Re: Your thoughts on my network security. - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Re: Your thoughts on my network security. - Firewalls ; Sebastian Gottschalk wrote: > Kinski wrote: > >> On Wed, 6 Dec 2006 18:59:17 +0100, Sebastian Gottschalk >> wrote: >> >>> Actually just the claim of removal makes them totally unserious. At any >>> rate, why don't read a nice ...

  1. Re: Your thoughts on my network security.

    Sebastian Gottschalk wrote:
    > Kinski wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 6 Dec 2006 18:59:17 +0100, Sebastian Gottschalk
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Actually just the claim of removal makes them totally unserious. At any
    >>> rate, why don't read a nice article about Ad-Aware on
    >>> , which describes how ****ed up this thing actually
    >>> is?

    >> Got a link? I searched through the blogs and forums and found nothing
    >> on Adaware.

    jesus, is there any decent software out there?

    what do You use to find spyware, malware etc.
    (I know, you're gonna say: why do you have this crap on your system in the first place)
    let's just say a customer needs your help and flattening is not an option (yet)-
    what would you use to clean the system.

  2. Re: Your thoughts on my network security.

    mak wrote:

    > jesus, is there any decent software out there?

    Eh... no? Of course not, spyware scanning is like searching in the dark
    room for the black cat that isn't there. On a clean system, I've always
    seen such a huge load of false positives that I wonder what the reports of
    these programs on a unknown system are worth - after all, it will always
    claim a compromise but no useful explanation.

    > what do You use to find spyware, malware etc.

    Nothing at all. Well, I do run ClamAV to prefilter incoming stuff, but just
    for convience.

    > (I know, you're gonna say: why do you have this crap on your system in the first place)

    Indeed. Scanning is intrusion detecting, not protection.

    > let's just say a customer needs your help and flattening is not an option (yet)-
    > what would you use to clean the system.

    Nothing. I'd recommend flattening, and if the customer doesn't want to
    accept this beside all arguments, I'd leave and let him pay for the service
    served so far. And put him onto the ignore list. He's not worth all the
    trouble.

    Counter point: You did try to clean the system, but you weren't successful.
    Then you may face legal actions for getting paid for an improper job on
    trying the impossible, and many other customers will avoid you as well.
    That's really bad!

+ Reply to Thread