Slower DSL download speed with router - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Slower DSL download speed with router - Firewalls ; Win2K Pro SP.4, single user, SpeedTouch modem, PPPoE, Dlink Dl-604 router. I used to use a Kerio firewall but following a crash In October, the guy who repaired it, installed a Dlink router in place of the firewall. I have ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 84

  1. Slower DSL download speed with router

    Win2K Pro SP.4, single user, SpeedTouch modem, PPPoE,
    Dlink Dl-604 router. I used to use a Kerio firewall but
    following a crash In October, the guy who repaired it,
    installed a Dlink router in place of the firewall. I have a
    subscription to Grisoft's AVG7.5 and there's been no problems.

    I used to get 170 KB/s download (3 MB service but long way
    from CO) but now it's only about 35 KB/s, about only a fifth
    of what it used to be. I've tested it by downloading files that
    I've previously downloaded, at different times of day.

    I have a call into my repair guy and will probably speak to
    him this coming week, but wonder if you have any helpful
    comments?

    tia
    Alan

  2. Re: Slower DSL download speed with router

    You best find a different repairman. Anybdoy who sells someone a Dlink
    router does not have their best interests at heart. To put it nicely
    Dlink is ****. The Dlink router is your whole problem. Trash the router
    and buy a linksys. Remember i'll be here to prevent anymore of your
    computer crashes. Just ask Tony.

    Alan Illeman wrote:

    > Win2K Pro SP.4, single user, SpeedTouch modem, PPPoE,
    > Dlink Dl-604 router. I used to use a Kerio firewall but
    > following a crash In October, the guy who repaired it,
    > installed a Dlink router in place of the firewall. I have a
    > subscription to Grisoft's AVG7.5 and there's been no problems.
    >
    > I used to get 170 KB/s download (3 MB service but long way
    > from CO) but now it's only about 35 KB/s, about only a fifth
    > of what it used to be. I've tested it by downloading files that
    > I've previously downloaded, at different times of day.
    >
    > I have a call into my repair guy and will probably speak to
    > him this coming week, but wonder if you have any helpful
    > comments?
    >
    > tia
    > Alan

  3. Re: Slower DSL download speed with router

    I checked here
    http://forums.speedguide.net/forumdi...=80&order=desc and low
    and behold no replies ha, ha seems a lot of people must have the same
    repairman and a whole lot of people got sold the same brand name router.

    Alan Illeman wrote:

    > Win2K Pro SP.4, single user, SpeedTouch modem, PPPoE,
    > Dlink Dl-604 router. I used to use a Kerio firewall but
    > following a crash In October, the guy who repaired it,
    > installed a Dlink router in place of the firewall. I have a
    > subscription to Grisoft's AVG7.5 and there's been no problems.
    >
    > I used to get 170 KB/s download (3 MB service but long way
    > from CO) but now it's only about 35 KB/s, about only a fifth
    > of what it used to be. I've tested it by downloading files that
    > I've previously downloaded, at different times of day.
    >
    > I have a call into my repair guy and will probably speak to
    > him this coming week, but wonder if you have any helpful
    > comments?
    >
    > tia
    > Alan

  4. Re: Slower DSL download speed with router

    In article <457B34DD.9CFB69A4@TheDeli.Sandwich>, Tony@TheDeli.Sandwich
    says...
    > You best find a different repairman. Anybdoy who sells someone a Dlink
    > router does not have their best interests at heart. To put it nicely
    > Dlink is ****. The Dlink router is your whole problem. Trash the router
    > and buy a linksys. Remember i'll be here to prevent anymore of your
    > computer crashes. Just ask Tony.

    To trash then entire D-Link line without understand, you tend to make
    people not believe what you say.

    As an example, while the 604 is junk, they make a DFL-700 device that is
    very nice, has a lot of nice features, etc....

    Linksys, while having a nicer interface, is not really better, as I've
    installed over 100 of each, they all have problems. I had a Linksys
    BEFSR41, BEFSX41 and several others that would reboot during extended
    the linksys units.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

  5. Re: Slower DSL download speed with router

    That's funny when i go to the store to look for linksys routers i always get
    the same line we're sold out all we have is Dlink but no one wants them.

    Leythos wrote:

    > In article <457B34DD.9CFB69A4@TheDeli.Sandwich>, Tony@TheDeli.Sandwich
    > says...
    > > You best find a different repairman. Anybdoy who sells someone a Dlink
    > > router does not have their best interests at heart. To put it nicely
    > > Dlink is ****. The Dlink router is your whole problem. Trash the router
    > > and buy a linksys. Remember i'll be here to prevent anymore of your
    > > computer crashes. Just ask Tony.

