Slower DSL download speed with router - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Slower DSL download speed with router - Firewalls ; Is this you steve or is this just a friend of chuck's? Curmudgeon might have said it best. Who are we today? Dip****, that's who we are. Leythos wrote: > In article , chuckcar@nil.org > says... > > Leythos wrote ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 84

Thread: Slower DSL download speed with router

  1. Re: Slower DSL download speed with router

    Is this you steve or is this just a friend of chuck's? Curmudgeon might have
    said it best. Who are we today? Dip****, that's who we are.

    Leythos wrote:

    > In article , chuckcar@nil.org
    > says...
    > > Leythos wrote in
    > > news:f9Leh.2490$SJ3.2218@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com:
    > >
    > > > In article , chuckcar@nil.org
    > > > says...

    > >
    > > >> Take the case with this fool: If I kill file him, he'll just switch
    > > >> to another nym - he's already done exactly that - he really freaked
    > > >> before he did though and that was kind of satisfying - You see I
    > > >> didn't really kill file him. I just said I did and then read his
    > > >> posts, completely ignoring what they said in mine. That's reason
    > > >> number one. Reason number two, if you kill file them, they can say
    > > >> anything they want about you, and you'll never know it, and that can
    > > >> be very bad. I'm sure you can think of others, but you get the idea -
    > > >> you post they can read anything you post, but you never read anything
    > > >> they post. Doesn't make for good knowledge of the lay of the land.
    > > >
    > > > If you're talking about my changing my name, it's not happened in a
    > > > LONG time, I've posted as Leythos for more than 5 years.
    > > >

    > > No, you're just another victim that's experienced the "Steve delusion"
    > > problem. I've seen it happen on at least 6 other groups. Just in case
    > > you don't know (which apparently you don't - pay more attention to the
    > > "volume" posters - good and bad) Tony aka Steve aka Seedless Grape aka
    > > Steveo ... Are one and the same person. Welcome to usenet, where the
    > > loonies you cross the street to avoid can send you messages.

    >
    > LOL, yea, I figured he was a troll, but I was bored and figure that
    > facts will always get them upset, as it's hard to derail a fact based
    > discussion if you keep pointing out where they are wrong - even better
    > when you can prove they don't know what they are talking about
    >
    > --
    >
    > spam999free@rrohio.com
    > remove 999 in order to email me



  2. Re: Slower DSL download speed with router

    They used two BEFSR41 routers for two months when two of their routers went down.

    Leythos wrote:

    > In article <457B8716.826517AD@TheDeli.Sandwich>, Tony@TheDeli.Sandwich
    > says...
    > > Apparently you don't know just how bad or just how desperate some of these smaller
    > > isp's in canada got before they went bankrupt. I know for a fact "nothing but net" was
    > > using a few of them.

    >
    > And if they were having customer relation problems because of bad
    > connections you just might have hit on the reason.
    >
    > Now, you've still not told us if they provided the Linksys to
    > users/subscribers or if they built their company infrastructure on the
    > Linksys routers - if users/subscribers, then there was little chance of
    > a significant load, if their infrastructure, they were fools and no
    > wonder they went under.
    >
    > --
    >
    > spam999free@rrohio.com
    > remove 999 in order to email me



  3. Re: Slower DSL download speed with router

    In article <457B89AC.32710F55@TheDeli.Sandwich>, Tony@TheDeli.Sandwich
    says...
    > They used two BEFSR41 routers for two months when two of their routers went down.


    LOL, it doesn't take two months to replace/repair quality routers, and
    you've still not given any information on the capacity, traffic load,
    etc...


    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

  4. Re: Slower DSL download speed with router

    In article <457B883C.BFBD4712@TheDeli.Sandwich>, Tony@TheDeli.Sandwich
    says...
    > Is this you steve or is this just a friend of chuck's? Curmudgeon might have
    > said it best. Who are we today? Dip****, that's who we are.


    You might not be how you present, and you might be a d1psh1t, but at
    least I've shown you to be factually wrong.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

  5. Re: Slower DSL download speed with router

    There was about 700 people and they were speed capped at 50 kilobytes per second
    maximum for those two months.

    Leythos wrote:

    > In article <457B89AC.32710F55@TheDeli.Sandwich>, Tony@TheDeli.Sandwich
    > says...
    > > They used two BEFSR41 routers for two months when two of their routers went down.

