PIX 501 dhcp client - Firewalls

This is a discussion on PIX 501 dhcp client - Firewalls ; I'm setting up a PIX 501 on a home network with a cable modem and cannot obtain a lease for the external connection's dhcp client. I connected the PIX to a switch along with one of the home pcs so ...

  1. PIX 501 dhcp client

    I'm setting up a PIX 501 on a home network with a cable modem and
    cannot obtain a lease for the external connection's dhcp client. I
    connected the PIX to a switch along with one of the home pcs so I can
    capture traffic between the firewall and the cable modem. The PIX
    sends discover packets every 3 seconds, but never receives offer
    packets from the dhcp server. An ipconfig release/renew on the pc not
    connected to the firewall leads to a new lease immediately. If I
    connect the outside interface to the inside, it immediately obtains a
    lease from the dhcp server on the inside interface. I think I must be
    missing something obvious.

  2. Re: PIX 501 dhcp client

    In article <1170865513.839241.303940@m58g2000cwm.googlegroups. com>,
    wrote:
    >I'm setting up a PIX 501 on a home network with a cable modem and
    >cannot obtain a lease for the external connection's dhcp client. I
    >connected the PIX to a switch along with one of the home pcs so I can
    >capture traffic between the firewall and the cable modem. The PIX
    >sends discover packets every 3 seconds, but never receives offer
    >packets from the dhcp server. An ipconfig release/renew on the pc not
    >connected to the firewall leads to a new lease immediately. If I
    >connect the outside interface to the inside, it immediately obtains a
    >lease from the dhcp server on the inside interface. I think I must be
    >missing something obvious.

    Your ISP probably electronically recorded the MAC address of
    the previous device, and is now refusing to serve the PIX because
    it has a different MAC. If so, then you ISP technical support
    can clear the problem up for you.

+ Reply to Thread