newLisp attempting to connect to a DNS server - Firewalls

This is a discussion on newLisp attempting to connect to a DNS server - Firewalls ; Hi all, I had a question about the newLisp programming tool (available from newLisp.org). This tool is similar to the Python "Idle" tool, in that it allows a user to write and execute code directly in a command window. The ...

  1. newLisp attempting to connect to a DNS server

    Hi all,

    I had a question about the newLisp programming tool (available from
    newLisp.org). This tool is similar to the Python "Idle" tool, in that
    it allows a user to write and execute code directly in a command
    window.

    The problem I have with this tool is that it seems to want to make a
    connection to a remote DNS server. Connection details according to my
    firewall:
    Protocol used: UDP (Outbound)
    Remote Address: 203.0.178.191:53
    Local Address: 192.168.1.9:0

    The Python "Idle" tool states the following in its command window:
    Personal firewall software may warn about the connection IDLE makes to
    its subprocess using this computer's internal loopback interface.

    I guess newLisp has a similar reason for creating a network connection,
    and I would understand if it attempted to connect to the local
    loop-back address 127.0.0.1. But what would be a reason for an
    application to connect to a remote server?

    thanks for any pointers

    JJ

  2. Re: newLisp attempting to connect to a DNS server

    On Win32 newLISP will initialize the Winsocket interface, but no
    connections to remote IP addresses will be initiated. On UNIX like OSs
    this kind of network stack initialization is not happening.

    When running newLISP-tk, which is a Tcl/Tk frontend to the normal
    newLISP executable, then newLISP will open two connections via the
    loopback interface 127.0.0.1 on the ports 64001 and 64002 for
    communiations between the Tcl/Tk frontend and the newLISP executable.
    This will happen on both, Win32 and UNIX platforms.

    To sum it up: under no circumstances newLISP is trying to connect to an
    outside machine unless you wrote a script in newLISP to do so. The
    loopback address 127.0.0.1 will only be accessed using the newLISP-tk
    frontend.

    Lutz

    On Jan 25, 8:39 pm, "jjoensuu" wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I had a question about the newLisp programming tool (available from
    > newLisp.org). This tool is similar to the Python "Idle" tool, in that
    > it allows a user to write and execute code directly in a command
    > window.
    >
    > The problem I have with this tool is that it seems to want to make a
    > connection to a remote DNS server. Connection details according to my
    > firewall:
    > Protocol used: UDP (Outbound)
    > Remote Address: 203.0.178.191:53
    > Local Address: 192.168.1.9:0
    >
    > The Python "Idle" tool states the following in its command window:
    > Personal firewall software may warn about the connection IDLE makes to
    > its subprocess using this computer's internal loopback interface.
    >
    > I guess newLisp has a similar reason for creating a network connection,
    > and I would understand if it attempted to connect to the local
    > loop-back address 127.0.0.1. But what would be a reason for an
    > application to connect to a remote server?
    >
    > thanks for any pointers
    >
    > JJ

  3. Re: newLisp attempting to connect to a DNS server

    --
    Lutz Muelle
    Lutz Mueller's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=2130

    http://forums.techarena.i

  4. Re: newLisp attempting to connect to a DNS server

    ok, a couple of clarifications are probably needed:
    A. I am running newLisp on Windows XP
    B. I do not have any code in place asking newLisp to connect to a
    remote address
    C. The server that newLisp is trying to communicate with
    (203.0.178.191) is my ISPs DNS server

    I do not know why it tries to communicate with the DNS server.

    Perhaps this has something to do with the fact that I have a
    specialized firewall rule in place that limits newLisp's communication
    to the ip-address 127.0.0.1.

    Thanks for any help,

    Jarmo

    On Jan 27, 11:44 am, Lutz Mueller
    wrote:
    > On Win32 newLISP will initialize the Winsocket interface, but no
    > connections to remote IP addresses will be initiated. On UNIX like OSs
    > this kind of network stack initialization is not happening.

    > To sum it up: under no circumstances newLISP is trying to connect to an
    > outside machine unless you wrote a script in newLISP to do so. The
    > loopback address 127.0.0.1 will only be accessed using the newLISP-tk
    > frontend.

  5. Re: newLisp attempting to connect to a DNS server

    It is either the initialization of the Winsocket interface, or you are
    using the newLISP-tk frontend to communicate with the newlisp.exe via
    the 127.0.0.1 loopback interface.

    Lutz

    On Jan 28, 6:51 am, "jjoensuu" wrote:
    > ok, a couple of clarifications are probably needed:
    > A. I am runningnewLispon Windows XP
    > B. I do not have any code in place askingnewLispto connect to a
    > remote address
    > C. The server thatnewLispis trying to communicate with
    > (203.0.178.191) is my ISPs DNS server
    >
    > I do not know why it tries to communicate with the DNS server.
    >
    > Perhaps this has something to do with the fact that I have a
    > specialized firewall rule in place that limitsnewLisp'scommunication
    > to the ip-address 127.0.0.1.
    >
    > Thanks for any help,
    >
    > Jarmo
    >
    > On Jan 27, 11:44 am, Lutz Mueller
    > wrote:
    >
    > > On Win32newLISPwill initialize the Winsocket interface, but no
    > > connections to remote IP addresses will be initiated. On UNIX like OSs
    > > this kind of network stack initialization is not happening.

    > > To sum it up: under no circumstancesnewLISPis trying to connect to an
    > > outside machine unless you wrote a script innewLISPto do so. The
    > > loopback address 127.0.0.1 will only be accessed using thenewLISP-tk
    > > frontend.

+ Reply to Thread