Slower DSL download speed with router - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Slower DSL download speed with router - Firewalls ; In article , Tony@TheDeli.Sand wich says... > I usually don't ever agree with you but these trolls are getting to me too. > This leythos dude is well known all over usenet then he just appears as if > by ...

  1. Re: Slower DSL download speed with router

    In article <457B617F.D90F9741@TheDeli.Sandwich>, Tony@TheDeli.Sandwich
    says...
    > I usually don't ever agree with you but these trolls are getting to me too.
    > This leythos dude is well known all over usenet then he just appears as if
    > by magic here with some malarky.

    All over Usenet - and I only subscribe to 41 groups out of tens of
    thousands of them.

    The problem is while you have limited experience that shows one
    situation, I've got what appears to be broader experience with many
    different lines of each of the discussed vendors products, for many
    years, over many different types of WAN connections. My experience, is
    that "some" D-link product lines and some Linksys product lines are crap
    or only residential grade devices, while Linksys doesn't offer higher
    quality devices, D-Link does, and it appears you have NO EXPERIENCE with
    the DFL devices.

    > I told this unfortunate dlink router orphan
    > the same thing you told him. The router doesn't work.

    How do you explain 20+ people that I personally know that still have
    working 604 routers, that have never failed, for all these years - and I
    know the same number in Linksys, but I've never seen either of their
    residential routers provide better quality than the other.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

  2. Re: Slower DSL download speed with router (need Hawking CD)

    In article <1165714414.668306.181080@j72g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>,
    George.Mogiljansky@gmail.com says...
    > Someone mentioned the "wireless Hawking as the worst router ever". I
    > bought one because of the rebates that were never honoured and lost the
    > CD. Anyone have one? Please contact me on the list or at the gmail
    > address. Thanks.

    Why not check their website or at least tell people the model number
    that you want help with?

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

  3. Re: Slower DSL download speed with router

    In article <457B617F.D90F9741@TheDeli.Sandwich>, Tony@TheDeli.Sandwich
    says...
    > I usually don't ever agree with you but these trolls are getting to me too.
    > This leythos dude is well known all over usenet then he just appears as if
    > by magic here with some malarky. I told this unfortunate dlink router orphan
    > the same thing you told him. The router doesn't work.

    For Linksys:
    Results 1 - 10 of about 1,500,000 for linksys router problem. (0.31
    seconds)

    Results 1 - 10 of about 326,000 for linksys router failure. (0.23
    seconds)

    Results 1 - 10 of about 345,000 for linksys router failed. (0.22
    seconds)

    Results 1 - 10 of about 12,800 for befsr failure. (0.09 seconds)

    For D-Link:
    Results 1 - 10 of about 1,270,000 for dlink router problem. (0.27
    seconds)

    Results 1 - 10 of about 238,000 for dlink router failure. (0.21 seconds)

    Results 1 - 10 of about 203,000 for dlink router failed. (0.33 seconds)

    Results 1 - 10 of about 993 for di-604 failure. (0.15 seconds)

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

  4. Re: Slower DSL download speed with router

    Is this you steve? I wonder what the D in Dlink stands for? Defective?
    Demoralizing? Dog****?

    Leythos wrote:

    > In article <457B617F.D90F9741@TheDeli.Sandwich>, Tony@TheDeli.Sandwich
    > says...
    > > I usually don't ever agree with you but these trolls are getting to me too.
    > > This leythos dude is well known all over usenet then he just appears as if
    > > by magic here with some malarky. I told this unfortunate dlink router orphan
    > > the same thing you told him. The router doesn't work.

    > For Linksys:
    > Results 1 - 10 of about 1,500,000 for linksys router problem. (0.31
    > seconds)
    >
    > Results 1 - 10 of about 326,000 for linksys router failure. (0.23
    > seconds)
    >
    > Results 1 - 10 of about 345,000 for linksys router failed. (0.22
    > seconds)
    >
    > Results 1 - 10 of about 12,800 for befsr failure. (0.09 seconds)
    >
    > For D-Link:
    > Results 1 - 10 of about 1,270,000 for dlink router problem. (0.27
    > seconds)
    >
    > Results 1 - 10 of about 238,000 for dlink router failure. (0.21 seconds)
    >
    > Results 1 - 10 of about 203,000 for dlink router failed. (0.33 seconds)
    >
    > Results 1 - 10 of about 993 for di-604 failure. (0.15 seconds)
    >
    > --
    >
    > spam999free@rrohio.com
    > remove 999 in order to email me

  5. Re: Slower DSL download speed with router

    In article <457B720D.602BF8C7@TheDeli.Sandwich>, Tony@TheDeli.Sandwich
    says...
    [snip]

    What D-Link router, models, do you have experience with and how many?

