Secure way of listening internet radio - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Secure way of listening internet radio - Firewalls ; I'm going to use Winamp for listening internet radio. Sunbelt Kerio PFW is used and its usage is based on Packet Filter Module. How should I connect to broadcast servers to have to have opened only limited number of ports ...

  1. Secure way of listening internet radio

    I'm going to use Winamp for listening internet radio.
    Sunbelt Kerio PFW is used and its usage is based on Packet Filter
    Module.

    How should I connect to broadcast servers to have to have opened only
    limited number of ports instead of a wide range of ports ?
    What stream format is best for use from security point of view ?
    What form of URL's do then apply ?
    I wish to have define in my FW a packet filter rule
    opening a small number of ports.
    Now I have open inbound for TCP and remote port range 1000 to 65535,
    local port range 1024 to 4999.
    But I think there could be a way for listening internet radio,
    where I don't have to open so many of ports.

    Thanks for any hints in advance.

  2. Re: Secure way of listening internet radio

    Eh... uninstall Kerio Personal Network-Up****er?

    > What stream format is best for use from security point of view?

    SRTP.

    > What form of URL's do then apply ?

    The normal form.

    > I wish to have define in my FW a packet filter rule
    > opening a small number of ports.

    What firewall?

    > Now I have open inbound for TCP and remote port range 1000 to 65535,
    > local port range 1024 to 4999.

    D'oh!

    > But I think there could be a way for listening internet radio,
    > where I don't have to open so many of ports.

    Well, what firewall are you using? If f.e. you're running
    netfilter/iptables, there are various conntrack modules for (s)rtp, rtsp
    and mms.

  3. Re: Secure way of listening internet radio

    In article <4ue0k7F17trekU1@mid.dfncis.de>, seppi@seppig.de says...
    > D'oh!

    So rather than help, all you can do is insult the poster? Just keep
    proving what I've said about you.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

  4. Re: Secure way of listening internet radio

    Leythos wrote:

    >So rather than help, all you can do is insult the poster?

    You sound surprised.

  5. Re: Secure way of listening internet radio

    Sebastian Gottschalk napisal(a):

    > What firewall?
    >
    > Well, what firewall are you using? If f.e. you're running
    > netfilter/iptables, there are various conntrack modules for (s)rtp, rtsp
    > and mms.

    As indicated in the message beginning: SKPFW - Sunbelt Kerio Personnal
    FW.
    Quite good.

  6. Re: Secure way of listening internet radio

    kaweka wrote:

    > Sebastian Gottschalk napisal(a):
    >>
    >> What firewall?
    >>
    >> Well, what firewall are you using? If f.e. you're running
    >> netfilter/iptables, there are various conntrack modules for (s)rtp, rtsp
    >> and mms.

    > As indicated in the message beginning: SKPFW - Sunbelt Kerio Personnal
    > FW.

    That's no firewall, that's host-based packet filter.

    > Quite good.

    No, totally unsuitable for your and about any other scenario.

+ Reply to Thread