How to disable Norton Systemworks? - Firewalls

This is a discussion on How to disable Norton Systemworks? - Firewalls ; Hi I'm the (almost) proud owner of a new Wireless printer (HP 3310) which has been a cinch to configure and hook up to my home wireless network. Now I'm trying to get my laptop to talk to it but, ...

  1. How to disable Norton Systemworks?

    Hi

    I'm the (almost) proud owner of a new Wireless printer (HP 3310) which
    has been a cinch to configure and hook up to my home wireless network.
    Now I'm trying to get my laptop to talk to it but, whatever I try, I
    get the following "Issues Stopping Indstallation" -

    Symantec Settings Manager: Firewall
    Symantec Network Drivers Service: Firewall
    Symantec Event Manager: Firewall
    Symantec Core LC: Firewall

    It then gives advice, basically to disable the firewall before
    continuing. I'm using Norton Systemworks (Premier) 2006 Version:
    9.00 Build: 103. The XP Firewall is disabled and I've stopped Black
    Ice (i.e. exited). Of course, only being the owner of the laptop,
    Norton isn't about to let me do anything so simple as disable its
    programs and I can't find anything to let me do that. I've tried
    Auto-Protect, Internet Worm Protection and Windows Automatic Updates
    off but the message is always the same.

    Any help as to how I can persuade Norton to let me have control of my
    machine and enable it to talk to the printer would be greatly
    appreciated!

    Thanks in advance

    David

  2. Re: How to disable Norton Systemworks?

    Uncle Dave wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I'm the (almost) proud owner of a new Wireless printer (HP 3310) which
    > has been a cinch to configure and hook up to my home wireless network.
    > Now I'm trying to get my laptop to talk to it but, whatever I try, I
    > get the following "Issues Stopping Indstallation" -
    >
    > Symantec Settings Manager: Firewall
    > Symantec Network Drivers Service: Firewall
    > Symantec Event Manager: Firewall
    > Symantec Core LC: Firewall
    >
    > It then gives advice, basically to disable the firewall before
    > continuing. I'm using Norton Systemworks (Premier) 2006 Version:
    > 9.00 Build: 103. The XP Firewall is disabled and I've stopped Black
    > Ice (i.e. exited). Of course, only being the owner of the laptop,
    > Norton isn't about to let me do anything so simple as disable its
    > programs and I can't find anything to let me do that. I've tried
    > Auto-Protect, Internet Worm Protection and Windows Automatic Updates
    > off but the message is always the same.
    >
    > Any help as to how I can persuade Norton to let me have control of my
    > machine and enable it to talk to the printer would be greatly
    > appreciated!
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > David

    You go to the Windows Services screen and shutdown the Norton service.
    You use MSconfig in the Run Box, you go to the Start-up tab, and you
    uncheck anything that looks like Norton.

  3. Re: How to disable Norton Systemworks?

    On 22 Dec 2006 13:04:12 -0800, "Uncle Dave"
    wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >I'm the (almost) proud owner of a new Wireless printer (HP 3310) which
    >has been a cinch to configure and hook up to my home wireless network.
    >Now I'm trying to get my laptop to talk to it but, whatever I try, I
    >get the following "Issues Stopping Indstallation" -
    >
    >Symantec Settings Manager: Firewall
    >Symantec Network Drivers Service: Firewall
    >Symantec Event Manager: Firewall
    >Symantec Core LC: Firewall
    >
    >It then gives advice, basically to disable the firewall before
    >continuing. I'm using Norton Systemworks (Premier) 2006 Version:
    >9.00 Build: 103. The XP Firewall is disabled and I've stopped Black
    >Ice (i.e. exited). Of course, only being the owner of the laptop,
    >Norton isn't about to let me do anything so simple as disable its
    >programs and I can't find anything to let me do that. I've tried
    >Auto-Protect, Internet Worm Protection and Windows Automatic Updates
    >off but the message is always the same.
    >
    >Any help as to how I can persuade Norton to let me have control of my
    >machine and enable it to talk to the printer would be greatly
    >appreciated!
    >
    >Thanks in advance
    >
    >David

    BlackICE is NOT disabled by exiting from the monitoring utility. You
    must first right-click on "Stop BlackICE Engine". You may have to do
    this a couple of times. You will know the engine has been disabled
    when you see a red slash over the BlackICE icon in the System Tray.
    Only then should you exit from the monitoring utility. This is
    sometimes necessary when running defragger or disk repair utilities,
    especially under W98SE.