    >
    > LOL, it doesn't take two months to replace/repair quality routers, and
    > you've still not given any information on the capacity, traffic load,
    > etc...
    >
    > --
    >
    > spam999free@rrohio.com
    > remove 999 in order to email me



  6. Re: Slower DSL download speed with router

    Now don't fall flat on your face when i say this but is this Darrell? Speechless
    huh?

    Leythos wrote:

    > In article <457B883C.BFBD4712@TheDeli.Sandwich>, Tony@TheDeli.Sandwich
    > says...
    > > Is this you steve or is this just a friend of chuck's? Curmudgeon might have
    > > said it best. Who are we today? Dip****, that's who we are.

    >
    > You might not be how you present, and you might be a d1psh1t, but at
    > least I've shown you to be factually wrong.
    >
    > --
    >
    > spam999free@rrohio.com
    > remove 999 in order to email me



  7. Re: Slower DSL download speed with router

    In article <457B8E9F.9236BDEE@TheDeli.Sandwich>, Tony@TheDeli.Sandwich
    says...
    > There was about 700 people and they were speed capped at 50 kilobytes per second
    > maximum for those two months.


    I'd like to see confirmation and what model/firmware they were running,
    as my experience in many locations with BEFSR, BEFSX, BEFVP and a couple
    years worth of firmwares is that they can't handle a sustained load of
    2mbps.


    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

  8. Re: Slower DSL download speed with router

    In article <457B8F06.B368EB21@TheDeli.Sandwich>, Tony@TheDeli.Sandwich
    says...
    > Now don't fall flat on your face when i say this but is this Darrell? Speechless
    > huh?


    What part of I'm the exact person I represent, not a nym shifter, I've
    posted as Leythos for many, many years and never play that game.

    So, it appears you are trolling, as you don't have anything to present
    to discount what I've said.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

  9. Re: Slower DSL download speed with router

    Hello Darrell er ah chuck. I figured you never left this newsgroup.

    Leythos wrote:

    > In article <457B8F06.B368EB21@TheDeli.Sandwich>, Tony@TheDeli.Sandwich
    > says...
    > > Now don't fall flat on your face when i say this but is this Darrell? Speechless
    > > huh?

    >
    > What part of I'm the exact person I represent, not a nym shifter, I've
    > posted as Leythos for many, many years and never play that game.
    >
    > So, it appears you are trolling, as you don't have anything to present
    > to discount what I've said.
    >
    > --
    >
    > spam999free@rrohio.com
    > remove 999 in order to email me



  10. Re: Slower DSL download speed with router

    Leythos wrote:
    > In article <457B860C.BA0AC19C@TheDeli.Sandwich>, Tony@TheDeli.Sandwich
    > says...
    >> I've only been posting on usenet since 1988 that is since the days
    >> of fidonet (when it first originated). I've always been Tony for as
    >> far back as when usenet started.

    >
    > And I started in 84, and also with the Commodore network that relayed
    > messages between systems in the same area-codes to save toll costs
    > between states and Canada, long before 88.


    Just so we can keep proper score here, so who's dick is bigger then?

    Sheesh.




  11. Re: Slower DSL download speed with router

    "Commentator" altered the spacetime fabric by
    disgorging news:HtMeh.12260$br.3500@fe169.usenetserver.com:

    > Leythos wrote:
    >> In article <457B860C.BA0AC19C@TheDeli.Sandwich>, Tony@TheDeli.Sandwich
    >> says...
    >>> I've only been posting on usenet since 1988 that is since the days
    >>> of fidonet (when it first originated). I've always been Tony for as
    >>> far back as when usenet started.

    >>
    >> And I started in 84, and also with the Commodore network that relayed
    >> messages between systems in the same area-codes to save toll costs
    >> between states and Canada, long before 88.

    >
    > Just so we can keep proper score here, so who's dick is bigger then?


    Mine is, 'cuz I started in the late 70's (That's EIGHTEEN seventies, you
    pups!) with two tin cans and some waxed twine.

    There, can this thread end, now ?





    --
    Marc Bissonnette
    Looking for a new ISP? http://www.canadianisp.com
    Largest ISP comparison site across Canada.