    What Linksys routers, models, do you have experience with and how many?

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

  6. Re: Slower DSL download speed with router

    I think i went through about 7 or 8 Dlink routers in the first 6 months
    while it was still under warranty and i said to myself i've had enough of
    this. Upon some advice from a computer store owner i bought a linksys
    router. I'm still using the same router 8 years later.

    Leythos wrote:

    > In article <457B720D.602BF8C7@TheDeli.Sandwich>, Tony@TheDeli.Sandwich
    > says...
    > [snip]
    >
    > What D-Link router, models, do you have experience with and how many?
    >
    > What Linksys routers, models, do you have experience with and how many?
    >
    > --
    >
    > spam999free@rrohio.com
    > remove 999 in order to email me

  7. Re: Slower DSL download speed with router

    In article <457B7749.A20E1DDF@TheDeli.Sandwich>, Tony@TheDeli.Sandwich
    says...
    > I think i went through about 7 or 8 Dlink routers in the first 6 months
    > while it was still under warranty and i said to myself i've had enough of
    > this. Upon some advice from a computer store owner i bought a linksys
    > router. I'm still using the same router 8 years later.

    Ok, so you're completely discounting my experience with a LOT more
    devices from each vendor than you have - why?

    I've not said that either vendor makes perfect product, in fact, I've
    said the contrary, but, it has been my experience, probably more than
    many of the people that read this group, that the DFL series of routers
    is a far better performing\quality device than any of the BEFSR, SX, VP
    routers provided by Linksys.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

  8. Re: Slower DSL download speed with router

    Sid Knee wrote in

    > chuckcar wrote:
    >> The best way to handle ranters/trolls on usenet is to just ignore
    > > them and not reply to their posts.

    > ... and yet *you* continue to feed them.
    >

    >> Killfiling them may be satisfying, but doesn't achieve any desired
    > > effect.

    > In what way "doesn't achieve any desired effect"?

    Take the case with this fool: If I kill file him, he'll just switch to
    another nym - he's already done exactly that - he really freaked before
    he did though and that was kind of satisfying - You see I didn't really
    kill file him. I just said I did and then read his posts, completely
    ignoring what they said in mine. That's reason number one. Reason number
    two, if you kill file them, they can say anything they want about you,
    and you'll never know it, and that can be very bad. I'm sure you can
    think of others, but you get the idea - you post they can read anything
    you post, but you never read anything they post. Doesn't make for good
    knowledge of the lay of the land.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

  9. Re: Slower DSL download speed with router

    In article <457B7B78.DDE9B2D8@TheDeli.Sandwich>, Tony@TheDeli.Sandwich
    says...
    > Most of the people on this newsgroup couldn't afford a router. See, they need
    > sympatico charges. Soon a lot of people will file for bankruptcy if sympatico
    > brings in caps.

    What does that have to do with you thinking that your very, very, very,
    limited experience means that you are absolutely right and that you
    can't be wrong?

    As I said, your experience is not typical, does not follow what I've
    seen in way more cases, but it does indicate that there are some bad
    products, bad runs, on both sides, as we've both seen bad devices.

    What you've discounted is many years of my seeing cheap linksys units
    fail in a lot more solutions than you have experience with.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

  10. Re: Slower DSL download speed with router

    In article , chuckcar@nil.org
    says...
    > Sid Knee wrote in
    >
    > > chuckcar wrote:
    > >> The best way to handle ranters/trolls on usenet is to just ignore
    > > > them and not reply to their posts.

    > > ... and yet *you* continue to feed them.
    > >

    > >> Killfiling them may be satisfying, but doesn't achieve any desired
    > > > effect.

    > > In what way "doesn't achieve any desired effect"?
    > >

    > Take the case with this fool: If I kill file him, he'll just switch to
    > another nym - he's already done exactly that - he really freaked before
    > he did though and that was kind of satisfying - You see I didn't really
    > kill file him. I just said I did and then read his posts, completely
    > ignoring what they said in mine. That's reason number one. Reason number
    > two, if you kill file them, they can say anything they want about you,
    > and you'll never know it, and that can be very bad. I'm sure you can
    > think of others, but you get the idea - you post they can read anything
    > you post, but you never read anything they post. Doesn't make for good
    > knowledge of the lay of the land.

    If you're talking about my changing my name, it's not happened in a LONG
    time, I've posted as Leythos for more than 5 years.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

  11. Re: Slower DSL download speed with router

    At one point in time a while back two smaller canadian isp's were using linksys
    routers (the type they sell in best buy and future shop). That shows you what a
    linksys router can handle. A Dlink router would last but a millisecond under that
    kind of load.