    > To trash then entire D-Link line without understand, you tend to make
    > people not believe what you say.
    >
    > As an example, while the 604 is junk, they make a DFL-700 device that is
    > very nice, has a lot of nice features, etc....
    >
    > Linksys, while having a nicer interface, is not really better, as I've
    > installed over 100 of each, they all have problems. I had a Linksys
    > BEFSR41, BEFSX41 and several others that would reboot during extended
    > the linksys units.
    >
    > --
    >
    > spam999free@rrohio.com
    > remove 999 in order to email me

  6. Re: Slower DSL download speed with router

    In article <457B3C5A.F178E804@TheDeli.Sandwich>,
    Tony wrote:

    > That's funny when i go to the store to look for linksys routers i always get
    > the same line we're sold out all we have is Dlink but no one wants them.

    Yah, well I've got a very nice DGL 4300 here, works flawlessly.
    --
    W. Oates

  7. Re: Slower DSL download speed with router

    If sympatico raises the speeds up to true adsl2+ speeds of 24/3.5 your router will
    be a cooked goose while that speed wouldn't even phase a linksys router.

    Warren Oates wrote:

    > In article <457B3C5A.F178E804@TheDeli.Sandwich>,
    > Tony wrote:
    >
    > > That's funny when i go to the store to look for linksys routers i always get
    > > the same line we're sold out all we have is Dlink but no one wants them.

    > Yah, well I've got a very nice DGL 4300 here, works flawlessly.
    > --
    > W. Oates

  8. Re: Slower DSL download speed with router

    Alan Illeman skrev:
    > Win2K Pro SP.4, single user, SpeedTouch modem, PPPoE,
    > Dlink Dl-604 router. I used to use a Kerio firewall but
    > following a crash In October, the guy who repaired it,
    > installed a Dlink router in place of the firewall. I have a
    > subscription to Grisoft's AVG7.5 and there's been no problems.
    >
    > I used to get 170 KB/s download (3 MB service but long way
    > from CO) but now it's only about 35 KB/s, about only a fifth
    > of what it used to be. I've tested it by downloading files that
    > I've previously downloaded, at different times of day.
    >
    > I have a call into my repair guy and will probably speak to
    > him this coming week, but wonder if you have any helpful
    > comments?
    >
    > tia
    > Alan

    Have you checked if there is a newer firmware?
    If there is one upgrade the unit.
    You can see if the SPI mode ('Tools > Misc') is enabled,
    and if it is turn it of to see if you get a better speed.

    You can also toggle DoS protection (same 'Misc'tab) on/off.

    And of course try to reboot the unit.

    But the first thing is the firmware.

    The D-link 604 is cheap but no crap the one I have has served me well
    and is still doing so.

    /Anders

  9. Re: Slower DSL download speed with router

    In article <457B3C5A.F178E804@TheDeli.Sandwich>, Tony@TheDeli.Sandwich
    says...
    > That's funny when i go to the store to look for linksys routers i always get
    > the same line we're sold out all we have is Dlink but no one wants them.

    And so you lump all of their products into your very limited scope of
    experience.

    Most home users purchase the "Cheapest" device they can get that is
    suppose to do the job - it's no secret, why don't you understand that?

    I would be willing to bet that you've never used a higher end D-Link
    device, and since Linksys doesn't come close to those devices (for
    quality or performance) you show your stripes here in your limited
    understanding and experience.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

  10. Re: Slower DSL download speed with router

    In article <457B42EE.E4416128@TheDeli.Sandwich>, Tony@TheDeli.Sandwich
    says...
    > If sympatico raises the speeds up to true adsl2+ speeds of 24/3.5 your router will
    > be a cooked goose while that speed wouldn't even phase a linksys router.

    Wrong, I've had every line of the sub $200 router that linksys provides
    fail under heavy loads - try a sorority with 40+ users hammering one and
    see how many times it reboots. The D-Link device I replaced them with
    didn't fail/reboot once.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

  11. Re: Slower DSL download speed with router

    You can spout all your lies about Dlink routers but no one except maybe warren is
    going to fall for them. Truth is most Dlink routers break down well before the
    warranty period is up whereas linksys routers work virtually for generations.
    That's the reason most linksys routers cost double what a Dlink router costs.
    People think they can get something for nothing. All they end up getting is
    nothing but problems just like alan all because he wasn't making a smart decision
    in the first place.

    Leythos wrote:

    > In article <457B3C5A.F178E804@TheDeli.Sandwich>, Tony@TheDeli.Sandwich
    > says...
    > > That's funny when i go to the store to look for linksys routers i always get
    > > the same line we're sold out all we have is Dlink but no one wants them.

