Is it worth turning on a motherboard firewall - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Is it worth turning on a motherboard firewall - Firewalls ; I have recently had to upgrade my motherboard after the last one blew up. The Asus A8N-SLI Premium board I now have uses an NVidea firewall built in (NVFirewall). It states that it works at device level to protect the ...

  1. Is it worth turning on a motherboard firewall

    I have recently had to upgrade my motherboard after the last one blew up.

    The Asus A8N-SLI Premium board I now have uses an NVidea firewall built in
    (NVFirewall). It states that it works at device level to protect the system.

    The thing is that I use a router (Linksys BEFSR11) and have Zone Alarm Free
    also present. With these two in place, is there any advantage in activating
    the motherboard firewall as well, or will it just slow down the system
    without any real benefit.

    Thanks for any help you can provide.

    Martin

  2. Re: Is it worth turning on a motherboard firewall

    In message "Martin C"
    wrote:

    >I have recently had to upgrade my motherboard after the last one blew up.
    >
    >The Asus A8N-SLI Premium board I now have uses an NVidea firewall built in
    >(NVFirewall). It states that it works at device level to protect the system.
    >
    >The thing is that I use a router (Linksys BEFSR11) and have Zone Alarm Free
    >also present. With these two in place, is there any advantage in activating
    >the motherboard firewall as well, or will it just slow down the system
    >without any real benefit.

    Actually, due to the way the chip is designed, it's reportedly more
    efficient with the firewall enabled.

    --
    Politicians, like diapers, have to be changed frequently,
    and for the very same reason.

  3. Re: Is it worth turning on a motherboard firewall

    Martin C wrote:

    > The thing is that I use a router (Linksys BEFSR11) and have Zone Alarm Free
    > also present. With these two in place, is there any advantage in activating
    > the motherboard firewall as well, or will it just slow down the system
    > without any real benefit.

    Couldn't be more obvious. You're already slowing down your system, and as
    you're twisting a router with a firewall and using a crappy personal
    network disco, you also don't seem to have any clue what you're doing.

  4. Re: Is it worth turning on a motherboard firewall

    It's what happens when you overclock the cpu and overrate the power supply.

    Martin C wrote:

    > I have recently had to upgrade my motherboard after the last one blew up.
    >
    > The Asus A8N-SLI Premium board I now have uses an NVidea firewall built in
    > (NVFirewall). It states that it works at device level to protect the system.
    >
    > The thing is that I use a router (Linksys BEFSR11) and have Zone Alarm Free
    > also present. With these two in place, is there any advantage in activating
    > the motherboard firewall as well, or will it just slow down the system
    > without any real benefit.
    >
    > Thanks for any help you can provide.
    >
    > Martin

+ Reply to Thread