    Leythos wrote:

    > In article <457B7B78.DDE9B2D8@TheDeli.Sandwich>, Tony@TheDeli.Sandwich
    > says...
    > > Most of the people on this newsgroup couldn't afford a router. See, they need
    > > all the money they can get to pay the exorbitant monthly subscription fees
    > > sympatico charges. Soon a lot of people will file for bankruptcy if sympatico
    > > brings in caps.

    > What does that have to do with you thinking that your very, very, very,
    > limited experience means that you are absolutely right and that you
    > can't be wrong?
    >
    > As I said, your experience is not typical, does not follow what I've
    > seen in way more cases, but it does indicate that there are some bad
    > products, bad runs, on both sides, as we've both seen bad devices.
    >
    > What you've discounted is many years of my seeing cheap linksys units
    > fail in a lot more solutions than you have experience with.
    >
    > --
    >
    > spam999free@rrohio.com
    > remove 999 in order to email me

  12. Re: Slower DSL download speed with router

    I hope you're not going to tell us you live in Medina Ohio and that other guy
    lives in Columbus.

    Leythos wrote:

    > In article , chuckcar@nil.org
    > says...
    > > Sid Knee wrote in

    > > > ... and yet *you* continue to feed them.

    > > > In what way "doesn't achieve any desired effect"?
    > > >

    > > Take the case with this fool: If I kill file him, he'll just switch to
    > > another nym - he's already done exactly that - he really freaked before
    > > he did though and that was kind of satisfying - You see I didn't really
    > > kill file him. I just said I did and then read his posts, completely
    > > ignoring what they said in mine. That's reason number one. Reason number
    > > two, if you kill file them, they can say anything they want about you,
    > > and you'll never know it, and that can be very bad. I'm sure you can
    > > think of others, but you get the idea - you post they can read anything
    > > you post, but you never read anything they post. Doesn't make for good
    > > knowledge of the lay of the land.

    > If you're talking about my changing my name, it's not happened in a LONG
    > time, I've posted as Leythos for more than 5 years.
    >
    > --
    >
    > spam999free@rrohio.com
    > remove 999 in order to email me

  13. Re: Slower DSL download speed with router

    Leythos wrote in

    > In article , chuckcar@nil.org
    > says...

    >> Take the case with this fool: If I kill file him, he'll just switch
    >> to another nym - he's already done exactly that - he really freaked
    >> before he did though and that was kind of satisfying - You see I
    >> didn't really kill file him. I just said I did and then read his
    >> posts, completely ignoring what they said in mine. That's reason
    >> number one. Reason number two, if you kill file them, they can say
    >> anything they want about you, and you'll never know it, and that can
    >> be very bad. I'm sure you can think of others, but you get the idea -
    >> you post they can read anything you post, but you never read anything
    >> they post. Doesn't make for good knowledge of the lay of the land.

    > If you're talking about my changing my name, it's not happened in a
    > LONG time, I've posted as Leythos for more than 5 years.

    No, you're just another victim that's experienced the "Steve delusion"
    problem. I've seen it happen on at least 6 other groups. Just in case
    you don't know (which apparently you don't - pay more attention to the
    "volume" posters - good and bad) Tony aka Steve aka Seedless Grape aka
    Steveo ... Are one and the same person. Welcome to usenet, where the
    loonies you cross the street to avoid can send you messages.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

  14. Re: Slower DSL download speed with router

    In article <457B8200.401F3F5E@TheDeli.Sandwich>, Tony@TheDeli.Sandwich
    says...
    > At one point in time a while back two smaller canadian isp's were using linksys
    > routers (the type they sell in best buy and future shop). That shows you what a
    > linksys router can handle. A Dlink router would last but a millisecond under that
    > kind of load.

    LOL - so you're telling me that a ISP was using a BEFSR to route ALL of
    their traffic from customers to the internet? Ha Ha Ha - you're lost.
    They might have provided their customers with Linksys routers, but that
    doesn't indicate they did it because of quality, more that they got a
    good deal and wanted to limit excess traffic on their backbone from
    their customer.

    Why do you ignore that every linksys router I've placed under heavy load
    has rebooted/failed, and when replaced with a D-Link DFL series router,
    that there were no more failures, no problems?

    It seems that facts and experience completely contradict the limited
    scope of your experience. It would also seem that you don't know what
    capacity the Linksys routers were used by that ISP or the capacity of
    the ISP.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

  15. Re: Slower DSL download speed with router

    In article <457B82E0.78C28848@TheDeli.Sandwich>, Tony@TheDeli.Sandwich
    says...
    > I hope you're not going to tell us you live in Medina Ohio and that other guy
    > lives in Columbus.