  12. Re: Slower DSL download speed with router

    Well look who it is old Darrell Larose. Is that head bald yet? How's the
    weather in ottawa? Ha, ha you've never been gone i knew that all along but no
    one else knew it.

    Leythos wrote:

    > In article <457B34DD.9CFB69A4@TheDeli.Sandwich>, Tony@TheDeli.Sandwich
    > says...
    > > You best find a different repairman. Anybdoy who sells someone a Dlink
    > > router does not have their best interests at heart. To put it nicely
    > > Dlink is ****. The Dlink router is your whole problem. Trash the router
    > > and buy a linksys. Remember i'll be here to prevent anymore of your
    > > computer crashes. Just ask Tony.

    >
    > To trash then entire D-Link line without understand, you tend to make
    > people not believe what you say.
    >
    > As an example, while the 604 is junk, they make a DFL-700 device that is
    > very nice, has a lot of nice features, etc....
    >
    > Linksys, while having a nicer interface, is not really better, as I've
    > installed over 100 of each, they all have problems. I had a Linksys
    > BEFSR41, BEFSX41 and several others that would reboot during extended
    > loading of the LAN, a cheap D-Link didn't reboot as a replacement for
    > the linksys units.
    >
    > --
    >
    > spam999free@rrohio.com
    > remove 999 in order to email me



  13. Re: Slower DSL download speed with router

    On 2006-12-10, Leythos wrote:
    > In article <457B82E0.78C28848@TheDeli.Sandwich>, Tony@TheDeli.Sandwich
    > says...
    >> I hope you're not going to tell us you live in Medina Ohio and that other guy
    >> lives in Columbus.

    >
    > I don't live in Medina or Columbus. I've used this nickname for ages,
    > many years, and other than posting to one other group with a pseudo
    > first name because of moderator rules, I've never shifted names in
    > Usenet. I've been posting as either my nickname Leythos, Void or my real
    > name since 84.


    I remember Leythos from years ago. One of the few consistently good posters
    in the groups I subscribed to.IIRC that was mainly alt.computer.security in
    my case.

    Regards,

    BH.

    --
    A. Because it breaks the logical sequence of discussion.
    Q. Why is top-posting bad?

  14. Re: Slower DSL download speed with router

    On Sat, 09 Dec 2006 21:35:47 -0330, Tony
    wrote:

    >If you don't believe me just see what other people on the web have to say about
    >Dlink. I like this quote Quote: Originally Posted by Perc no, but because the only
    >d-link product i've seen that works properly is the LED flashlight in my
    >keychain.
    >http://www.omgili.com/preview/aHR0cD...hwP3Q9NjU2NTc3
    >


    ROTMFFLMMFAO

    Dlink = ****

    I am constantly taking b0rked ones out of service.

    I've installed hundreds of Linksys routers, and only replaced a couple
    due to lightning.

  15. Re: Slower DSL download speed with router

    I've seen the same thing in the business world. Most are wired and i've never seen a Dlink
    router used ever. In most installations the linksys routers are used. But like Leythos says he
    has all those years of experience bull****ting people.

    fyrfaktry wrote:

    > On Sat, 09 Dec 2006 21:35:47 -0330, Tony
    > wrote:
    >
    > >If you don't believe me just see what other people on the web have to say about
    > >Dlink. I like this quote Quote: Originally Posted by Perc no, but because the only
    > >d-link product i've seen that works properly is the LED flashlight in my
    > >keychain.
    > >http://www.omgili.com/preview/aHR0cD...hwP3Q9NjU2NTc3
    > >

    >
    > ROTMFFLMMFAO
    >
    > Dlink = ****
    >
    > I am constantly taking b0rked ones out of service.
    >
    > I've installed hundreds of Linksys routers, and only replaced a couple
    > due to lightning.



  16. Re: Slower DSL download speed with router

    Alan Illeman explained :
    > Win2K Pro SP.4, single user, SpeedTouch modem, PPPoE,
    > Dlink Dl-604 router. I used to use a Kerio firewall but
    > following a crash In October, the guy who repaired it,
    > installed a Dlink router in place of the firewall. I have a
    > subscription to Grisoft's AVG7.5 and there's been no problems.
    >
    > I used to get 170 KB/s download (3 MB service but long way
    > from CO) but now it's only about 35 KB/s, about only a fifth
    > of what it used to be. I've tested it by downloading files that
    > I've previously downloaded, at different times of day.
    >
    > I have a call into my repair guy and will probably speak to
    > him this coming week, but wonder if you have any helpful
    > comments?
    >
    > tia
    > Alan


    Firstly I would remove the router temporarily and use the modem only.
    Just to make sure the Router doesn't have a problem. If your speeds
    are still slow the problem is most likely outside your internal loop
    because modems 'usually' work or they don't. It *is* possible for the
    modem to have a problem but unlikely. The next phase would be for
    telco to do a line test between you and the CO to determine line loss
    and signal to noise ratio.
    You may as well do the router thing before the fact because that is the
    *first* thing they will want you to do.

    It might be nice to try speakeasy to see if you are actually
    consistently slow or whether there is data stalling.

    http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

    The latter virtually proves a problem at the ISPs' end.

    Stalling is indicated by normal speed then a severe drop in speed
    followed by increased speed etc etc.....

    Hope this helps a little.

    --
    Senex



  17. Re: Slower DSL download speed with router

    On Sat, 9 Dec 2006 14:42:01 -0500, "Alan Illeman"
    wrote:

    >Win2K Pro SP.4, single user, SpeedTouch modem, PPPoE,
    >Dlink Dl-604 router. I used to use a Kerio firewall but
    >following a crash In October, the guy who repaired it,
    >installed a Dlink router in place of the firewall. I have a
    >subscription to Grisoft's AVG7.5 and there's been no problems.
    >
    >I used to get 170 KB/s download (3 MB service but long way
    >from CO) but now it's only about 35 KB/s, about only a fifth
    >of what it used to be. I've tested it by downloading files that
    >I've previously downloaded, at different times of day.
    >
    >I have a call into my repair guy and will probably speak to
    >him this coming week, but wonder if you have any helpful
    >comments?
    >
    >tia
    >Alan
    >


    Hi Allan
    I see this kind of thing occasionally...

    ....oh, hold on...
    right click
    killfile
    add user
    Tony
    enter
    (priorities, you know.)

    .... on my Roadrunner connection. usually when there's some type of
    service "issue" or interuption. I hate to ask the "Is it plugged in"
    question but, have you reset the modem and the router? Unplugged them
    for 30-60 seconds, at least? Did you visit your isp's website,
    specifially the "Network Status" page to verify they aren't having
    issues?
    Just asking the obvious. Don't take offense.
    ASMx4


  18. Re: Slower DSL download speed with router

    It can't be his modem. Unlike the made in china junk that speedstream puts
    out the speedtouch was made in a real country called france.

    Senex wrote:

    > Alan Illeman explained :
    > > Win2K Pro SP.4, single user, SpeedTouch modem, PPPoE,
    > > Dlink Dl-604 router. I used to use a Kerio firewall but
    > > following a crash In October, the guy who repaired it,
    > > installed a Dlink router in place of the firewall. I have a
    > > subscription to Grisoft's AVG7.5 and there's been no problems.
    > >
    > > I used to get 170 KB/s download (3 MB service but long way
    > > from CO) but now it's only about 35 KB/s, about only a fifth
    > > of what it used to be. I've tested it by downloading files that
    > > I've previously downloaded, at different times of day.
    > >
    > > I have a call into my repair guy and will probably speak to
    > > him this coming week, but wonder if you have any helpful
    > > comments?
    > >
    > > tia
    > > Alan

    >
    > Firstly I would remove the router temporarily and use the modem only.
    > Just to make sure the Router doesn't have a problem. If your speeds
    > are still slow the problem is most likely outside your internal loop
    > because modems 'usually' work or they don't. It *is* possible for the
    > modem to have a problem but unlikely. The next phase would be for
    > telco to do a line test between you and the CO to determine line loss
    > and signal to noise ratio.
    > You may as well do the router thing before the fact because that is the
    > *first* thing they will want you to do.
    >
    > It might be nice to try speakeasy to see if you are actually
    > consistently slow or whether there is data stalling.
    >
    > http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/
    >
    > The latter virtually proves a problem at the ISPs' end.
    >
    > Stalling is indicated by normal speed then a severe drop in speed
    > followed by increased speed etc etc.....
    >
    > Hope this helps a little.
    >
    > --
    > Senex



  19. Re: Slower DSL download speed with router

    His roadrunner connection... this guy is on the phone night and day with
    tech support trying to get connected to the internet he is clueless. You
    know it's funny when someone like me posts the only right answer how all
    these "know it all gomers" pop up on this newsgroup with the most absurd
    answers i think i've ever heard.