    BlackICE is probably NOT causing your problem, but check your BlackICE
    "Advanced Firewall Settings" to see whether or not it is allowing
    communications over the ports required by your wireless printer. You
    are on the right track in thinking it wise to temporarily disable
    BlackICE while trouble shooting.

    I like BlackICE. It has some quirks, but is generally reliable and
    effective and has caused me few problems. BlackICE seems to work
    differently than most other firewalls. It co-exists nicely with other
    firewalls, though other firewalls always caution against running a
    second firewall.

    Also check your router, if you are using one. It may be blocking
    wireless printer and file sharing by default.

    Symantec Norton products have become a disaster the past couple of
    years. They install lots of resident modules to check that you have a
    current license, then fail to uninstall these modules when you decide
    to uninstall the program. After uninstalling a Symantec Norton program
    you may have hundreds of abandoned registry entries to clean out
    manually. The odds are good that you will never identify and remove
    all the garbage.

    You will probably also have junk left in your "Program Files" and
    "Common Files" folders after uninstalling Symantec stuff.

    Many computer repair technicians complain that Symantec software is
    responsible for many of the problems their customers cannot solve.

    Survivor @ Ground.Zero

  4. Re: How to disable Norton Systemworks?

    Survivor wrote:

    > I like BlackICE. It has some quirks, but is generally reliable and
    > effective and has caused me few problems. BlackICE seems to work
    > differently than most other firewalls. It co-exists nicely with other
    > firewalls, though other firewalls always caution against running a
    > second firewall.

    I've been using it for a couple of years now and had no rela
    problems either.

    > Also check your router, if you are using one. It may be blocking
    > wireless printer and file sharing by default.

    I'm also the (not quite so proud as I've had a lot of trouble with
    it) owner of a newish MacBook Pro and that was a cinch to hook up to
    the printer and I've been using that over the holidays. I'll have
    another go at the Windows machine when I feel up to it - I have a very
    short fuse with ill-behaved technology ;-)

    > Many computer repair technicians complain that Symantec software is
    > responsible for many of the problems their customers cannot solve.

    I'm reaching the point where I might give up on MS - my Windows
    laptop needs to be upgraded to run Vista and this nonsense with Norton
    is tipping the scales.

    I've been a user of Norton Utilities since pre-Windows days and
    have used their security products for several years now but they are
    getting beyond a joke. Consecutive versions have decreased user
    control to the point where - witness this thread - you can't even just
    switch the damn thing off any more. Apart from adware, the only virus
    I ever got was harmless and Black Ice does a good job keeping intruders
    out so I probably don't need always on protection. In fact I know I
    don't - dodgy emails are either deleted by the spam filter or me so
    I'll give a lot of thought to renewing my licence in a few months time.
    Let's face it, most of NU is now standard in the main OSes and with
    the cost of storage nowadays who really needs to be diagnosing disks
    and curing problems?

    Cheers and thanks both for the suggestions

    UD

  5. Re: How to disable Norton Systemworks?

    On 27 Dec 2006 03:56:49 -0800, "Uncle Dave"
    wrote:

    > I'm also the (not quite so proud as I've had a lot of trouble with
    >it) owner of a newish MacBook Pro and that was a cinch to hook up to
    >the printer and I've been using that over the holidays. I'll have
    >another go at the Windows machine when I feel up to it - I have a very
    >short fuse with ill-behaved technology ;-)
    >
    >> Many computer repair technicians complain that Symantec software is
    >> responsible for many of the problems their customers cannot solve.

    > I'm reaching the point where I might give up on MS - my Windows
    >laptop needs to be upgraded to run Vista and this nonsense with Norton
    >is tipping the scales.

