Sonicwall TZ170 drops connection on LAN side - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Sonicwall TZ170 drops connection on LAN side - Firewalls ; Hi The problem i am having is, i have 15 users connect to a SBS 2003 server. My config is SBS 2003 with 1 Nic IP 192.168.0.50 SubNet 255.255.255.0 Gateway 192.168.0.1 DNS 192.168.0.50 Sonicwal IP LAN Side 192.168.0.1 WAN Port ...

  1. Sonicwall TZ170 drops connection on LAN side

    Hi

    The problem i am having is, i have 15 users connect to a SBS 2003
    server.

    My config is

    SBS 2003 with 1 Nic

    IP 192.168.0.50
    SubNet 255.255.255.0
    Gateway 192.168.0.1

    DNS 192.168.0.50

    Sonicwal IP LAN Side 192.168.0.1
    WAN Port connects to ADSL

    The is problem is that one 1 clients drops connection to the
    gateway/sonicwall.

    All clients are dhcp and on the same ip range

    When i ping 192.168.0.1 i get no reply, but if i ping SBS server
    192.168.0.50 i get a reply.
    I went to another client and tried to ping 192.168.0.1 I get a reply.

    If i unplug the client with the problem nic cable and put it back in
    again i get a reply from 192168.0.1, but after a while it drops again.
    No other user is having any problems.

    All the client computers are WIN XP.

    I have changed the nic in the client and the cat5 patch lead, but this
    had made no difference.

    This is an intermitting problem, it works then does not work and then
    it works again.

    Any help, advice would be great

    Cheers

    Niall

  2. Re: Sonicwall TZ170 drops connection on LAN side

    genoff2000 wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > The problem i am having is, i have 15 users connect to a SBS 2003
    > server.
    >
    > My config is
    >
    > SBS 2003 with 1 Nic
    >
    > IP 192.168.0.50
    > SubNet 255.255.255.0
    > Gateway 192.168.0.1
    >
    > DNS 192.168.0.50
    >
    > Sonicwal IP LAN Side 192.168.0.1
    > WAN Port connects to ADSL
    >
    > The is problem is that one 1 clients drops connection to the
    > gateway/sonicwall.
    >
    > All clients are dhcp and on the same ip range
    >
    > When i ping 192.168.0.1 i get no reply, but if i ping SBS server
    > 192.168.0.50 i get a reply.
    > I went to another client and tried to ping 192.168.0.1 I get a reply.
    >
    > If i unplug the client with the problem nic cable and put it back in
    > again i get a reply from 192168.0.1, but after a while it drops again.
    > No other user is having any problems.
    >
    > All the client computers are WIN XP.
    >
    > I have changed the nic in the client and the cat5 patch lead, but this
    > had made no difference.
    >
    > This is an intermitting problem, it works then does not work and then
    > it works again.
    >
    > Any help, advice would be great
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Niall

    if it's just one host on the LAN not receiving replies, I doubt it's a sonicwall problem, anyway: check the logs and arp
    entries on the sonicwall.
    make sure your client *is* getting a valid dhcp adress, and that there aren't any duplicates,

    also: do you have some firewall, anti-something on that particular client?

  3. Re: Sonicwall TZ170 drops connection on LAN side

    Thank M for you reply

    I have checked the client and it does have a valid ip address, cause
    when it cannot ping the sonicwall, it can ping the the
    sbs 2003 server. other clients can ping both, when this client cannot
    only ping the sonicwall.

    I have not tried to ping from the sonicwall to the the failed client to
    see if this is working.

    When i renew the dhcp sometimes that fixes it, but only for a short
    while, if i unplug the nic cable and reconnect it again
    that fixes it for a short while.

    what should i be looking for in the arp table on the sonicwall

    Cheers

    On 26 Jan, 13:42, mak wrote:
    > genoff2000 wrote:
    > > Hi

    > > The problem i am having is, i have 15 users connect to a SBS 2003
    > > server.

    > > My config is

    > > SBS 2003 with 1 Nic

    > > IP 192.168.0.50
    > > SubNet 255.255.255.0
    > > Gateway 192.168.0.1

    > > DNS 192.168.0.50

    > > Sonicwal IP LAN Side 192.168.0.1
    > > WAN Port connects to ADSL

    > > The is problem is that one 1 clients drops connection to the
    > > gateway/sonicwall.

    > > All clients are dhcp and on the same ip range

    > > When i ping 192.168.0.1 i get no reply, but if i ping SBS server
    > > 192.168.0.50 i get a reply.
    > > I went to another client and tried to ping 192.168.0.1 I get a reply.

    > > If i unplug the client with the problem nic cable and put it back in
    > > again i get a reply from 192168.0.1, but after a while it drops again.
    > > No other user is having any problems.

    > > All the client computers are WIN XP.

    > > I have changed the nic in the client and the cat5 patch lead, but this
    > > had made no difference.

    > > This is an intermitting problem, it works then does not work and then
    > > it works again.

