrote:
    >
    >>mike...@berlin.com wrote:

    >>>Sorry about not being specific, what I am trying to do is following:
    >>>I have one WinXP laptop which connected thru internet via 3G PCMCIA
    >>>modem. and I also have one linux box in my LAN as a webserver, so
    >>>everytime my laptop connected to the internet I want people outside to
    >>>be able to see my linux webserver. I am thinking about subscribing to
    >>>dyndns.com and then do Portworwarding in my laptop firewall. Let say
    >>>people access my laptop thru mylocal.dyndns.com:80/ and it will be
    >>>redirected by my laptop firewall to my local linux webserver
    >>>192.168.1.10.

    >>>is that posible to do that? and do you guys have any recommendation
    >>>about free windows firewall with portforwarding ability?

    >>>I hope I wrote it clear.

    >>Why don't you keep it simple. You should get a router or low end or used
    >>FW appliance that does port forwarding to a specified IP/machine. As far
    >>as you finding some kind of free FW solution that does port forwarding
    >>on the Windows platform, I doubt that you'll find anything that's free
    >>that's worth anything that's going to run on that laptop.

    > Thanks for all replies, I really appreciate it. I have my own router,
    > but the router does not connect to the internet directly it has to
    > connect to the internet thru my laptop, because I have this hsdpa 3G
    > PCMCIA Modem card from my office and I am traveling alot this year so
    > I've decided to cancel my ADSL line. Correct me if I am wrong, my
    > understanding is that if the router does not connect to the internet
    > directly it will not be able to do PortForwarding? Am I correct here?
    >
    > Thanks.

    If the router is connected to the laptop and the laptop is the gateway
    to the Internet, the router is getting an IP from the laptop, it has its
    DHCP server active, or the DHCP is not active then the router would be
    just a switch it can't route, then you should be able to router traffic
    to a LAN IP/machine connected on the router, if the DHCP server on the
    router is active.

    Really, you need to change this situation of the laptop acting as a
    gateway running the Windows O/S. It's bad news. You don't have the O/S
    on the laptop conditioned to face the Internet and it can be easily
    attacked. You should have the router acting as the gateway, facing the
    Internet protecting the LAN and all machines behind the router.

  9. Re: firewall and portforwarding

    On Feb 15, 4:22 pm, "Mr. Arnold" <"Mr. Arnold"@Arnold.COM> wrote:
    > mike...@berlin.com wrote:

    > >>Why don't you keep it simple. You should get a router or low end or used
    > >>FW appliance that does port forwarding to a specified IP/machine. As far
    > >>as you finding some kind of free FW solution that does port forwarding
    > >>on the Windows platform, I doubt that you'll find anything that's free
    > >>that's worth anything that's going to run on that laptop.

    > > Thanks for all replies, I really appreciate it. I have my own router,
    > > but the router does not connect to the internet directly it has to
    > > connect to the internet thru my laptop, because I have this hsdpa 3G
    > > PCMCIA Modem card from my office and I am traveling alot this year so
    > > I've decided to cancel my ADSL line. Correct me if I am wrong, my
    > > understanding is that if the router does not connect to the internet
    > > directly it will not be able to do PortForwarding? Am I correct here?

    > > Thanks.

    > If the router is connected to the laptop and the laptop is the gateway
    > to the Internet, the router is getting an IP from the laptop, it has its
    > DHCP server active, or the DHCP is not active then the router would be
    > just a switch it can't route, then you should be able to router traffic
    > to a LAN IP/machine connected on the router, if the DHCP server on the
    > router is active.
    >
    > Really, you need to change this situation of the laptop acting as a
    > gateway running the Windows O/S. It's bad news. You don't have the O/S
    > on the laptop conditioned to face the Internet and it can be easily
    > attacked. You should have the router acting as the gateway, facing the
    > Internet protecting the LAN and all machines behind the router.

    Thanks alot for you infos here, I will try to buy 3G Mobile Router
    then.

    Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread