Firewall Recommendations Needed from the Secuity Group - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Firewall Recommendations Needed from the Secuity Group - Firewalls ; Our office is in need of a new hardware firewall. I've done a little homework and narrowed my selection down to 4 vendors. Was hoping some of you that have experience with some of these could share what you liked ...

  1. Firewall Recommendations Needed from the Secuity Group

    Our office is in need of a new hardware firewall. I've done a little
    homework and narrowed my selection down to 4 vendors. Was hoping some
    of you that have experience with some of these could share what you
    liked and or disliked about each. I've only worked with Sonicwall in
    the past and none of the others.

    Requirements:
    small footprint appliance
    Firewall/VPN for 15 PC LAN
    5 VPN Client License Connections
    DMZ Optional
    Web Content Filtering
    SPAM Filter
    Virus Scan
    Intrusion Detection Protection
    24x7 support for at least 2 years

    The 4 on my list are:
    Sonicwall TZ170
    Watchguard Firebox EDGE X15
    Zywall 5UTM
    Netgear FVS124G

    David

  2. Re: Firewall Recommendations Needed from the Secuity Group

    In article <1169767402.562969.11180@m58g2000cwm.googlegroups.c om>,
    dball63@yahoo.com says...
    > Our office is in need of a new hardware firewall. I've done a little
    > homework and narrowed my selection down to 4 vendors. Was hoping some
    > of you that have experience with some of these could share what you
    > liked and or disliked about each. I've only worked with Sonicwall in
    > the past and none of the others.
    >
    > Requirements:
    > small footprint appliance
    > Firewall/VPN for 15 PC LAN
    > 5 VPN Client License Connections
    > DMZ Optional
    > Web Content Filtering
    > SPAM Filter
    > Virus Scan
    > Intrusion Detection Protection
    > 24x7 support for at least 2 years
    >

    > The 4 on my list are:
    > Sonicwall TZ170
    > Watchguard Firebox EDGE X15
    > Zywall 5UTM
    > Netgear FVS124G

    Don't like Sywall at all, support sucks and they can't answer basic
    questions.

    Sonic, good generic firewall, lots of features, would be my second pick.

    Netgear, well, they make nice low end devices and good switches, but,
    they are my last choice in firewalls, but they are my only low-end
    firewall choice when customers need something under $350.

    WatchGuard, well, they are always my first choice and they offer devices
    that do all that you ask, but the smaller units are not my first choice
    - I never install less than an X500 unit.

    DMZ - not optional.

    Web Content filtering - this is vastly different depending on the
    different products - as an example, HTTP Proxy service on WatchGuard
    will allow you to block files based on extension, will block other
    content, etc... You can also purchase "Web Blocker" that provides a
    bunch of categories to allow/block and you can create different blocking
    rules for different users/internal IP's.

    Spam/Virus scanning - WG doesn't slow down when you add this, but, I
    never install that on the firewall. I purchage a Exchange Server aware
    product like GFI Mail Security and GFI Mail Essentials to do that.

    ID - well, you have to have a real firewall, and if you want real
    intrusion detection then you need something that also runs on their
    nodes/workstations that interfaces with the firewall to block that
    infected client.

    24/7 Support - LOL, you can purchase it, but most of it's off-shore.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

  3. Re: Firewall Recommendations Needed from the Secuity Group

    Dball63 wrote:
    > Our office is in need of a new hardware firewall. I've done a little
    > homework and narrowed my selection down to 4 vendors. Was hoping some
    > of you that have experience with some of these could share what you
    > liked and or disliked about each. I've only worked with Sonicwall in
    > the past and none of the others.
    >
    > Requirements:
    > small footprint appliance
    > Firewall/VPN for 15 PC LAN
    > 5 VPN Client License Connections
    > DMZ Optional
    > Web Content Filtering
    > SPAM Filter
    > Virus Scan
    > Intrusion Detection Protection
    > 24x7 support for at least 2 years
    >

    > The 4 on my list are:
    > Sonicwall TZ170
    > Watchguard Firebox EDGE X15
    > Zywall 5UTM
    > Netgear FVS124G
    >
    > David

    just to give a second opinion, since that's what you asked for,

    If you worked with Sonicwall, I would stick with it.
    We have about 120 tz 170's out there, and they seem the right choice in your case.

    2nd choice: watchguard
    3rd netgear (don't know this model, but it's got to be better than)
    4th zywall

    that would be my order.

  4. Re: Firewall Recommendations Needed from the Secuity Group

    Hi David,

    You may also wish to visit the individual forum for each vendor:

    http://www.bradreese.com/cisco-technical-newsgroups.htm

    Sincerely,

    Brad Reese
    Cisco Resumes