Is it better to imlement a VPN in a Firewall or at the server? - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Is it better to imlement a VPN in a Firewall or at the server? - Firewalls ; Is it better to implement a VPN in a Firewall or at the server? Give reasons. I am new to this area but it fascinates me. What are benefits of it being implemented at the server? What are benefits of ...

  1. Is it better to imlement a VPN in a Firewall or at the server?

    Is it better to implement a VPN in a Firewall or at the server? Give
    reasons.
    I am new to this area but it fascinates me. What are benefits of it
    being implemented at the server?
    What are benefits of it being implemented at the Firewall?

    George

  2. Re: Is it better to imlement a VPN in a Firewall or at the server?

    In article <1166078801.258882.143060@t46g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>,
    wrote:
    > Is it better to implement a VPN in a Firewall or at the server? Give
    >reasons.

    When you phrase it like that, it sounds like a homework assignment.
    We don't do people's homework for them.

    >I am new to this area but it fascinates me. What are benefits of it
    >being implemented at the server?
    >What are benefits of it being implemented at the Firewall?

    What have you decided so far, and what points have you thought of
    but do not know yet how to resolve? For the points you do not
    know how to decide as yet: Give reasons.

  3. Re: Is it better to imlement a VPN in a Firewall or at the server?

    In article <1166078801.258882.143060@t46g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>,
    me_agen@yahoo.com says...
    > Is it better to implement a VPN in a Firewall or at the server? Give
    > reasons.
    > I am new to this area but it fascinates me. What are benefits of it
    > being implemented at the server?
    > What are benefits of it being implemented at the Firewall?

    It's better to terminate VPN's at the firewall appliance or a VPN
    concentrator, than at a "server".

    We always require users to use one use/password for the VPN and another
    user/password for their "server" access. This means that they have to
    provide two different forms of authentication to make a connection.

    Additionally, by terminating the VPN at the firewall we can restrict
    what ports hit the LAN side of the network - as an example, for IT
    Department VPN's we might allow all IP/Ports, while remote workers might
    be limited to 3389 and the IP of the terminal server.

    If you properly terminate the VPN users, then restrict their access,
    there is little chance that your server will get exploited/compromised
    through the vpn connection attempts.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

  4. Re: Is it better to imlement a VPN in a Firewall or at the server?

    me_agen@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Is it better to implement a VPN in a Firewall or at the server? Give
    > reasons.
    > I am new to this area but it fascinates me. What are benefits of it
    > being implemented at the server?
    > What are benefits of it being implemented at the Firewall?

    There is no generic answer to that question. What are you trying to
    achieve? And what are you using to implement that VPN?

    cu
    59cobalt
    --Mark Russinovich

+ Reply to Thread