DSL Watchguard SOHO and VPN - Firewalls

This is a discussion on DSL Watchguard SOHO and VPN - Firewalls ; Greetings, I need to setup a temporary VPN at one of our offices using a DSL account. I am using a watchguard SOHO to establish the VPN tunnel. The problem I see is.... the ISP issues a router/firewall appliance to ...

  1. DSL Watchguard SOHO and VPN

    Greetings,

    I need to setup a temporary VPN at one of our offices using a DSL
    account.
    I am using a watchguard SOHO to establish the VPN tunnel.

    The problem I see is.... the ISP issues a router/firewall appliance to
    connet to the DSL service. Behind this, I need to setup my WG SOHO. The
    ISPs router is set to subnet all PCs behind it, thus subnetting my SOHO
    and making my VPN tunnel impossible to setup. (As I understand it, my
    SOHO need to be end 'end-point', with an external IP address)

    Anybody have any suggestions?
    Can the ISP's router be put into a 'passive mode'? Is there a way to
    setup MY SOHO so that the VPN tunnel will work running through the ISPs
    router?

    Confusing enough? ;-)

    Thanks!

  2. Re: DSL Watchguard SOHO and VPN

    In article <1169216932.368642.63460@v45g2000cwv.googlegroups.c om>,
    frankgrimesjr@gmail.com says...
    > Anybody have any suggestions?
    > Can the ISP's router be put into a 'passive mode'? Is there a way to
    > setup MY SOHO so that the VPN tunnel will work running through the ISPs
    > router?

    Get the ISP to set their device to BRIDGE MODE, that will give you a
    public IP on their network - you often have to call for this.

    Also, a Dynamic IP is going to cause you problems with a VPN.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

  3. Re: DSL Watchguard SOHO and VPN

    Great - I will give this a try.

    Thanks!

    Leythos wrote:
    > In article <1169216932.368642.63460@v45g2000cwv.googlegroups.c om>,
    > frankgrimesjr@gmail.com says...
    > > Anybody have any suggestions?
    > > Can the ISP's router be put into a 'passive mode'? Is there a way to
    > > setup MY SOHO so that the VPN tunnel will work running through the ISPs
    > > router?

    > Get the ISP to set their device to BRIDGE MODE, that will give you a
    > public IP on their network - you often have to call for this.
    >
    > Also, a Dynamic IP is going to cause you problems with a VPN.
    >
    > --
    >
    > spam999free@rrohio.com
    > remove 999 in order to email me

  4. Re: DSL Watchguard SOHO and VPN

    Leythos;995796 Wrote:
    > In article <1169216932.368642.63460@v45g2000cwv.googlegroups.c om>,
    > frankgrimesjr@gmail.com says...
    > > Anybody have any suggestions?
    > > Can the ISP's router be put into a 'passive mode'? Is there a way to
    > > setup MY SOHO so that the VPN tunnel will work running through th

    > ISPs
    > > router?

    > Get the ISP to set their device to BRIDGE MODE, that will give you a
    > public IP on their network - you often have to call for this.
    >
    > Also, a Dynamic IP is going to cause you problems with a VPN.

    Very true. Make sure that your ISP has given you a static IP, o
    establishing a VPN will be very difficult, if not impossible.

    Their router/firewall may also have an option for what's calle
    'Transparent mode' for IPSec, if that's what you're establishing th
    VPN with. What that will do is take IPSec packets and pass them o
    through without touching them for another program/firewall (such as th
    Watchguard) to deal with.

    Hope that helps.

    Crai

    --