SME UTM shootout - Cisco vs. Checkpoint vs. Juniper - Firewalls

This is a discussion on SME UTM shootout - Cisco vs. Checkpoint vs. Juniper - Firewalls ; Hey everyone, Is there a consensus anywhere, in terms of which of the above to go for to secure 1-50 people SMEs at the perimeter, in terms of the following: - cost - ease of setup and administration - quality ...

  1. SME UTM shootout - Cisco vs. Checkpoint vs. Juniper

    Hey everyone,

    Is there a consensus anywhere, in terms of which of the above to go
    for to secure 1-50 people SMEs at the perimeter, in terms of the
    following:

    - cost
    - ease of setup and administration
    - quality and availability of support

    Any input from those experienced with the above would be appreciated.

    Dan

  2. Re: SME UTM shootout - Cisco vs. Checkpoint vs. Juniper

    In article <1171286783.097861.146840@k78g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>,
    wrote:
    >Hey everyone,
    >
    >Is there a consensus anywhere, in terms of which of the above to go
    >for to secure 1-50 people SMEs at the perimeter, in terms of the
    >following:
    >
    >- cost
    >- ease of setup and administration
    >- quality and availability of support
    >
    >Any input from those experienced with the above would be appreciated.

    Replacing 28 Checkpoint enterprise firewalls with Juniper was one
    of the best things I ever did. Support is good, big savings
    on support, hardware is solid, etc. 8 countries, total about
    30,000 users. Enterprise admin with Netscreen Security Manager.
    A happy customer. Also love their SSL VPN, a real win for business
    partners too.

    Checkpoint support was really bad (if existent), too many bugs,
    and really expensive.

    http://www.juniperforum.com/
    https://communities.juniper.net/
    ScreenOS docs
    http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/screenos/

    -alan

  3. Re: SME UTM shootout - Cisco vs. Checkpoint vs. Juniper

    What features do you need? What are your security requirements?

    Ray

    wrote in message
    news:1171286783.097861.146840@k78g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    > Hey everyone,
    >
    > Is there a consensus anywhere, in terms of which of the above to go
    > for to secure 1-50 people SMEs at the perimeter, in terms of the
    > following:
    >
    > - cost
    > - ease of setup and administration
    > - quality and availability of support
    >
    > Any input from those experienced with the above would be appreciated.
    >
    > Dan

  4. Re: SME UTM shootout - Cisco vs. Checkpoint vs. Juniper vs Sidewinder

    On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 13:48:47 -0500, "JJ" wrote:

    >What features do you need? What are your security requirements?
    >
    >Ray
    >
    > wrote in message
    >news:1171286783.097861.146840@k78g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    >> Hey everyone,
    >>
    >> Is there a consensus anywhere, in terms of which of the above to go
    >> for to secure 1-50 people SMEs at the perimeter, in terms of the
    >> following:
    >>
    >> - cost
    >> - ease of setup and administration
    >> - quality and availability of support
    >>
    >> Any input from those experienced with the above would be appreciated.
    >>
    >> Dan

    Don't count out Sidewinders UTM , By Secure Computing
    http://www.securecomputing.com
    Voted Best Enterprise Firewall by SC magizine at the RSA Show!

    You could look at the 110 Cost Very reasonable
    Set up in less than 30 Mins.
    Best on the Market, Support Outstanding.

    Now with Anti-Spam from www.trustedsource.org

    Cheers

  5. Re: SME UTM shootout - Cisco vs. Checkpoint vs. Juniper

    On Feb 12, 5:26 am, daninthe...@googlemail.com wrote:
    > Hey everyone,
    >
    > Is there a consensus anywhere, in terms of which of the above to go
    > for to secure 1-50 people SMEs at the perimeter, in terms of the
    > following:
    >
    > - cost
    > - ease of setup and administration
    > - quality and availability of support
    >
    > Any input from those experienced with the above would be appreciated.
    >
    > Dan

    Cisco ASA 5505 is a solid UTM solution that can support up to 50 users
    with an easy to use GUI (hard to believe, no more CLI). It provides
    FW, IPSec and SSL VPN on the same box. It also supports backup WAN
    link if you have two ISPs. If you need AV as well, go with the ASA
    5510 with the CSC-SSM module. Can't beat Cisco TAC.

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...d805ac1dd.html

    Phil

  6. Re: SME UTM shootout - Cisco vs. Checkpoint vs. Juniper

    On 18 Feb 2007 08:22:42 -0800, "Phil.Lee.PEng@gmail.com"
    wrote:

    >On Feb 12, 5:26 am, daninthe...@googlemail.com wrote:
    >> Hey everyone,
    >>
    >> Is there a consensus anywhere, in terms of which of the above to go
    >> for to secure 1-50 people SMEs at the perimeter, in terms of the
    >> following:
    >>
    >> - cost
    >> - ease of setup and administration
    >> - quality and availability of support
    >>
    >> Any input from those experienced with the above would be appreciated.
    >>
    >> Dan

    >Cisco ASA 5505 is a solid UTM solution that can support up to 50 users
    >with an easy to use GUI (hard to believe, no more CLI). It provides
    >FW, IPSec and SSL VPN on the same box. It also supports backup WAN
    >link if you have two ISPs. If you need AV as well, go with the ASA
    >5510 with the CSC-SSM module. Can't beat Cisco TAC.
    >
    >http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...d805ac1dd.html
    >
    >Phil

    While you are add it don't forget to mention all the Vulnerabilities
    that the ASA, Pix and IOS.

  7. Re: SME UTM shootout - Cisco vs. Checkpoint vs. Juniper

    They come at no extra charge, the same as other vendors, but Cisco does
    throw in more.

    Ray

    > While you are add it don't forget to mention all the Vulnerabilities
    > that the ASA, Pix and IOS.

+ Reply to Thread