Internet access problem - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Internet access problem - Firewalls ; Internet access and IDServe problem This isn't a firewall issue, but I lurk in this group. I also just posted a similar question into microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless because it seemed to be an active group involving wireless and networking. - Connectivity: Motorola ...

  1. Internet access problem

    Internet access and IDServe problem

    This isn't a firewall issue, but I lurk in this group. I also just
    posted a similar question into
    microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless because it seemed to be an
    active group involving wireless and networking.

    - Connectivity: Motorola SB4100 cable modem to TimeWarner
    infrastructure, dynamic IP
    - Provider: EarthLink - present IP
    - LAN: recent AirLink AR325W wirelessG 4 port ethernet replacing
    Linksys BEFSR41 wired, died
    - LAN elements: 3 ethernet wired running various operating systems
    half Win98se, half linux mostly ubuntu, one wireless Win98se with
    RealTek RTL8185 wireless pci nic branded as compusa wireless G pci
    adapter, alternately configured to access an AirLink AP421W ethernet
    access point or the AR325W wireless via channel 11 or 6 resp.

    Problem: since replacing the linksys befsr with the airlink 325 router,
    the wireless W98 cannot get webpages with its browser/s, however, it can
    see and transact readwrite with the other computers on the network, it
    can ping the WAN IPs, it can resolve domainnames. It cannot ping
    domainnames.

    Longer story: The W98se wireless could previously access the internet
    via the AirLink AP which was ethernetted to the Linksys BEFSR41.
    Currently the wireless problem computer can do everything equally well
    or equally poorly via the airlink access point or the airlink wireless
    router, namely use the LAN and ping and resolve names on the internet,
    but not get webpages and not get idservice from the same names it can
    ping. There is no software firewall.

    Normal computer follows:

    Initiating server query ...
    Looking up IP address for domain: www.google.com
    The IP address for the domain is: 72.14.253.99
    Connecting to the server on standard HTTP port: 80
    [Connected] Requesting the server's default page.
    The server returned the following response headers:
    HTTP/1.1 200 OK
    Cache-Control: private
    Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 19:47:23 GMT
    Query complete.

    Problem computer follows:

    12/16/06 11:32:18 ping www.google.com
    Ping www.google.com (72.14.253.99) ...
    1 Addr:72.14.253.99, RTT: 87ms, TTL: 237
    2 Addr:72.14.253.99, RTT: 86ms, TTL: 237
    3 Addr:72.14.253.99, RTT: 87ms, TTL: 237

    Initiating server query ...
    Looking up IP address for domain: www.google.com
    The IP address for the domain is: 72.14.253.99
    Connecting to the server on standard HTTP port: 80
    No response was received from the machine and port at that IP. The
    machine may be offline or the connection port may be stealthed.
    Query complete.

    As a result of that, I can't get webpages. I also can't telnet or
    IDServe transact with such as the pop or smtp server, but I can ping
    them by name.

    --
    Mike Easter

  2. Re: Internet access problem

    Mike Easter wrote:

    > This isn't a firewall issue, but I lurk in this group.

    Maybe this /is/ a firewall/NAT issue somehow.

    It seems to me that I am resolving and reaching the internet targets,
    but I am not getting anything back from them, as if the return response
    were getting 'lost' in the router somehow.

    There is no difference between the way the wired computers which are
    working fine with the routers are configured compared to the wired one;
    that I know of. That is, they look the same in the router client list.

    I'm a little puzzled by how the IP addressing works. Currently the
    problem wireless computer is being numbered 192.168.1.101 while the
    access point on the ethernet is hardwired configured to be 192.168.1.250
    for browser access purposes, just like the router is 192.168.1.1 for
    both browser access as well as networking. However, the airlink router
    says that its range is 100-199, which would exclude the 250. But, the
    250 AP doesn't show up at all in the router's clients.

    But, as far as the network is concerned, the wireless computer appears
    just fine, and it seems to know its IP address. So, why shouldn't the
    router send responses to the 101 wireless computer the same way it sends

    Mike Easter

  3. Re: Internet access problem

    How much do you want for your Linksys BEFSR41? See the problem is the power
    cord but i guess you never tried changing that.