    > And so you lump all of their products into your very limited scope of
    > experience.
    >
    > Most home users purchase the "Cheapest" device they can get that is
    > suppose to do the job - it's no secret, why don't you understand that?
    >
    > I would be willing to bet that you've never used a higher end D-Link
    > device, and since Linksys doesn't come close to those devices (for
    > quality or performance) you show your stripes here in your limited
    > understanding and experience.
    >
    > --
    >
    > spam999free@rrohio.com
    > remove 999 in order to email me

  12. Re: Slower DSL download speed with router

    In article <457B4E51.3D7E75F2@TheDeli.Sandwich>, Tony@TheDeli.Sandwich
    says...
    > You can spout all your lies about Dlink routers but no one except maybe warren is
    > going to fall for them. Truth is most Dlink routers break down well before the
    > warranty period is up whereas linksys routers work virtually for generations.

    Strange, I know people, 20+ with 604's, that have had them for at least
    3 years and they work fine for their homes. I have one customer with a 2
    year old DFL-700 and it's working fine.

    Most of the first BEFSR41 units suffered from the BAD Capacitor issues,
    their wireless routers are crap in most cases, and CISCO didn't improve
    anything.

    Don't get me wrong, we still use the BEFVP units in the field, but, when
    we buy new units we get the DFL-700 units - when we have to have a
    firewall class NAT device that is under $400.

    Heck, the BE series of Linksys doesn't even support a true DMZ, not to
    mention their failing based on traffic being heavy.

    > That's the reason most linksys routers cost double what a Dlink router costs.
    > People think they can get something for nothing. All they end up getting is
    > nothing but problems just like alan all because he wasn't making a smart decision
    > in the first place.

    LOL - what you're spouting indicates, to anyone with experience, is that
    you don't have a clue about anything you've stated, you're just
    repeating a mantra like a sheep would, swearing that you must be right
    since you can't be wrong - Ha Ha Ha.

    Come back after you learn a little more sonny.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

  13. Re: Slower DSL download speed with router

    I've never heard so much hogwash in my life. I talk to people on the loading
    docks who bought dlink routers all said the same thing all of them failed
    the first month after they bought them. I've always touted the linksys
    router as one of the best and as we all know dlink is one of the worst. In
    fact i'd say if it wasn't for the hawking router the dlink would be declared
    the worst router ever built.

  14. Re: Slower DSL download speed with router

    In article <457b5585$0$328$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com>,
    easterner@screech.drunk says...
    > I've never heard so much hogwash in my life. I talk to people on the loading
    > docks who bought dlink routers all said the same thing all of them failed
    > the first month after they bought them. I've always touted the linksys
    > router as one of the best and as we all know dlink is one of the worst. In
    > fact i'd say if it wasn't for the hawking router the dlink would be declared
    > the worst router ever built.

    And I've got a very similar experience with the BEFSR41, BEFSR81, BEFSX,
    BEFVP units, bought then and the first time the experienced any real
    not boot-up, or they ran for months and then died...

    I've not had a single DFL series D-Link fail, not one, and they don't
    reboot under heavy load.

    So, it would seem that you need to have a little more experience.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

  15. Re: Slower DSL download speed with router

    "Alan Illeman" wrote in

    > Win2K Pro SP.4, single user, SpeedTouch modem, PPPoE,
    > Dlink Dl-604 router. I used to use a Kerio firewall but
    > following a crash In October, the guy who repaired it,
    > installed a Dlink router in place of the firewall. I have a
    > subscription to Grisoft's AVG7.5 and there's been no problems.
    >
    > I used to get 170 KB/s download (3 MB service but long way
    > from CO) but now it's only about 35 KB/s, about only a fifth
    > of what it used to be. I've tested it by downloading files that
    > I've previously downloaded, at different times of day.
    >
    > I have a call into my repair guy and will probably speak to
    > him this coming week, but wonder if you have any helpful
    > comments?
    >
    > tia
    > Alan

    What does your dsl box say *its* speed is: frequently you'll get power
    surges and the like and the speed the box thinks it should be running at
    drops. There's probably a spot on in the setup book you got for the box
    that tells you how to find this out. Note: this is *not* the same thing
    as a online speed test. If that's the case, try turning the dsl box off
    for a couple of seconds and then back on. There's probably a reset
    button on the back.

    Finally, Not that I had anything to do with it, but sorry about the
    ranting that happened instead of the help you were asking for. The best
    way to handle ranters/trolls on usenet is to just ignore them and not
    reply to their posts. Killfiling them may be satisfying, but doesn't
    achieve any desired effect. (s

    --
    etq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

  16. Re: Slower DSL download speed with router

    If you don't believe me just see what other people on the web have to say about
    Dlink. I like this quote Quote: Originally Posted by Perc no, but because the only
    d-link product i've seen that works properly is the LED flashlight in my
    keychain.
    http://www.omgili.com/preview/aHR0cD...hwP3Q9NjU2NTc3

    Leythos wrote:

    > In article <457b5585$0$328$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com>,
    > easterner@screech.drunk says...
    > > I've never heard so much hogwash in my life. I talk to people on the loading
    > > docks who bought dlink routers all said the same thing all of them failed
    > > the first month after they bought them. I've always touted the linksys
    > > router as one of the best and as we all know dlink is one of the worst. In
    > > fact i'd say if it wasn't for the hawking router the dlink would be declared
    > > the worst router ever built.

