Looking for appliance to overcome firewall - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Looking for appliance to overcome firewall - Firewalls ; I have a need to demo IP enabled equipment at potential customer premises FROM THE OUTSIDE. This causes all kinds of headaches getting the IT guy to open up an incoming port to my box so I can command it ...

  1. Looking for appliance to overcome firewall

    I have a need to demo IP enabled equipment at potential customer premises
    FROM THE OUTSIDE.

    This causes all kinds of headaches getting the IT guy to open up an incoming
    port to my box so I can command it from my office.

    I am wondering if there is an applicance that uses outgoing requests to fool
    a firewall into allowing the outside data in.

    It would need to be a paired setup and best if it uses port 80.
    Since the inside device would essentially be polling the outside device, it
    would not be fast - but it does not have to be.

    I talked it over with a couple of VPN appliance vendors and one of them
    said it was possible -
    "basically that is how IM gets in" but he did not know of one.

    Anyone know if this exists and where I could buy one?

    Thanks

    Bill

  2. Re: Looking for appliance to overcome firewall

    On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 09:19:53 -0500, Bill wrote:

    > I have a need to demo IP enabled equipment at potential customer premises
    > FROM THE OUTSIDE.
    >
    > This causes all kinds of headaches getting the IT guy to open up an incoming
    > port to my box so I can command it from my office.
    >
    > I am wondering if there is an applicance that uses outgoing requests to fool
    > a firewall into allowing the outside data in.
    >
    > It would need to be a paired setup and best if it uses port 80.
    > Since the inside device would essentially be polling the outside device, it
    > would not be fast - but it does not have to be.
    >
    > I talked it over with a couple of VPN appliance vendors and one of them
    > said it was possible -
    > "basically that is how IM gets in" but he did not know of one.
    >
    > Anyone know if this exists and where I could buy one?

    Why can't you just get a VPN appliance and setup so that it forms a VPN
    tunnel to your office and then you can connect your PC to your local VPN
    appliance, the VPN appliance to the customers network, and as long as they
    permit PPTP or IPSec outbound unrestricted (which I would never do), then
    you can run without them having to do anything.

    --
    Leythos

  3. Re: Looking for appliance to overcome firewall

    Bill wrote:
    > I have a need to demo IP enabled equipment at potential customer premises
    > FROM THE OUTSIDE.
    >
    > This causes all kinds of headaches getting the IT guy to open up an incoming
    > port to my box so I can command it from my office.
    >
    > I am wondering if there is an applicance that uses outgoing requests to fool
    > a firewall into allowing the outside data in.

    Am I missing something?

    Why not "ask permission?"

    --
    Notan

  4. Re: Looking for appliance to overcome firewall

    VPN appliances don't solve the problem since most firewalls still have to be
    touched to enable a tunnel

    sometimes permission is not given and since I am trying to sell them a
    product, I can't twist arms.

    A plug & play solution that does not involve talking to the IT guy is what I
    am looking for.

    Bill

    "Notan" wrote in message
    news:QeOdnZouCK85eFTYnZ2dnUVZ_s3inZ2d@giganews.com ...
    > Bill wrote:
    >> I have a need to demo IP enabled equipment at potential customer premises
    >> FROM THE OUTSIDE.
    >>
    >> This causes all kinds of headaches getting the IT guy to open up an
    >> incoming port to my box so I can command it from my office.
    >>
    >> I am wondering if there is an applicance that uses outgoing requests to
    >> fool a firewall into allowing the outside data in.

    > Am I missing something?
    >
    > Why not "ask permission?"
    >
    > --
    > Notan

  5. Re: Looking for appliance to overcome firewall

    On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 08:41:19 -0600, Leythos wrote:

    > On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 09:19:53 -0500, Bill wrote:
    >
    >> I have a need to demo IP enabled equipment at potential customer premises
    >> FROM THE OUTSIDE.
    >>
    >> This causes all kinds of headaches getting the IT guy to open up an incoming
    >> port to my box so I can command it from my office.
    >>
    >> I am wondering if there is an applicance that uses outgoing requests to fool
    >> a firewall into allowing the outside data in.
    >>
    >> It would need to be a paired setup and best if it uses port 80.
    >> Since the inside device would essentially be polling the outside device, it
    >> would not be fast - but it does not have to be.
    >>
    >> I talked it over with a couple of VPN appliance vendors and one of them
    >> said it was possible -
    >> "basically that is how IM gets in" but he did not know of one.
    >>
    >> Anyone know if this exists and where I could buy one?

    > Why can't you just get a VPN appliance and setup so that it forms a VPN
    > tunnel to your office and then you can connect your PC to your local VPN
    > appliance, the VPN appliance to the customers network, and as long as they
    > permit PPTP or IPSec outbound unrestricted (which I would never do), then
    > you can run without them having to do anything.

