Jetico firewall help - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Jetico firewall help - Firewalls ; I installed the Jetico firewall. Now when I use Firefox to browse the web, at every page I visit I have to confirm with the Jetico firewall that "Firefox is permanently allowed to access the IP address xx.xx.xx.xx...". This is ...

  1. Jetico firewall help

    I installed the Jetico firewall. Now when I use Firefox to browse the
    web, at every page I visit I have to confirm with the Jetico firewall
    that "Firefox is permanently allowed to access the IP address
    xx.xx.xx.xx...". This is crazy. I find myself doing a WHOIS on each IP
    address, to see what I'm granting permission for. Is there a way to
    grant Firefox always permission to access web pages?

    By the way, I found out that Google is monitoring all sites I visit.
    Interesting. Must be the Google toolbar I installed. Maybe I should
    uninstall it.
    --

    Alfred Molon

  2. Re: Jetico firewall help

    Alfred Molon wrote:

    > I installed the Jetico firewall. Now when I use Firefox to browse the
    > web, at every page I visit I have to confirm with the Jetico firewall
    > that "Firefox is permanently allowed to access the IP address
    > xx.xx.xx.xx...". This is crazy. [...]

    If you decide to install such crap you have to live with such effects.

    Wolfgang

  3. Re: Jetico firewall help

    In article , Wolfgang Kueter says...
    > Alfred Molon wrote:
    >
    > > I installed the Jetico firewall. Now when I use Firefox to browse the
    > > web, at every page I visit I have to confirm with the Jetico firewall
    > > that "Firefox is permanently allowed to access the IP address
    > > xx.xx.xx.xx...". This is crazy. [...]

    > If you decide to install such crap you have to live with such effects.

    Why is Jetico crap? Is there no way to set it up so that it does not
    request permission for each site you visit?
    --

    Alfred Molon

  4. Re: Jetico firewall help

    It is very easy to do: in specific rule for a web browser you should remove
    destination address. Also, there is a special template for a webbrouwser in
    Jetico. You can use this template as default rule for the Firefox. Please,
    visit Jetico at
    http://www.smokey-services.eu/forum/index.php
    People there are very friendly and will answer (using screen shots) all
    your questions about Jetico.
    Regards, Toller.

    "Alfred Molon" wrote in message
    news:MPG.20386bb593a3c1a698b33a@news.supernews.com ...
    In article , Wolfgang Kueter says...
    > Alfred Molon wrote:
    >
    > > I installed the Jetico firewall. Now when I use Firefox to browse the
    > > web, at every page I visit I have to confirm with the Jetico firewall
    > > that "Firefox is permanently allowed to access the IP address
    > > xx.xx.xx.xx...". This is crazy. [...]

    > If you decide to install such crap you have to live with such effects.

    Why is Jetico crap? Is there no way to set it up so that it does not
    request permission for each site you visit?
    --

    Alfred Molon

  5. Re: Jetico firewall help

    Alfred Molon wrote:
    > I installed the Jetico firewall. Now when I use Firefox to browse the
    > web, at every page I visit I have to confirm with the Jetico firewall
    > that "Firefox is permanently allowed to access the IP address
    > xx.xx.xx.xx...". This is crazy. I find myself doing a WHOIS on each IP
    > address, to see what I'm granting permission for. Is there a way to
    > grant Firefox always permission to access web pages?
    >
    > By the way, I found out that Google is monitoring all sites I visit.
    > Interesting. Must be the Google toolbar I installed. Maybe I should
    > uninstall it.

    You told me a few days ago that you would have no problem trying to
    configure a firewall. So do it. Thousands, maybe millions are running
    Jetico with no problem. By the way, it is not crap. It is one of the 2
    or 3 best walls in terms of leaktests. Any of these programs (commercial
    firewalls) are not enough in and of themselves. Use them in concert with
    a firewire or some type of packet sniffer.

    gary

  6. Re: Jetico firewall help

    Gary wrote:

    > You told me a few days ago that you would have no problem trying to
    > configure a firewall. So do it. Thousands, maybe millions are running
    > Jetico with no problem.

    Seems like those are stupid. Hell, you cannot even specify rule sbased upon
    TCP states, you cannot use any reject-with-TCP-RSt there (but it installs a
    not filter-only NDIS driver, so there's no technical limitation). This
    totally breaks every network configuration or is trivially insecure.

    > By the way, it is not crap. It is one of the 2 or 3 best walls in terms of
    > leaktests.

    Leaktests are nonsense by definition, thus no argument here.

  7. Re: Jetico firewall help

    Sebastian Gottschalk wrote:

    > Leaktests are nonsense by definition, thus no argument here.

    I actually find myself agreeing with this to a certain extent. They are
    blown out of importance.

  8. Re: Jetico firewall help

    Gary wrote:

    > Sebastian Gottschalk wrote:
    >
    >> Leaktests are nonsense by definition, thus no argument here.

    > I actually find myself agreeing with this to a certain extent. They are
    > blown out of importance.

    How does Comodo compare with Jetico?

    TIA

    Louise