port 500 SYTEK UDP - Firewalls

This is a discussion on port 500 SYTEK UDP - Firewalls ; Hello, I have firewall alert (opost 4.0), remote address: 219.74.174.53 (Singapore) want my local UDP:500. Advice please, should I open this port? Thx...

  1. port 500 SYTEK UDP

    Hello, I have firewall alert (opost 4.0), remote address: 219.74.174.53
    (Singapore) want my local UDP:500.
    Advice please, should I open this port? Thx

  2. Re: port 500 SYTEK UDP

    adax wrote:

    > Hello, I have firewall alert (opost 4.0),

    I presume you mean "Outpost". This is no firewall, neither does it create
    any useful information. Why do you even log such stuff?

    > remote address: 219.74.174.53 (Singapore) want my local UDP:500.
    > Advice please, should I open this port?

    In case of doubt: no. Why are you even asking? If this answer isn't already
    clear to you, you should not try to run any firewall.

    And what's the meaning of "SYTEK" in that context?

  3. Re: port 500 SYTEK UDP

    > I presume you mean "Outpost". This is no firewall, neither does it create
    > any useful information. Why do you even log such stuff?

    Yes, Outpost 4.0

    >> remote address: 219.74.174.53 (Singapore) want my local UDP:500.
    >> Advice please, should I open this port?

    > In case of doubt: no.

    OK thx

    Why are you even asking? If this answer isn't
    > already clear to you, you should not try to run any firewall.
    > And what's the meaning of "SYTEK" in that context?

    I was looking for description UDP:500 and I read in this way: 500 SYTEK
    UDP
    Unfortunately, I don't know what the "SYTEK" means

  4. Re: port 500 SYTEK UDP

    adax wrote:

    > I was looking for description UDP:500 and I read in this way: 500 SYTEK
    > UDP

    Who tells such a nonsense? UDP 500 typically is ISAKMP, which is exactly
    what /etc/services tells. I'm not able to find anything there about
    "SYTEK".

    And as someone who wants to run a firewall you should definitely know that.

  5. Re: port 500 SYTEK UDP

    > And as someone who wants to run a firewall you should definitely know
    > that.

    OK, OK, maybe someone learnts...
    Should I open this port? Thank You

  6. Re: port 500 SYTEK UDP

    On 1-Feb-2007, "adax" wrote:

    > Should I open this port? Thank You

    As Sebastian said in his first reply to you:
    When in doubt - NO!

    --
    I am not a complete idiot.
    Parts are missing.

  7. Re: port 500 SYTEK UDP

    adax wrote:
    > Hello, I have firewall alert (opost 4.0), remote address:
    > 219.74.174.53 (Singapore) want my local UDP:500.
    > Advice please, should I open this port? Thx

    Why would you want to do that?

    cu
    59cobalt
    --
    "Personal Firewalls are crap. Throw away any personal firewall. Personal
    Firewalls are bad[tm]."

  8. Re: port 500 SYTEK UDP

    Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers wrote:
    : adax wrote:
    : > Hello, I have firewall alert (opost 4.0), remote address:
    : > 219.74.174.53 (Singapore) want my local UDP:500.
    : > Advice please, should I open this port? Thx

    : Why would you want to do that?

    If you're having VPN users that can connect to your network while
    travelling you might need to open this port in order to get IKE working.

    Lars

+ Reply to Thread