    Mike Easter wrote:

    > Internet access and IDServe problem
    >
    > This isn't a firewall issue, but I lurk in this group. I also just
    > posted a similar question into
    > microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless because it seemed to be an
    > active group involving wireless and networking.
    >
    > - Connectivity: Motorola SB4100 cable modem to TimeWarner
    > infrastructure, dynamic IP
    > - Provider: EarthLink - present IP
    > - LAN: recent AirLink AR325W wirelessG 4 port ethernet replacing
    > Linksys BEFSR41 wired, died
    > - LAN elements: 3 ethernet wired running various operating systems
    > half Win98se, half linux mostly ubuntu, one wireless Win98se with
    > RealTek RTL8185 wireless pci nic branded as compusa wireless G pci
    > adapter, alternately configured to access an AirLink AP421W ethernet
    > access point or the AR325W wireless via channel 11 or 6 resp.
    >
    > Problem: since replacing the linksys befsr with the airlink 325 router,
    > the wireless W98 cannot get webpages with its browser/s, however, it can
    > see and transact readwrite with the other computers on the network, it
    > can ping the WAN IPs, it can resolve domainnames. It cannot ping
    > domainnames.
    >
    > Longer story: The W98se wireless could previously access the internet
    > via the AirLink AP which was ethernetted to the Linksys BEFSR41.
    > Currently the wireless problem computer can do everything equally well
    > or equally poorly via the airlink access point or the airlink wireless
    > router, namely use the LAN and ping and resolve names on the internet,
    > but not get webpages and not get idservice from the same names it can
    > ping. There is no software firewall.
    >
    > Normal computer follows:
    >
    > Initiating server query ...
    > Looking up IP address for domain: www.google.com
    > The IP address for the domain is: 72.14.253.99
    > Connecting to the server on standard HTTP port: 80
    > [Connected] Requesting the server's default page.
    > The server returned the following response headers:
    > HTTP/1.1 200 OK

  4. Re: Internet access problem

    Tony wrote:
    > How much do you want for your Linksys BEFSR41? See the problem is the
    > power cord but i guess you never tried changing that.

    The PS is a 1 amp 9 v AC output wallwart. My experience with wallwart
    failures is all or nothing, but I didn't test the voltage output.

    Why do you suppose the linksys failure is related to a PS problem? The
    status condition is that the diagnostic light is steady red; if the
    reset button is held down during powerup, all the led lights come on
    transiently then go off except for the power light, the link light, and
    the steady diagnostic red light. If it is just powered up without the
    reset being depressed, the above 3 lights just come on without the
    transient 'panel' lighting.

    I have various warts around here, but none of them are 9 v AC output. I
    have 6 DC, 15 DC, and 12 AC.

    --
    Mike Easter

  5. Re: Internet access problem

    Perfect working condition just needs a working power supply.

    Mike Easter wrote:

    > Tony wrote:
    > > How much do you want for your Linksys BEFSR41? See the problem is the
    > > power cord but i guess you never tried changing that.

    > The PS is a 1 amp 9 v AC output wallwart. My experience with wallwart
    > failures is all or nothing, but I didn't test the voltage output.
    >
    > Why do you suppose the linksys failure is related to a PS problem? The
    > status condition is that the diagnostic light is steady red; if the
    > reset button is held down during powerup, all the led lights come on
    > transiently then go off except for the power light, the link light, and
    > the steady diagnostic red light. If it is just powered up without the
    > reset being depressed, the above 3 lights just come on without the
    > transient 'panel' lighting.
    >
    > I have various warts around here, but none of them are 9 v AC output. I
    > have 6 DC, 15 DC, and 12 AC.
    >
    > --
    > Mike Easter

  6. Re: Internet access problem

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > Internet access and IDServe problem

    So, then it is a total mystery about why one should be able to ping
    something while you can't telnet or IDServe or otherwise transact with
    it over various ports?

    Must be something spooky.

    That seems more interesting than wallwart voltages.

    --
    Mike Easter

+ Reply to Thread