    ASMx4 wrote:

    > On Sat, 9 Dec 2006 14:42:01 -0500, "Alan Illeman"
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Win2K Pro SP.4, single user, SpeedTouch modem, PPPoE,
    > >Dlink Dl-604 router. I used to use a Kerio firewall but
    > >following a crash In October, the guy who repaired it,
    > >installed a Dlink router in place of the firewall. I have a
    > >subscription to Grisoft's AVG7.5 and there's been no problems.
    > >
    > >I used to get 170 KB/s download (3 MB service but long way
    > >from CO) but now it's only about 35 KB/s, about only a fifth
    > >of what it used to be. I've tested it by downloading files that
    > >I've previously downloaded, at different times of day.
    > >
    > >I have a call into my repair guy and will probably speak to
    > >him this coming week, but wonder if you have any helpful
    > >comments?
    > >
    > >tia
    > >Alan
    > >

    >
    > Hi Allan
    > I see this kind of thing occasionally...
    >
    > ...oh, hold on...
    > right click
    > killfile
    > add user
    > Tony
    > enter
    > (priorities, you know.)
    >
    > ... on my Roadrunner connection. usually when there's some type of
    > service "issue" or interuption. I hate to ask the "Is it plugged in"
    > question but, have you reset the modem and the router? Unplugged them
    > for 30-60 seconds, at least? Did you visit your isp's website,
    > specifially the "Network Status" page to verify they aren't having
    > issues?
    > Just asking the obvious. Don't take offense.
    > ASMx4



  20. Re: Slower DSL download speed with router

    Tony explained on 12/10/2006 :
    > It can't be his modem. Unlike the made in china junk that speedstream puts
    > out the speedtouch was made in a real country called france.
    >
    > Senex wrote:
    >
    >> Alan Illeman explained :
    >>> Win2K Pro SP.4, single user, SpeedTouch modem, PPPoE,
    >>> Dlink Dl-604 router. I used to use a Kerio firewall but
    >>> following a crash In October, the guy who repaired it,
    >>> installed a Dlink router in place of the firewall. I have a
    >>> subscription to Grisoft's AVG7.5 and there's been no problems.
    >>>
    >>> I used to get 170 KB/s download (3 MB service but long way
    >>> from CO) but now it's only about 35 KB/s, about only a fifth
    >>> of what it used to be. I've tested it by downloading files that
    >>> I've previously downloaded, at different times of day.
    >>>
    >>> I have a call into my repair guy and will probably speak to
    >>> him this coming week, but wonder if you have any helpful
    >>> comments?
    >>>
    >>> tia
    >>> Alan

    >>
    >> Firstly I would remove the router temporarily and use the modem only.
    >> Just to make sure the Router doesn't have a problem. If your speeds
    >> are still slow the problem is most likely outside your internal loop
    >> because modems 'usually' work or they don't. It *is* possible for the
    >> modem to have a problem but unlikely. The next phase would be for
    >> telco to do a line test between you and the CO to determine line loss
    >> and signal to noise ratio.
    >> You may as well do the router thing before the fact because that is the
    >> *first* thing they will want you to do.
    >>
    >> It might be nice to try speakeasy to see if you are actually
    >> consistently slow or whether there is data stalling.
    >>
    >> http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/
    >>
    >> The latter virtually proves a problem at the ISPs' end.
    >>
    >> Stalling is indicated by normal speed then a severe drop in speed
    >> followed by increased speed etc etc.....
    >>
    >> Hope this helps a little.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Senex


    *WHY* don't you read the damn post *before* you start spilling your
    drivel?

    I said:
    "It *is* possible for the modem to have a problem but unlikely."

    So, give a possible solution to the problem or shut the f*&k up.
    You're always babbling and giving folks nothing but fits. I don't do
    this very often but I'm truly tired of you and your useless tripe.

    *PLONK*

    --
    Senex



+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast