trouble daisy-chaining router - Firewalls

This is a discussion on trouble daisy-chaining router - Firewalls ; I have a linksys 4 port router that had wireless connected to my external modem. It had a standard config of 192.168.1.1 for the gateway. There are computers with 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.3 ont he network. Its also configured for dhcp ...

  1. trouble daisy-chaining router

    I have a linksys 4 port router that had wireless connected to my
    external modem. It had a standard config of 192.168.1.1 for the
    gateway. There are computers with 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.3 ont he
    network. Its also configured for dhcp for other computers to plug in
    and get an ip.

    The wireless part stopped working so I went and bought a netgear router
    that has 4 ports and wireless as well.

    I wanted to keep the linksys router in the closet and connect the new
    netgear router in my office area.

    I'm wondering what the network config should be on the new router. I
    configured it as 192.168.1.49, the gateway is 192.168.1.1. and the dns
    is the same as a computers on the network.

    When I connect another pc to the netgear router it can not pick up an
    ip, even though i configured it with dhcp as well.

    Any help is appreciated.

    Mike

  2. Re: trouble daisy-chaining router

    mike wrote:
    > I have a linksys 4 port router that had wireless connected to my
    > external modem. It had a standard config of 192.168.1.1 for the
    > gateway. There are computers with 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.3 ont he
    > network. Its also configured for dhcp for other computers to plug in
    > and get an ip.
    >
    > The wireless part stopped working so I went and bought a netgear router
    > that has 4 ports and wireless as well.
    >
    > I wanted to keep the linksys router in the closet and connect the new
    > netgear router in my office area.
    >
    > I'm wondering what the network config should be on the new router. I
    > configured it as 192.168.1.49, the gateway is 192.168.1.1. and the dns
    > is the same as a computers on the network.
    >
    > When I connect another pc to the netgear router it can not pick up an
    > ip, even though i configured it with dhcp as well.

    There should be only be one DHCP server on the network, which should be
    on the gateway router. One of the routers should become a switch by
    disabling the DHCP on the router.

    http://www.homenethelp.com/web/expla...d-switches.asp

    > Any help is appreciated.

    http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/...hp?p_faqid=358

    It doesn't make any difference when connecting two routers together when
    one just becomes a switch, wire to wire, wireless to wire, wireless to
    wireless, make, brand name or model. The principles are the same.

    If it's the wireless router, then it becomes a wire/WAP swicth.

    Duane

  3. Re: trouble daisy-chaining router

    He should also change the gateway router to a different base IP like
    192.168.2.1 to keep from overlapping addresses.

    "Mr. Arnold" <"Mr. Arnold"@Arnold.COM> wrote in message
    news:bxVkh.4585$yx6.1137@newsread2.news.pas.earthl ink.net...
    > mike wrote:
    >> I have a linksys 4 port router that had wireless connected to my
    >> external modem. It had a standard config of 192.168.1.1 for the
    >> gateway. There are computers with 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.3 ont he
    >> network. Its also configured for dhcp for other computers to plug in
    >> and get an ip.
    >>
    >> The wireless part stopped working so I went and bought a netgear router
    >> that has 4 ports and wireless as well.
    >>
    >> I wanted to keep the linksys router in the closet and connect the new
    >> netgear router in my office area.
    >>
    >> I'm wondering what the network config should be on the new router. I
    >> configured it as 192.168.1.49, the gateway is 192.168.1.1. and the dns
    >> is the same as a computers on the network.
    >>
    >> When I connect another pc to the netgear router it can not pick up an
    >> ip, even though i configured it with dhcp as well.
    >>

    > There should be only be one DHCP server on the network, which should be on
    > the gateway router. One of the routers should become a switch by disabling
    > the DHCP on the router.
    >
    > http://www.homenethelp.com/web/expla...d-switches.asp
    >

    >> Any help is appreciated.
    >>

    > http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/...hp?p_faqid=358
    >
    > It doesn't make any difference when connecting two routers together when
    > one just becomes a switch, wire to wire, wireless to wire, wireless to
    > wireless, make, brand name or model. The principles are the same.
    >
    > If it's the wireless router, then it becomes a wire/WAP swicth.
    >
    > Duane

  4. Re: trouble daisy-chaining router

    Woody wrote:
    > He should also change the gateway router to a different base IP like
    > 192.168.2.1 to keep from overlapping addresses.

    No, he would leave the gateway router as is and change the Device IP on
    the second router to be a static IP like 192.168.1.5 on the gateway, so
    that machines can share resources on the gateway and the switch, if he
    wants to share resources. All machines would get their DHCP from the
    gateway router or use a static IP on the gateway router, even the ones
    using the wire/WAP switch.

    Duane

+ Reply to Thread