    You're not looking for the right appliances (sorry to follow my own post).

    There are new SSL VPN appliances, and many companies leave SSL open, check
    on the newer SSL VPN appliances.

    --
    Leythos

  6. Re: Looking for appliance to overcome firewall

    Bill,

    I'm confused. If you are invited in to demonstrate an appliance which
    you are going to connect to a network, would the person who invited you
    in not be breaching local security policy by allowing you to connect
    your device 'without permission'? (If someone allowed a supplier to
    connect a device to ANY part of my network without permission, they
    would face disciplinary action, if not sacking and any supplier
    attempting such actions would be banned from site.)

    Would it be a workable solution to provide your customer with a laptop
    or some other portable device, with a cellular telephone (assuming that
    would be allowed) for connectivity to demonstrate it's remote capabilities?

    Bogwitch.

    Bill wrote:
    > VPN appliances don't solve the problem since most firewalls still have to be
    > touched to enable a tunnel
    >
    > sometimes permission is not given and since I am trying to sell them a
    > product, I can't twist arms.
    >
    > A plug & play solution that does not involve talking to the IT guy is what I
    > am looking for.
    >
    > Bill
    >

    > "Notan" wrote in message
    > news:QeOdnZouCK85eFTYnZ2dnUVZ_s3inZ2d@giganews.com ...
    >> Bill wrote:
    >>> I have a need to demo IP enabled equipment at potential customer premises
    >>> FROM THE OUTSIDE.
    >>>
    >>> This causes all kinds of headaches getting the IT guy to open up an
    >>> incoming port to my box so I can command it from my office.
    >>>
    >>> I am wondering if there is an applicance that uses outgoing requests to
    >>> fool a firewall into allowing the outside data in.

    >> Am I missing something?
    >>
    >> Why not "ask permission?"
    >>
    >> --
    >> Notan

  7. Re: Looking for appliance to overcome firewall

    On Wed, 7 Feb 2007 10:48:59 -0500, "Bill" wrote:

    > sometimes permission is not given and since I am trying to sell them a
    >product, I can't twist arms.

    So you want to covertly circumvent their network security? I wish I knew
    what you were selling and to whom...

  8. Re: Looking for appliance to overcome firewall

    Bill wrote:
    > I have a need to demo IP enabled equipment at potential customer premises
    > FROM THE OUTSIDE.
    >
    > This causes all kinds of headaches getting the IT guy to open up an incoming
    > port to my box so I can command it from my office.
    >
    > I am wondering if there is an applicance that uses outgoing requests to fool
    > a firewall into allowing the outside data in.
    >
    > It would need to be a paired setup and best if it uses port 80.
    > Since the inside device would essentially be polling the outside device, it
    > would not be fast - but it does not have to be.
    >
    > I talked it over with a couple of VPN appliance vendors and one of them
    > said it was possible -
    > "basically that is how IM gets in" but he did not know of one.
    >
    > Anyone know if this exists and where I could buy one?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Bill

    Sounds like a Trojan horse if there ever was one!

  9. Re: Looking for appliance to overcome firewall

    "Bill" wrote in message
    >I have a need to demo IP enabled equipment at potential customer premises
    >FROM THE OUTSIDE.
    >
    > This causes all kinds of headaches getting the IT guy to open up an
    > incoming port to my box so I can command it from my office.
    >
    > I am wondering if there is an applicance that uses outgoing requests to
    > fool a firewall into allowing the outside data in.
    >
    > It would need to be a paired setup and best if it uses port 80.
    > Since the inside device would essentially be polling the outside device,
    > it would not be fast - but it does not have to be.
    >
    > I talked it over with a couple of VPN appliance vendors and one of them
    > said it was possible -
    > "basically that is how IM gets in" but he did not know of one.
    >
    > Anyone know if this exists and where I could buy one?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Bill

    www.gotomypc.com

  10. Re: Looking for appliance to overcome firewall

    "Bill" wrote in

    > VPN appliances don't solve the problem since most firewalls still have
    > to be touched to enable a tunnel
    >
    > sometimes permission is not given and since I am trying to sell them
    > product, I can't twist arms.
    >
    > A plug & play solution that does not involve talking to the IT guy is
    > what I am looking for.
    >
    > Bill

    So... you want to avoid talking to the IT guys for what reason exactly?
    The IT department likely denied it for a reason. I don't think it is
    because of a God complex. Why keep them out of the loop?
    My next question is, what are you trying to sell that raised the antenna
    of the IT guys? See point one... they likely denied it for a reason. How
    about a bit of info on this product?

    --

    Back to your bridge Troll! You have no powers here!

+ Reply to Thread