    > And I've got a very similar experience with the BEFSR41, BEFSR81, BEFSX,
    > BEFVP units, bought then and the first time the experienced any real
    > not boot-up, or they ran for months and then died...
    >
    > I've not had a single DFL series D-Link fail, not one, and they don't
    > reboot under heavy load.
    >
    > So, it would seem that you need to have a little more experience.
    >
    > --
    >
    > spam999free@rrohio.com
    > remove 999 in order to email me

  17. Re: Slower DSL download speed with router

    Looks like my timezone didn't flip over.

    Tony wrote:

    > If you don't believe me just see what other people on the web have to say about
    > Dlink. I like this quote Quote: Originally Posted by Perc no, but because the only
    > d-link product i've seen that works properly is the LED flashlight in my
    > keychain.
    > http://www.omgili.com/preview/aHR0cD...hwP3Q9NjU2NTc3
    >
    > Leythos wrote:
    >
    > > In article <457b5585$0$328$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com>,
    > > easterner@screech.drunk says...
    > > > I've never heard so much hogwash in my life. I talk to people on the loading
    > > > docks who bought dlink routers all said the same thing all of them failed
    > > > the first month after they bought them. I've always touted the linksys
    > > > router as one of the best and as we all know dlink is one of the worst. In
    > > > fact i'd say if it wasn't for the hawking router the dlink would be declared
    > > > the worst router ever built.

    > > And I've got a very similar experience with the BEFSR41, BEFSR81, BEFSX,
    > > BEFVP units, bought then and the first time the experienced any real
    > > not boot-up, or they ran for months and then died...
    > >
    > > I've not had a single DFL series D-Link fail, not one, and they don't
    > > reboot under heavy load.
    > >
    > > So, it would seem that you need to have a little more experience.
    > >
    > > --
    > >
    > > spam999free@rrohio.com
    > > remove 999 in order to email me

  18. Re: Slower DSL download speed with router

    I usually don't ever agree with you but these trolls are getting to me too.
    This leythos dude is well known all over usenet then he just appears as if
    by magic here with some malarky. I told this unfortunate dlink router orphan
    the same thing you told him. The router doesn't work.

    chuckcar wrote:

    > "Alan Illeman" wrote in
    >
    > > Win2K Pro SP.4, single user, SpeedTouch modem, PPPoE,
    > > Dlink Dl-604 router. I used to use a Kerio firewall but
    > > following a crash In October, the guy who repaired it,
    > > installed a Dlink router in place of the firewall. I have a
    > > subscription to Grisoft's AVG7.5 and there's been no problems.
    > >
    > > I used to get 170 KB/s download (3 MB service but long way
    > > from CO) but now it's only about 35 KB/s, about only a fifth
    > > of what it used to be. I've tested it by downloading files that
    > > I've previously downloaded, at different times of day.
    > >
    > > I have a call into my repair guy and will probably speak to
    > > him this coming week, but wonder if you have any helpful
    > > comments?
    > >
    > > tia
    > > Alan
    > >

    > What does your dsl box say *its* speed is: frequently you'll get power
    > surges and the like and the speed the box thinks it should be running at
    > drops. There's probably a spot on in the setup book you got for the box
    > that tells you how to find this out. Note: this is *not* the same thing
    > as a online speed test. If that's the case, try turning the dsl box off
    > for a couple of seconds and then back on. There's probably a reset
    > button on the back.
    >
    > Finally, Not that I had anything to do with it, but sorry about the
    > ranting that happened instead of the help you were asking for. The best
    > way to handle ranters/trolls on usenet is to just ignore them and not
    > reply to their posts. Killfiling them may be satisfying, but doesn't
    > achieve any desired effect. (s
    >
    > --
    > etq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

  19. Re: Slower DSL download speed with router

    chuckcar wrote:
    > The best way to handle ranters/trolls on usenet is to just ignore
    > them and not reply to their posts.

    .... and yet *you* continue to feed them.

    > Killfiling them may be satisfying, but doesn't achieve any desired
    > effect.

    In what way "doesn't achieve any desired effect"?

  20. Re: Slower DSL download speed with router (need Hawking CD)

    Someone mentioned the "wireless Hawking as the worst router ever". I
    bought one because of the rebates that were never honoured and lost the
    CD. Anyone have one? Please contact me on the list or at the gmail
    address. Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast