Re: Looking For Decent Free Firewall - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Re: Looking For Decent Free Firewall - Firewalls ; Worthless - it is a one way wall. Blocks stuff coming in, but not out bound. A good hack can pull anything off your box. B. Nice wrote: > On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 22:25:51 GMT, "Al" wrote: > >> ...

  1. Re: Looking For Decent Free Firewall

    B. Nice wrote:
    > On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 22:25:51 GMT, "Al" wrote:
    >
    >> I am using the free Avast anti-virus program and Ad-Aware for my personal
    >> computer. I use a dial-up ISP. Would installing a firewall be a good idea
    >> for me? I do go on the Internet regularly. If so, is there a decent free
    >> firewall that's user friendly and easy to use use? I would consider myself
    >> an intermediate user (not advanced), so I don't want one that is complicated
    >> and assumes the user has much technical knowledge. Any advice would be
    >> appreciated.
    >> Al
    >>

    > Just make sure your windows firewall is turned on.

  2. Re: Looking For Decent Free Firewall

    Gary wrote:

    >> Just make sure your windows firewall is turned on.

    > Worthless - it is a one way wall. Blocks stuff coming in, but not out
    > bound.

    Worthful - it doesn't spend complexity and resources on useless trials.

    > A good hack can pull anything off your box.

    That's exactly no difference from any other host-based packet filter.

  3. Re: Looking For Decent Free Firewall

    On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 19:14:47 GMT, Gary wrote:

    >Worthless

    Nope.

    > - it is a one way wall.

    I know.

    >Blocks stuff coming in, but not outbound.

    I know.

    But if you need outbound application control as a weapon against
    malware you are trying to fight malware already running inside the
    system you are trying to protect - in which case you should already be
    in the process of restoring your machine to a clean state - since you
    lost the game.

    >A good hack can pull anything off your box.

    That's true in any case.

+ Reply to Thread