CLI app - allow access? - Firewalls

This is a discussion on CLI app - allow access? - Firewalls ; "Sebastian Gottschalk" wrote in message news:4u7nukF177gmmU1@mid.dfncis.de... > Vanguard wrote: > >> "Sebastian Gottschalk" wrote in message >> news:4u6iftF16f8unU1@mid.dfncis.de... >>> Vanguard wrote: >>> >>> [X-no-archive header] >>> >>>> Google just carried on the tradition from Deja News that they >>>> bought. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 24 of 24

  1. Re: X-no-archive, what is it good for? (was: CLI app - allow access?)

    "Sebastian Gottschalk" wrote in message
    > Vanguard wrote:
    >
    >> "Sebastian Gottschalk" wrote in message
    >>> Vanguard wrote:
    >>>
    >>> [X-no-archive header]

    >>> Not every tradition makes sense.

    >> So why are YOU participating in that non-sensical tradition by
    >> using

    > Because it makes Google hurt themselves (which is fun), and it
    > doesn't
    > disturb otherwise?

    You just make yourself look foolish, like the dufus in a fight that is
    losing the fight, can barely stand, and mutters past his bleeding lips
    at the victor, "Oh yeah, you thinks that hurts me, huh, huh." Google
    will parse EVERY post that it receives to check for the header and
    will set an attribute for that post to make it eligible in their
    auto-expiration process. I think it is 6 days that a no-archive post
    will hang around. Your piddly attempt to hurt Google is like you
    spitting in the ocean to raise the sea level. You aren't hurting
    anyone but yourself in making yourself look foolish. I suppose
    slapping a paddle into the ocean could in some miniscule way affect
    the tides but no one cares and no one will notice and everyone will
    just think you are a nut that is splashing around in the ocean.

  2. Re: X-no-archive, what is it good for?

    Vanguard wrote:

    > You just make yourself look foolish,

    I'd rather say you do, because you're discussing about a trivial
    non-issue. And you ignore fup2p.

    > I suppose slapping a paddle into the ocean could in some miniscule way
    > affect the tides but no one cares and no one will notice

    Well, obviously except some trolls like you, as can be seen in that
    sub-thread.

  3. Re: X-no-archive, what is it good for?

    > Vanguard wrote:
    >
    >> You just make yourself look foolish.

    > I don't make myself look anyway. No one cares for the headers.
    > BTW, you're using Outlook Express. How stupid does that look?

    I have trialed several other newsreaders. I came back to OE not
    because it was the best NNTP client but because the others only
    provide marginally better features, and to change requires more
    impetus than just because it is different. Periodically I re-review
    the other choices but I want something significantly BETTER than OE.
    I need a good reason to switch, not an excuse.

    Agent is only useful in the paid version as it becomes too overly
    crippled in the free version - and if I'm going to compare against OE
    then I compare against free versions. Besides, regular expressions
    would be the major reason why I would move to Agent but as I've been
    told (in their newsgroups) and read in their documentation it only has
    them in searches which can be saved but cannot be automatically
    triggered on header downloads (i.e., you have to manually run the
    saved search and then manually select the matched records to to then
    execute a manually selected action). Eventually Agent dumped their
    antiquated Windows 3.1 GUI and what did they go to: the 3-pane
    interface used by OE. A long-time defect with Agent was that it would
    not support multiple NNTP accounts. The workaround was to define
    multiple config files that would be specified on the command-line to
    load Agent, so you had multiple shortcuts to load multiple instances
    of Agent to concurrently access multiple accounts. They added
    multiple account support in their latest version but, again, that's
    not a feature available in their crippled free version yet multiple
    account support exists in MANY free newsreaders.

    Thunderbird is a bad joke. Users like to claim it is better but its
    rules are less potent than those in OE. In other words, rules in
    Thunderbird suck. I consider the rules in OE to be lacking and
    Thunderbird's are worse. Everytime I asked about how to configure
    Thunderbird regarding behavior or function, too often I had to go edit
    config files since those features were not available via the GUI.

    40tude seemed good but is another similar client with little
    capability in its rules; i.e., it didn't seem any better than OE. It
    doesn't seem much supported, if at all, and has been in beta status
    for how long? Read their version history at
    http://www.40tude.com/dialog/history.htm. It is still beta. That
    list hasn't been updated since I read it just over a year ago (and I
    don't how odl 2.0.15.1 was at that time), so it's another dead
    program. Useful perhaps but dead. OE is dead, too, but if I'm going
    to switch then I'd like to move to a product that is supported or, at
    least, getting improved or fixed. The author of 40tude coded it
    assuming a non-secure Windows 3.x/9x environment. That is, 40tude
    hasn't a concept of separating config files based on NT accounts, so
    one user will end up stepping on another user's setup of 40tude. Gee,
    what happened to all those groups to which I subscribed and where did
    those new ones come from? Some other user logged in and changed
    40tude's setup.

