Need help with ISP firewall - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Need help with ISP firewall - Firewalls ; I'm US military currently in Ecuador. We use the local ISP here and starting about a week ago, we haven't been able to webcam or make PC to phone calls using Yahoo messenger. When I attempt to, I get a ...

  1. Need help with ISP firewall

    I'm US military currently in Ecuador. We use the local ISP here and
    starting about a week ago, we haven't been able to webcam or make PC to
    phone calls using Yahoo messenger. When I attempt to, I get a message
    saying it appears I'm behind a firewall, this message even appears when
    I disable the firewall on my laptop. Is there a way to get around this
    firewall so I can web cam with my wife and kids? Several of us have
    brought this issue to the attention of our computer folks but they
    can't seem to get a solution worked out with the locals. Thanks for
    any help.

  2. Re: Need help with ISP firewall

    In article <1167407030.517613.33770@i12g2000cwa.googlegroups.c om>,
    parrishs8@yahoo.com says...
    > I'm US military currently in Ecuador. We use the local ISP here and
    > starting about a week ago, we haven't been able to webcam or make PC to
    > phone calls using Yahoo messenger. When I attempt to, I get a message
    > saying it appears I'm behind a firewall, this message even appears when
    > I disable the firewall on my laptop. Is there a way to get around this
    > firewall so I can web cam with my wife and kids? Several of us have
    > brought this issue to the attention of our computer folks but they
    > can't seem to get a solution worked out with the locals. Thanks for
    > any help.

    Short of finding an open proxy to use, or some other port to run the
    application on, there is little that you can do if the ISP is blocking
    the service/ports.

    If you are subscribing to the ISP service, have you contacted them
    yourself and asked why they are blocking the service?

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

  3. Re: Need help with ISP firewall

    parrishs8@yahoo.com wrote in news:1167407030.517613.33770
    @i12g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    > I'm US military currently in Ecuador. We use the local ISP here and
    > starting about a week ago, we haven't been able to webcam or make PC to
    > phone calls using Yahoo messenger. When I attempt to, I get a message
    > saying it appears I'm behind a firewall, this message even appears when
    > I disable the firewall on my laptop. Is there a way to get around this
    > firewall so I can web cam with my wife and kids? Several of us have
    > brought this issue to the attention of our computer folks but they
    > can't seem to get a solution worked out with the locals. Thanks for
    > any help.

    This generally shows up behind a NAT firewall. I would look to the local
    network guys before the ISP. I can't see an ISP compromising that type of
    traffic.

    --

    Whats easier for kissing random strangers? Misletoe or chloroform?

  4. Re: Need help with ISP firewall

    i agree...chances are, it is mostly the local router NATing the
    traffic. ISPs have no business blocking chatting protocols.

    But if it is infact the ISP, one option is to look for open proxy, or
    possibly have someone you know set up an ssh tunneling proxy to mask
    the data.

    On Dec 29, 10:43 am, parris...@yahoo.com wrote:
    > I'm US military currently in Ecuador. We use the local ISP here and
    > starting about a week ago, we haven't been able to webcam or make PC to
    > phone calls using Yahoo messenger. When I attempt to, I get a message
    > saying it appears I'm behind a firewall, this message even appears when
    > I disable the firewall on my laptop. Is there a way to get around this
    > firewall so I can web cam with my wife and kids? Several of us have
    > brought this issue to the attention of our computer folks but they
    > can't seem to get a solution worked out with the locals. Thanks for
    > any help.

  5. Re: Need help with ISP firewall

    In article <1167411588.212241.169160@h40g2000cwb.googlegroups. com>,
    ryanseu@gmail.com says...
    > i agree...chances are, it is mostly the local router NATing the
    > traffic. ISPs have no business blocking chatting protocols.
    >
    > But if it is infact the ISP, one option is to look for open proxy, or
    > possibly have someone you know set up an ssh tunneling proxy to mask
    > the data.

    Yahoo webcam interface with work with NAT, without opening ports, as it
    can use a proxy.

    Many foreign countries ISP's block many things that we don't get blocked
    in the USA or other more forward countries.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

  6. Re: Need help with ISP firewall

    parrishs8@yahoo.com wrote:
    > I'm US military currently in Ecuador. We use the local ISP here and
    > starting about a week ago, we haven't been able to webcam or make PC to
    > phone calls using Yahoo messenger. When I attempt to, I get a message
    > saying it appears I'm behind a firewall, this message even appears when
    > I disable the firewall on my laptop. Is there a way to get around this
    > firewall so I can web cam with my wife and kids? Several of us have
    > brought this issue to the attention of our computer folks but they
    > can't seem to get a solution worked out with the locals. Thanks for
    > any help.

    Just an update, I tried Skype today and the webcam worked great. I
    don't know what the difference is between Yahoo and Skype but I'll just
    keep using Skype. Thanks for all the help.

  7. Re: Need help with ISP firewall

    parrishs8@yahoo.com wrote in news:1167425028.007761.81270
    @s34g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    > parrishs8@yahoo.com wrote:
    >> I'm US military currently in Ecuador. We use the local ISP here and
    >> starting about a week ago, we haven't been able to webcam or make PC to
    >> phone calls using Yahoo messenger. When I attempt to, I get a message
    >> saying it appears I'm behind a firewall, this message even appears when
    >> I disable the firewall on my laptop. Is there a way to get around this
    >> firewall so I can web cam with my wife and kids? Several of us have
    >> brought this issue to the attention of our computer folks but they
    >> can't seem to get a solution worked out with the locals. Thanks for
    >> any help.

    > Just an update, I tried Skype today and the webcam worked great. I
    > don't know what the difference is between Yahoo and Skype but I'll just
    > keep using Skype. Thanks for all the help.

    Good to hear. That is a strange difference. Might warrant some
    investigation.

    --

    Whats easier for kissing random strangers? Misletoe or chloroform?

+ Reply to Thread