Replacement for KPF 2.1.5 - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Replacement for KPF 2.1.5 - Firewalls ; Used this for quite some time. Excellent, small program for what is should do. However, over the last few months I've been having a very difficult problem re: errors with Syslog and other program problems at bootup. Problem is that ...

  1. Replacement for KPF 2.1.5

    Used this for quite some time. Excellent, small program for what is
    should do. However, over the last few months I've been having a very
    difficult problem re: errors with Syslog and other program problems at
    bootup. Problem is that nothing has changed at all with my system
    hardware or software. Tried a number of different checks, can't
    identify why this occurs (and it occurs randomly at boot up . . . . .
    reboot may or may not "fix"). Final despration is over so I'm looking
    for a replacement that is equally small and relatively unobtrusive.
    Searched through archives and threads spun about with very little in
    the way of recommendations of smaller programs. Appreciate and and
    all.
    --

    Monroe

  2. Re: Replacement for KPF 2.1.5

    Monroe wrote:

    > Used this for quite some time. Excellent, small program for what is
    > should do.

    Generic vulnerability for DoS == excellent?

    > However, over the last few months I've been having a very
    > difficult problem re: errors with Syslog and other program problems at
    > bootup. Problem is that nothing has changed at all with my system
    > hardware or software. Tried a number of different checks, can't
    > identify why this occurs (and it occurs randomly at boot up . . . . .
    > reboot may or may not "fix").

    Well, why do you wonder? This is exactly what KPF is supposed to do.

    > Final despration is over so I'm looking
    > for a replacement that is equally small and relatively unobtrusive.

    Sorry, but there are only even more bloated or serious (means: way smaller
    and non-obtrusive) alternatives.

    > Searched through archives and threads spun about with very little in
    > the way of recommendations of smaller programs. Appreciate and and
    > all.

    What, you searched and didn't find Wipfw?

  3. Re: Replacement for KPF 2.1.5

    On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 21:55:22 +0100, Sebastian Gottschalk wrote:

    > What, you searched and didn't find Wipfw?

    Do you use this product? How reliable is it? I don't know much about
    BSD's firewalls but do know IPTABLES well. How do they compare?

    --

    Regards
    Robert

    Smile... it increases your face value!

  4. Re: Replacement for KPF 2.1.5

    Robert wrote:

    > On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 21:55:22 +0100, Sebastian Gottschalk wrote:
    >
    >> What, you searched and didn't find Wipfw?

    > Do you use this product?

    Yes.

    > How reliable is it?

    Very reliable. Small, good quality code, simple design.

    > I don't know much about BSD's firewalls but do know IPTABLES well.
    > How do they compare?

    Wipfw is merely an implementation of an NDIS packet filtering driver with
    an IPFW1 controlling interface. As such, it doesn't have the capability to
    schedule, modify or generate packet, yet. The syntax itself is fully ipfw1
    compatible, thus you can reuse existing scripts - and yes, ipfw1 has a way
    cleaner and easier syntax than IpTables without being less powerful.

+ Reply to Thread