    EVERY computer needs to be upgraded to run Vista and probably most
    should NOT be "upgraded"!

    Why do you feel you must run Vista? I wouldn't bother "upgrading" to
    what will surely be a slower operating system. Besides, every new
    Microsoft OS has been full of serious bugs. If there is something that
    Vista offers that you must have, then WAIT until Vista SP-1 is
    released!

    Most likely you can get most of Vista's functionality by adding your
    own third-party utilities to enhance WinXP's security and graphics
    functions. You are already doing that by running BlackICE under WinXP!

    > I've been a user of Norton Utilities since pre-Windows days and
    >have used their security products for several years now but they are
    >getting beyond a joke.

    It's not the same people or the same company. Peter Norton left a long
    time ago.

    >Consecutive versions have decreased user
    >control to the point where - witness this thread - you can't even just
    >switch the damn thing off any more. Apart from adware, the only virus
    >I ever got was harmless and Black Ice does a good job keeping intruders
    >out so I probably don't need always on protection. In fact I know I
    >don't - dodgy emails are either deleted by the spam filter or me so
    >I'll give a lot of thought to renewing my licence in a few months time.
    > Let's face it, most of NU is now standard in the main OSes and with
    >the cost of storage nowadays who really needs to be diagnosing disks
    >and curing problems?

    Don't become manic. NTFS-formatted disks are much more resistant to
    corruption than FAT and FAT32, but problems do develop with the
    various indices that NTFS maintains. That's why you still need a
    program to identify problems that might cause performance problems or
    data loss. (Most of these utilities seem to rely upon WinXP's chkdsk
    to actually correct problems "off-line", that is, during a reboot. If
    you are disciplined, you could learn to routinely initiate chkdsk,
    perhaps once or twice per month. Prior to NTFS, Norton Disk Doctor and
    the other disk repair utilities mostly corrected software problems.
    There are only a rare few utilities, notably Gibson's Spinrite, which
    actually corrected hardware corruption by recovering data bits and
    rewriting them to a reformatted sector.

    As for viruses and trojans, you've either been lucky or have limited
    your activities to safer ones.

    For many years I never ran real time anti-virus protection, because my
    out-of-date hardware was too slow to handle the overhead. I got along
    fine by downloading everything into one folder, then scanning it
    manually with a half dozen different anti-virus scanners. Eventually I
    decided that a program that used Kaspersky Labs' anti-virus signatures
    was all I really needed, since Kaspersky Labs was identifying malware
    before their competitors, sometimes weeks or months before.

    Despite my caution, I was hit by viruses twice; one virus had just
    been released. It corrupted a lot of files on my boot drive, but none
    on other volumes. So I learned that real safety requires patience;
    that is, it's wise to age downloads before playing with them, so the
    anti-virus vendors have time to receive reports. I have personally
    reported over 30 new trojan-dropper variations to Kaspersky, written
    by one psychotic Usenet miscreant whose handiwork I have come to
    recognize. I didn't bother submitting any of these to other vendors.

    Trojan writers have become more sophisticated, so I now run real-time
    protection (I junked the slowest machine). I think it's become a
    necessity. You need to be particularly careful with password-protected
    archives, since the passwords can prevent anti-virus programs from
    scanning them. However, a real-time scanner should identify the
    malware as it is extracted. (You should manually scan your entire hard
    disk after receiving a notification from your anti-virus program, the
    trojan-dropper may have already dropped it's payload!)

    Whether or not you are at risk largely depends upon where you fish;
    Usenet newsgroups are very polluted waters.

    I strongly recommend you just dump the Symantec stuff, carefully
    remove any remnants, then try to solve your wireless networking
    problem. Afterwards install either a Kaspersky or AVG product
    alongside BlackICE. I've looked at AVG freeware only quickly. It seems
    to do a reasonably good job, though it misses some adware and spyware
    that Kaspersky identifies.

    >Cheers and thanks both for the suggestions
    >
    >UD

    Good luck to you!

    Survivor @ Ground.Zero

+ Reply to Thread