Personal firewall recommendation wanted - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Personal firewall recommendation wanted - Firewalls ; I would appreciate a firewall recommendation. I currently have McAfee Security Suite but am very disappointed in the company's lack of technical support. Here are my specs for the product I desire: - Windows XP Home Edition, SP 2 - ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Personal firewall recommendation wanted

  1. Personal firewall recommendation wanted

    I would appreciate a firewall recommendation. I currently have McAfee
    Security Suite but am very disappointed in the company's lack of
    technical support.

    Here are my specs for the product I desire:

    - Windows XP Home Edition, SP 2
    - Dial-up line (there is as yet no DSL in my area)
    - Want to monitor / block incoming and outgoing
    - Rated high in terms of being able to block most intrusion attempts
    ("leaks")
    - Backed by a company that offers good technical support, preferably
    by email
    - Minimal configuration required; product should work well "out of the
    box"

    I suspect that some folks will feel that I am trying to get a free
    lunch. That is, looking for a quality product that does not require me
    to do much in the way of configuration. But after perusing various
    groups and seeing the troubles that some folks have with their
    personal firewalls, I do not want to find myself in that same
    position.

    Thank you in advance for your help.


  2. Re: Personal firewall recommendation wanted

    goshengoogle@yahoo.com wrote:
    > I would appreciate a firewall recommendation. I currently have McAfee
    > Security Suite but am very disappointed in the company's lack of
    > technical support.
    >
    > Here are my specs for the product I desire:
    >
    > - Windows XP Home Edition, SP 2


    Use the Windows-Firewall.

    > - Dial-up line (there is as yet no DSL in my area)


    Use the Windows-Firewall.

    > - Want to monitor / block incoming and outgoing


    For monitoring use Port Reporter [1] in addition to the Windows
    Firewall.

    Blocking outbound traffic is unreliable, to say the least. Especially if
    you want to avoid much configuration. If you don't want some software to
    communicate outbound: configure it to not communicate outbound, or
    remove/replace it if it can't be configured that way.

    > - Rated high in terms of being able to block most intrusion attempts
    > ("leaks")


    Leaks are the opposite of intrusion attempts. In fact they indicate a
    successful intrusion.

    > - Backed by a company that offers good technical support, preferably
    > by email


    Use the Windows-Firewall.

    > - Minimal configuration required; product should work well "out of the
    > box"


    This rules out everything that tries to address even the well-known
    leaks.

    [1] http://support.microsoft.com/kb/837243

    cu
    59cobalt
    --
    "Personal Firewalls are crap. Throw away any personal firewall. Personal
    Firewalls are bad[tm]."
    --Malte von dem Hagen on security-basics

  3. Re: Personal firewall recommendation wanted

    Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers wrote:
    > goshengoogle@yahoo.com wrote:
    >> I would appreciate a firewall recommendation. I currently have McAfee
    >> Security Suite but am very disappointed in the company's lack of
    >> technical support.
    >>
    >> Here are my specs for the product I desire:
    >>
    >> - Windows XP Home Edition, SP 2

    >
    > Use the Windows-Firewall.



    Please don't tell folks this Ansgar. If you haven't got any good
    suggestions for a firewall that's fine, but don't be misleading folks
    like this.

    >
    > For monitoring use Port Reporter [1] in addition to the Windows
    > Firewall.
    >
    > Blocking outbound traffic is unreliable, to say the least. Especially if
    > you want to avoid much configuration. If you don't want some software to
    > communicate outbound: configure it to not communicate outbound, or
    > remove/replace it if it can't be configured that way.
    >
    >> - Rated high in terms of being able to block most intrusion attempts
    >> ("leaks")

    >
    > Leaks are the opposite of intrusion attempts. In fact they indicate a
    > successful intrusion.
    >
    >> - Backed by a company that offers good technical support, preferably
    >> by email

    >
    > Use the Windows-Firewall.


    Ok here all I can do is laugh. They asked for a company that offers good
    tech support. Try being a home user and calling them for support once.




  4. Re: Personal firewall recommendation wanted

    Jason wrote:
    > Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers wrote:
    >> goshengoogle@yahoo.com wrote:
    >>> I would appreciate a firewall recommendation. I currently have McAfee
    >>> Security Suite but am very disappointed in the company's lack of
    >>> technical support.
    >>>
    >>> Here are my specs for the product I desire:
    >>>
    >>> - Windows XP Home Edition, SP 2

    >>
    >> Use the Windows-Firewall.

    >
    > Please don't tell folks this Ansgar. If you haven't got any good
    > suggestions for a firewall that's fine, but don't be misleading folks
    > like this.


    M-hm. I suppose you're not going to give any reason why that would be?

    The Windows-Firewall is perfectly suitable for filtering inbound traffic
    as well as for preventing applications from listening on ports.
    Filtering outbound traffic is pointless anyway, especially if one wants
    to avoid a great deal of configuration like the OP does. I've already
    pointed out what you want to do instead:

    >> For monitoring use Port Reporter [1] in addition to the Windows
    >> Firewall.
    >>
    >> Blocking outbound traffic is unreliable, to say the least. Especially
    >> if you want to avoid much configuration. If you don't want some
    >> software to communicate outbound: configure it to not communicate
    >> outbound, or remove/replace it if it can't be configured that way.


    The reasons why outbound filtering is unreliable (and thus pointless)
    have been discussed ad nauseam, even in this group. Look it up.

    cu
    59cobalt
    --
    "Personal Firewalls are crap. Throw away any personal firewall. Personal
    Firewalls are bad[tm]."
    --Malte von dem Hagen on security-basics

  5. Re: Personal firewall recommendation wanted

    snip...
    > I suspect that some folks will feel that I am trying to get a free
    > lunch. That is, looking for a quality product that does not require me
    > to do much in the way of configuration. But after perusing various
    > groups and seeing the troubles that some folks have with their
    > personal firewalls, I do not want to find myself in that same
    > position.
    >
    > Thank you in advance for your help.
    >
    >

    I suggest you take a look at (free) Jetico v2.
    http://www.jetico.com/
    Quote...
    If you want to evaluate Jetico Personal Firewall version 2, download and install
    following file:
    Jetico Personal Firewall for Windows 2000/XP/2003/XP x64/2003 x64/Vista/Vista
    x64 - 3108 kB
    End Quote...
    My understanding of software firewall generally goes like this:
    Just about every brand of software firewalls has excellent Inbound
    connection control. Outbound control, at best, is questionable in
    all of these brands. Outbound connections that defeat the firewall
    is referred to as Leaks (as you know).

    Take a look at http://www.matousec.com/projects/win...onal-firewall-
    analysis/leak-tests-results.php

    or Tiny URL http://tinyurl.com/ys3gvp

    Select Leak Test Results then scroll way down to the green-brown-pink
    table. There you will find that Jetico has an excellent Leak rating
    in this extensive Leak testing that was done.

    I myself have just downloaded Jetico (and excellent users manual)
    and will be dropping Sygate if I can somewhat master a new user
    interface
    Casey

  6. Re: Personal firewall recommendation wanted

    In article , Casey
    says...

    > I suggest you take a look at (free) Jetico v2.
    > http://www.jetico.com/


    Hmmm... it's a beta version. Wouldn't it be better to use a tested
    version?
    --

    Alfred Molon
    http://www.molon.de - Photos of Asia, Africa and Europe

  7. Re: Personal firewall recommendation wanted

    In article ,
    REMOVEalfred_molon@yahoo.com says...
    > In article , Casey
    > says...
    >
    > > I suggest you take a look at (free) Jetico v2.
    > > http://www.jetico.com/

    >
    > Hmmm... it's a beta version. Wouldn't it be better to use a tested
    > version?

    I don't want this to sound sarcastic but..
    If Jetico v2 is thought of as being inadequately test. Jetico v1
    could be downloaded.
    Casey

  8. Re: Personal firewall recommendation wanted

    In article
    Casey wrote:
    >
    > snip...
    > > I suspect that some folks will feel that I am trying to get a free
    > > lunch. That is, looking for a quality product that does not require me
    > > to do much in the way of configuration. But after perusing various
    > > groups and seeing the troubles that some folks have with their
    > > personal firewalls, I do not want to find myself in that same
    > > position.
    > >
    > > Thank you in advance for your help.
    > >
    > >

    > I suggest you take a look at (free) Jetico v2.
    > http://www.jetico.com/


    A newbie to firewalls doesn't need a beta.

    Here is a page of freebies:

    http://www.thefreecountry.com/security/firewalls.shtml

    you can pick either Kerio, Sygate or the freebie Zone Alarm.

    I have used the freebie Zone Alarm for years. It's simple. It works.



  9. Re: Personal firewall recommendation wanted

    George Orwell wrote:

    > A newbie to firewalls doesn't need a beta.
    >
    > Here is a page of freebies:
    >
    > http://www.thefreecountry.com/security/firewalls.shtml
    >
    > you can pick either Kerio, Sygate or the freebie Zone Alarm.


    Those are even less suitable for newbies.

    > I have used the freebie Zone Alarm for years. It's simple. It works.


    Except when it doesn't work. BTST too often.

+ Reply to Thread