    > > Any help, advice would be great

    > > Cheers

    > > Niallif it's just one host on the LAN not receiving replies, I doubt it's a sonicwall problem, anyway: check the logs and arp

    > entries on the sonicwall.
    > make sure your client *is* getting a valid dhcp adress, and that there aren't any duplicates,
    >
    > also: do you have some firewall, anti-something on that particular client?

  4. Re: Sonicwall TZ170 drops connection on LAN side

    Niall: Here are some things I would check
    a. does the client have any static network configuration settings?
    b. try the problem client on different switch port on your firewall/
    switch?

    I had a similar issue with a friend of mine two days,who was trying to
    connect his laptop to his high speed cable connection...client would
    obtain a valid ip address fine from the approved network range but
    could not go anywhere on the internet...checked every possible setting/
    configuraiton on his ie but did not find anything...finally it clicked
    on me to check his network card setting and there was the problem,
    apparently his son had used the laptop at college and had set a static
    dns entry.....after 2+ hours (of free work)....

    so, give it try...
    Julio
    (somerset, pa)

    On Jan 26, 7:01 am, "genoff2000" wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > The problem i am having is, i have 15 users connect to a SBS 2003
    > server.
    >
    > My config is
    >
    > SBS 2003 with 1 Nic
    >
    > IP 192.168.0.50
    > SubNet 255.255.255.0
    > Gateway 192.168.0.1
    >
    > DNS 192.168.0.50
    >
    > Sonicwal IP LAN Side 192.168.0.1
    > WAN Port connects to ADSL
    >
    > The is problem is that one 1 clients drops connection to the
    > gateway/sonicwall.
    >
    > All clients are dhcp and on the same ip range
    >
    > When i ping 192.168.0.1 i get no reply, but if i ping SBS server
    > 192.168.0.50 i get a reply.
    > I went to another client and tried to ping 192.168.0.1 I get a reply.
    >
    > If i unplug the client with the problem nic cable and put it back in
    > again i get a reply from 192168.0.1, but after a while it drops again.
    > No other user is having any problems.
    >
    > All the client computers are WIN XP.
    >
    > I have changed the nic in the client and the cat5 patch lead, but this
    > had made no difference.
    >
    > This is an intermitting problem, it works then does not work and then
    > it works again.
    >
    > Any help, advice would be great
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Niall

  5. Re: Sonicwall TZ170 drops connection on LAN side

    Cheers J

    I will give that a try, that was the next thing i was going to do,
    change port on switch.

    I am also going to give the client a static ip address,

    Niall

    On Jan 27, 2:08 pm, "jv" wrote:
    > Niall: Here are some things I would check
    > a. does the client have any static network configuration settings?
    > b. try the problem client on different switch port on your firewall/
    > switch?
    >
    > I had a similar issue with a friend of mine two days,who was trying to
    > connect his laptop to his high speed cable connection...client would
    > obtain a valid ip address fine from the approved network range but
    > could not go anywhere on the internet...checked every possible setting/
    > configuraiton on his ie but did not find anything...finally it clicked
    > on me to check his network card setting and there was the problem,
    > apparently his son had used the laptop at college and had set a static
    > dns entry.....after 2+ hours (of free work)....
    >
    > so, give it try...
    > Julio
    > (somerset, pa)
    >
    > On Jan 26, 7:01 am, "genoff2000" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi

    > > The problem i am having is, i have 15 users connect to a SBS 2003
    > > server.

    > > My config is

    > > SBS 2003 with 1 Nic

    > > IP 192.168.0.50
    > > SubNet 255.255.255.0
    > > Gateway 192.168.0.1

    > > DNS 192.168.0.50

    > > Sonicwal IP LAN Side 192.168.0.1
    > > WAN Port connects to ADSL

    > > The is problem is that one 1 clients drops connection to the
    > > gateway/sonicwall.

    > > All clients are dhcp and on the same ip range

    > > When i ping 192.168.0.1 i get no reply, but if i ping SBS server
    > > 192.168.0.50 i get a reply.
    > > I went to another client and tried to ping 192.168.0.1 I get a reply.

    > > If i unplug the client with the problem nic cable and put it back in
    > > again i get a reply from 192168.0.1, but after a while it drops again.
    > > No other user is having any problems.

    > > All the client computers are WIN XP.

    > > I have changed the nic in the client and the cat5 patch lead, but this
    > > had made no difference.

    > > This is an intermitting problem, it works then does not work and then
    > > it works again.

    > > Any help, advice would be great

    > > Cheers

    > > Niall

  6. Re: Sonicwall TZ170 drops connection on LAN side

    genoff2000 wrote:

    > what should i be looking for in the arp table on the sonicwall

    check if the sonicwall has an arp entry for the client mac, meaning they can "see"
    each other on layer 2

  7. Re: Sonicwall TZ170 drops connection on LAN side

    On Jan 30, 9:07 am, mak wrote:
    > genoff2000 wrote:
    > > what should i be looking for in the arp table on the sonicwall

    > check if the sonicwall has an arp entry for the client mac, meaning they can "see"
    > each other on layer 2

    Cheers Mak

    I will check that out and let you know