Allow an access point for customers separate from business network - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Allow an access point for customers separate from business network - Firewalls ; If I'm in the wrong group, or if there is a group better suited to addressing this question, please let me know and I will repost there. We have a small business (art school for kids) and we want to ...

  1. Allow an access point for customers separate from business network

    If I'm in the wrong group, or if there is a group better suited to
    addressing this question, please let me know and I will repost there.

    We have a small business (art school for kids) and we want to allow
    customers to use our internet access as a perk when they are waiting. I
    am somewhat network savvy, so I understand the basic concepts of
    routing, switching, firewalls, etc., but I'm not so savvy that I know
    the available equipment and intricacies of each. IOW, I'm not exactly a
    n00b, but then I'm not an expert either otherwise I wouldn't be
    asking.....

    We just got DSL at our business. We have a Siemens DSL modem that is
    currently hard-wired to our computer. I'd like to be able to connect
    one or two more computers to this computer and the internet, and these
    can either be wired or wireless. Additionally I'd like to be able to
    provide a wireless access point for our customers separate from the
    business network.

    If I understand my requirements correctly, what I think I need is a
    small router that can separate the two networks, and wireless switch
    for the customer access point. What I don't know is if a wireless
    router can do both jobs.

    My home network is a wireless router (2Wire 1000HW) that is fairly well
    locked down. I use a 128 bit WEP and I don't broadcast the network name
    to keep casual attackers out. The advanced settings allow for public
    access to the network from the internet (disabled), a bridge network to
    allow broadband IP addresses to be used on the local network (also
    disabled, but not sure what this means), and a private network with
    DHCP addresses.

    A pointer in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

    michael

  2. Re: Allow an access point for customers separate from business network

    In article <1166981390.170802.223450@73g2000cwn.googlegroups.c om>,
    micalk@gmail.com says...
    > We have a small business (art school for kids) and we want to allow
    > customers to use our internet access as a perk when they are waiting. I
    > am somewhat network savvy, so I understand the basic concepts of
    > routing, switching, firewalls, etc., but I'm not so savvy that I know
    > the available equipment and intricacies of each. IOW, I'm not exactly a
    > n00b, but then I'm not an expert either otherwise I wouldn't be
    > asking.....
    >
    > We just got DSL at our business. We have a Siemens DSL modem that is
    > currently hard-wired to our computer. I'd like to be able to connect
    > one or two more computers to this computer and the internet, and these
    > can either be wired or wireless. Additionally I'd like to be able to
    > provide a wireless access point for our customers separate from the
    > business network.
    >
    > If I understand my requirements correctly, what I think I need is a
    > small router that can separate the two networks, and wireless switch
    > for the customer access point. What I don't know is if a wireless
    > router can do both jobs.

    Purchase a D-Link DFL-700 Router, it has two network jacks (well 3 if
    you count the WAN), one for LAN (your internal network) and DMZ for
    external/isolated connections.

    If you setup the AP in the DMZ then guests to your network won't be able
    to access your local LAN computers/network, but they will be able to
    access the internet.

    If you use any other method, where they are not isolated networks, you
    run a BIG risk that someone accessing the AP will compromise your
    network.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

  3. Re: Allow an access point for customers separate from business network

    micalk@gmail.com wrote:

    > My home network is a wireless router (2Wire 1000HW) that is fairly well
    > locked down. I use a 128 bit WEP and I don't broadcast the network name

    Where's the lock?

    > to keep casual attackers out.

    Yeah, sure. Even scriptkiddies know how to use NetStumbler and AirCrack.

    > A pointer in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

    WPAv2, IEEE 802.11i, IPsec, VPN

  4. Re: Allow an access point for customers separate from business network

    Hi,

    First of all, i'd advice you to add a switch with VLAN capability to
    totally isolate your business network from your public network. I mean
    this is the right way to do it . you can find some enterprise level
    access points that support VLANs over wireless, and i would also advice
    you to go for WPA-PSK at least ;with a really random pass-key. WEP is
    crackable in 5-10 mins max, even if you shutdown SSID broadcast.

    cheers
    Zuhair Al-Zubaidi

    On Dec 24, 9:29 pm, mic...@gmail.com wrote:
    > If I'm in the wrong group, or if there is a group better suited to
    > addressing this question, please let me know and I will repost there.
    >
    > We have a small business (art school for kids) and we want to allow
    > customers to use our internet access as a perk when they are waiting. I
    > am somewhat network savvy, so I understand the basic concepts of
    > routing, switching, firewalls, etc., but I'm not so savvy that I know
    > the available equipment and intricacies of each. IOW, I'm not exactly a
    > n00b, but then I'm not an expert either otherwise I wouldn't be
    > asking.....
    >
    > We just got DSL at our business. We have a Siemens DSL modem that is
    > currently hard-wired to our computer. I'd like to be able to connect
    > one or two more computers to this computer and the internet, and these
    > can either be wired or wireless. Additionally I'd like to be able to
    > provide a wireless access point for our customers separate from the
    > business network.
    >
    > If I understand my requirements correctly, what I think I need is a
    > small router that can separate the two networks, and wireless switch
    > for the customer access point. What I don't know is if a wireless
    > router can do both jobs.
    >
    > My home network is a wireless router (2Wire 1000HW) that is fairly well
    > locked down. I use a 128 bit WEP and I don't broadcast the network name
    > to keep casual attackers out. The advanced settings allow for public
    > access to the network from the internet (disabled), a bridge network to
    > allow broadband IP addresses to be used on the local network (also
    > disabled, but not sure what this means), and a private network with
    > DHCP addresses.
    >
    > A pointer in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

    > michael

+ Reply to Thread