Blocking URLS & Domains - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Blocking URLS & Domains - Firewalls ; Hi just got my wirwless router set up and secure. I now need to set up the firewall properly. I have a rather "resourceful" teenager accessing the internet, any suggestions on which URL's, domains and ports I should block to ...

  1. Blocking URLS & Domains

    Hi just got my wirwless router set up and secure. I now need to set up the
    firewall properly. I have a rather "resourceful" teenager accessing the
    internet, any suggestions on which URL's, domains and ports I should block
    to stop any unsavory or illegal activities?

    thanks

    Rick

  2. Re: Blocking URLS & Domains

    Rick Stevens wrote:
    > Hi just got my wirwless router set up and secure. I now need to set
    > up the firewall properly. I have a rather "resourceful" teenager
    > accessing the internet, any suggestions on which URL's, domains and
    > ports I should block to stop any unsavory or illegal activities?

    Some resourceful teenagers should be used as consultants rather than
    treated as 'adversaries' with access to the computer.

    --
    Mike Easter

  3. Re: Blocking URLS & Domains

    "Rick Stevens" wrote in message
    > Hi just got my wirwless router set up and secure. I now need to set up
    > the firewall properly. I have a rather "resourceful" teenager accessing
    > the internet, any suggestions on which URL's, domains and ports I should
    > block to stop any unsavory or illegal activities?

    Hi,

    Many of the current router will log a list of URLs visited. If yours can do
    this you already have access to his favourite places. It often isn't
    necessary
    to actually block, but simply let the teen know their activity is logged to
    protect the innocent. (little brother or sister maybe walking in on them)

    If not, the list of unsavoury sites is far to long to put in by hand and I
    would
    suggest a commercial product like Net-Nanny or the like.

+ Reply to Thread