Yahoo altfarm.mediaplex Error Code -12263 - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Yahoo altfarm.mediaplex Error Code -12263 - Firewalls ; Anyone have insight into this Yahoo mail browser popup alert? Alert altfarm.mediaplex.com has sent an incorrect or unexpected message. Error Code: -12263 I get this every day with Firefox on WinXP in my yahoo email. I googled but mediaplex doesn't ...

  1. Yahoo altfarm.mediaplex Error Code -12263

    Anyone have insight into this Yahoo mail browser popup alert?

    Alert
    altfarm.mediaplex.com has sent an incorrect or unexpected message.
    Error Code: -12263

    I get this every day with Firefox on WinXP in my yahoo email.

    I googled but mediaplex doesn't seem to be out there much. Why would just I
    get this yahoo-related error message?

    I do use a huge hosts file I got from the internet that blocks all sorts of
    media stuff.

    Here are the mediaplex lines:
    127.0.0.1 mediaplex.com #[eTrust.Tracking Cookie]
    127.0.0.1 adfarm.mediaplex.com #[Adware.Meplex][Adware-DesktopMedia.dr]
    127.0.0.1 altfarm.mediaplex.com #[may affect eBay][MVPS.Criteria]
    127.0.0.1 img.mediaplex.com #[Ewido.TrackingCookie.Mediaplex]
    127.0.0.1 img-snv.mediaplex.com #[Tenebril.Tracking Cookie]
    127.0.0.1 www.mediaplex.com #[SunBelt.Mediaplex.com]

    What is this mediaplex thingey trying to do to me?

  2. Re: Yahoo altfarm.mediaplex Error Code -12263

    "Sharon Morton" wrote in message
    > Anyone have insight into this Yahoo mail browser popup alert?
    >
    > Alert
    > altfarm.mediaplex.com has sent an incorrect or unexpected message.
    > Error Code: -12263
    >
    > I get this every day with Firefox on WinXP in my yahoo email.
    >
    > I googled but mediaplex doesn't seem to be out there much. Why would just
    > get this yahoo-related error message?
    >
    > I do use a huge hosts file I got from the internet that blocks all sorts
    > of
    > media stuff.
    >
    > Here are the mediaplex lines:
    > 127.0.0.1 mediaplex.com #[eTrust.Tracking Cookie]
    > 127.0.0.1 adfarm.mediaplex.com #[Adware.Meplex][Adware-DesktopMedia.dr]
    > 127.0.0.1 altfarm.mediaplex.com #[may affect eBay][MVPS.Criteria]
    > 127.0.0.1 img.mediaplex.com #[Ewido.TrackingCookie.Mediaplex]
    > 127.0.0.1 img-snv.mediaplex.com #[Tenebril.Tracking Cookie]
    > 127.0.0.1 www.mediaplex.com #[SunBelt.Mediaplex.com]

    Add altfarm.mediaplex.com to your hosts file.

  3. Re: Yahoo altfarm.mediaplex Error Code -12263

    1932 wrote:

    >> Anyone have insight into this Yahoo mail browser popup alert?

    Seems like you created it yourself, as you stated below:

    >> I do use a huge hosts file I got from the internet that blocks all sorts
    >> of media stuff.

    Sh... why do you do such nonsense?

    >> Here are the mediaplex lines:
    >> 127.0.0.1 mediaplex.com #[eTrust.Tracking Cookie]
    >> 127.0.0.1 adfarm.mediaplex.com #[Adware.Meplex][Adware-DesktopMedia.dr]
    >> 127.0.0.1 altfarm.mediaplex.com #[may affect eBay][MVPS.Criteria]
    >> 127.0.0.1 img.mediaplex.com #[Ewido.TrackingCookie.Mediaplex]
    >> 127.0.0.1 img-snv.mediaplex.com #[Tenebril.Tracking Cookie]
    >> 127.0.0.1 www.mediaplex.com #[SunBelt.Mediaplex.com]
    >>

    > Add altfarm.mediaplex.com to your hosts file.

    He did. However, if he had not already done so, it would a bad advice. As
    if these funny descriptions wouldn't be obviously idiotic enough...

  4. Re: Yahoo altfarm.mediaplex Error Code -12263

    On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 11:44:09 +0100, Sebastian Gottschalk wrote:
    >>> Anyone have insight into this Yahoo mail browser popup alert?

    > Seems like you created it yourself, as you stated below:

    Sebastian is right. It's your fault. But not for the reasons he stated.

    Both Yahoo and Ebay are well known for spying on users and feedind personal
    information back to the offshore mediaplex conglomerates.

    Mediaplex, a British consortium, pays Yahoo a tenth of a penny for your
    private habits. Think about that.

    Your privacy is only worth one tenth of a red cent to them. Do a search for
    "Mediaplex removal tool" or "Kill MediaPlex Now" to remove the registry
    keys that cause these problems.

    If you were running adaware or spyware blaster, you'd not be bothered by
    these yahoo trojans.

    It's really all your fault as Sebastian said.

    On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 11:44:09 +0100, Sebastian Gottschalk wrote:

    > 1932 wrote:
    >
    >>> Anyone have insight into this Yahoo mail browser popup alert?

    > Seems like you created it yourself, as you stated below:
    >
    >>> I do use a huge hosts file I got from the internet that blocks all sorts
    >>> of media stuff.

    > Sh... why do you do such nonsense?
    >
    >>> Here are the mediaplex lines:
    >>> 127.0.0.1 mediaplex.com #[eTrust.Tracking Cookie]
    >>> 127.0.0.1 adfarm.mediaplex.com #[Adware.Meplex][Adware-DesktopMedia.dr]
    >>> 127.0.0.1 altfarm.mediaplex.com #[may affect eBay][MVPS.Criteria]
    >>> 127.0.0.1 img.mediaplex.com #[Ewido.TrackingCookie.Mediaplex]
    >>> 127.0.0.1 img-snv.mediaplex.com #[Tenebril.Tracking Cookie]
    >>> 127.0.0.1 www.mediaplex.com #[SunBelt.Mediaplex.com]
    >>>

    >> Add altfarm.mediaplex.com to your hosts file.

    > He did. However, if he had not already done so, it would a bad advice. As
    > if these funny descriptions wouldn't be obviously idiotic enough...

  5. Re: Yahoo altfarm.mediaplex Error Code -12263

    Got Chalk wrote:

    >> Seems like you created it yourself, as you stated below:

    > Sebastian is right. It's your fault. But not for the reasons he stated.
    >
    > Both Yahoo and Ebay are well known for spying on users and feedind personal
    > information back to the offshore mediaplex conglomerates.

    Interesting what people claim to be well known, even though nobody actually
    knows it, because it's simply wrong.

    Yahoo and eBay are sell ad-space by including Mediaplex stuff. Nothing
    else. They don't aqquire or feed any information - this is what you
    explicitly have to do.

    > Your privacy is only worth one tenth of a red cent to them. Do a search for
    > "Mediaplex removal tool" or "Kill MediaPlex Now" to remove the registry
    > keys that cause these problems.

    WTF? He actually installed some of this stuff?
    If so, "removal tools" would be another dumb idea. The system was
    compromised, and you need to flatten and rebuild.

    But it seems like you got the technical perspective all wrong. A webbrowser
    opening a popup is nothing special, and displaying an error message for a
    self-initiated error isn't anything special either. I fail to see why you
    assume that anything got installed.

+ Reply to Thread