    I did use OE-QuoteFix until SP2 for Windows XP killed it. SP2 also
    provided the biggest reasons why I used OE-Quotefix: bottom posting
    and sig at bottom (via registry edits). The color-coding was iffy in
    OE-QuoteFix and it had a defect if the post to which you replied
    didn't have a CR at the end of the last line. OE-QuoteFix is another
    dead tool: useful if it still works for you and you don't know about
    OE's registry edits (which means you need to have WinXP) but a dead
    product. The last update to OE-QuoteFix was way back on ... I also
    tried the Fidolook wrapper for OE but its documentation sucks (unless
    you know German) and also seems another college kid's abandoned class
    project.

    I also trialed Gravity, XanaNews, Newsrover, Newsbin, and Xnews.
    Xnews was the only one that had decent support and implementation of
    regular expressions (but which you edit outside of the GUI).
    Unfortunately I found out that many NNTP servers only proffer the
    overview headers and what I want to filter on are in the extended
    headers. However, it has GUI problems and the author has apparently
    never experienced using context menus (right-click) to add properties
    or functions to object types rather than have you navigate through
    menues. Xnews also has problems with memory bloat and will freeze for
    NNTP servers with large number of posts (i.e., with high retention).
    Click on a post and the highlight is instead of a different post.
    Read a post within a thread and upon return to that newsgroup the
    entire thread is gone (unless you hunt to find the option to enable
    Xnews to reread the newsgroup, or you
    use Ctrl+F5 to resync all the threads). I never found a way to mark a
    thread to watch it (i.e., no flags), something very important to me.
    I want posts to which I've started, responded, or am interested to
    appear at the *top* of the header list. Rather than have a 3-pane
    view to show the newsgroups (under the news servers) in a tree list,
    the message list, and a preview of a selected message, you instead
    first see the newsgroups list (and for only one server at a time).
    Then when you pick a newsgroup, you no longer can see the newsgroups
    list and are instead looking at a split view for the messages list and
    preview of the messages. You can wrangle the multiple opened windows
    tile them but the content of the tiles is not enforced by their
    position. To switch between servers, you use the tabs at the bottom
    of the screen but those tabs won't appear until the first time you
    visit the news server which must be performed using the menues. When
    I opened a newsgroup, there was a delay before seeing the messages,
    and when opening the messages
    there was sometimes a delay, and there was a delay when refreshing
    their
    threading. There are other delays and then I found out it was because
    of the memory bloat. Xnews is another dead newsreader: no updates in
    over 3 years.

    If I were to switch, it probably would be to Xnews despite its GUI
    defects or deficiencies. Not because the GUI is better or anything
    else other than far more potent rules because of adding regular
    expressions that can check anywhere in any header. I tried using
    NewsProxy with OE to give me regular expressions but it goes
    unresponsive pretty quickly while just sitting idle (it runs as a
    background process that constantly sucks up memory even when you are
    not using any NNTP client).

    So just what number of NNTP clients have *YOU* trialed to find what is
    best for you, and how often do you review again? I figure 6-months
    interval is all I'm going to waste my time in finding something FAR
    superior to OE to give me a reason to switch that has BETTER rules
    with a strong preference that the automatically exercised rules
    incorporate a decent potency in regular expressions. So far I've been
    disappointed in the *free* alternatives to free OE. There are decent
    *paid* commercialware alternatives to free OE. OE has defects. So do
    the other choices. They just have different defects.

  4. Re: X-no-archive, what is it good for?

    On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 20:30:31 -0600, "Vanguard"
    wrote:

    >Agent is only useful in the paid version as it becomes too overly
    >crippled in the free version - and if I'm going to compare against OE
    >then I compare against free versions. Besides, regular expressions
    >would be the major reason why I would move to Agent but as I've been
    >told (in their newsgroups) and read in their documentation it only has
    >them in searches which can be saved but cannot be automatically
    >triggered on header downloads (i.e., you have to manually run the
    >saved search and then manually select the matched records to to then
    >execute a manually selected action). Eventually Agent dumped their

    You must have misunderstood. You can use regular expressions in Agent
    filters, and the filters function during header downloads (or manually.)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2