    I don't live in Medina or Columbus. I've used this nickname for ages,
    many years, and other than posting to one other group with a pseudo
    first name because of moderator rules, I've never shifted names in
    Usenet. I've been posting as either my nickname Leythos, Void or my real
    name since 84.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

  16. Re: Slower DSL download speed with router

    In article , chuckcar@nil.org
    says...
    > Leythos wrote in
    >
    > > In article , chuckcar@nil.org
    > > says...

    > >> Take the case with this fool: If I kill file him, he'll just switch
    > >> to another nym - he's already done exactly that - he really freaked
    > >> before he did though and that was kind of satisfying - You see I
    > >> didn't really kill file him. I just said I did and then read his
    > >> posts, completely ignoring what they said in mine. That's reason
    > >> number one. Reason number two, if you kill file them, they can say
    > >> anything they want about you, and you'll never know it, and that can
    > >> be very bad. I'm sure you can think of others, but you get the idea -
    > >> you post they can read anything you post, but you never read anything
    > >> they post. Doesn't make for good knowledge of the lay of the land.

    > > If you're talking about my changing my name, it's not happened in a
    > > LONG time, I've posted as Leythos for more than 5 years.
    > >

    > No, you're just another victim that's experienced the "Steve delusion"
    > problem. I've seen it happen on at least 6 other groups. Just in case
    > you don't know (which apparently you don't - pay more attention to the
    > "volume" posters - good and bad) Tony aka Steve aka Seedless Grape aka
    > Steveo ... Are one and the same person. Welcome to usenet, where the
    > loonies you cross the street to avoid can send you messages.

    LOL, yea, I figured he was a troll, but I was bored and figure that
    facts will always get them upset, as it's hard to derail a fact based
    discussion if you keep pointing out where they are wrong - even better
    when you can prove they don't know what they are talking about

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

  17. Re: Slower DSL download speed with router

    I've only been posting on usenet since 1988 that is since the days of fidonet (when
    it first originated). I've always been Tony for as far back as when usenet started.

    Leythos wrote:

    > In article <457B82E0.78C28848@TheDeli.Sandwich>, Tony@TheDeli.Sandwich
    > says...
    > > I hope you're not going to tell us you live in Medina Ohio and that other guy
    > > lives in Columbus.

    > I don't live in Medina or Columbus. I've used this nickname for ages,
    > many years, and other than posting to one other group with a pseudo
    > first name because of moderator rules, I've never shifted names in
    > Usenet. I've been posting as either my nickname Leythos, Void or my real
    > name since 84.
    >
    > --
    >
    > spam999free@rrohio.com
    > remove 999 in order to email me

  18. Re: Slower DSL download speed with router

    In article <457B860C.BA0AC19C@TheDeli.Sandwich>, Tony@TheDeli.Sandwich
    says...
    > I've only been posting on usenet since 1988 that is since the days of fidonet (when
    > it first originated). I've always been Tony for as far back as when usenet started.

    And I started in 84, and also with the Commodore network that relayed
    messages between systems in the same area-codes to save toll costs
    between states and Canada, long before 88.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

  19. Re: Slower DSL download speed with router

    Apparently you don't know just how bad or just how desperate some of these smaller
    isp's in canada got before they went bankrupt. I know for a fact "nothing but net" was
    using a few of them.

    Leythos wrote:

    > In article <457B8200.401F3F5E@TheDeli.Sandwich>, Tony@TheDeli.Sandwich
    > says...
    > > At one point in time a while back two smaller canadian isp's were using linksys
    > > routers (the type they sell in best buy and future shop). That shows you what a
    > > linksys router can handle. A Dlink router would last but a millisecond under that
    > > kind of load.

    > LOL - so you're telling me that a ISP was using a BEFSR to route ALL of
    > their traffic from customers to the internet? Ha Ha Ha - you're lost.
    > They might have provided their customers with Linksys routers, but that
    > doesn't indicate they did it because of quality, more that they got a
    > good deal and wanted to limit excess traffic on their backbone from
    > their customer.
    >
    > Why do you ignore that every linksys router I've placed under heavy load
    > has rebooted/failed, and when replaced with a D-Link DFL series router,
    > that there were no more failures, no problems?
    >
    > It seems that facts and experience completely contradict the limited
    > scope of your experience. It would also seem that you don't know what
    > capacity the Linksys routers were used by that ISP or the capacity of
    > the ISP.
    >
    > --
    >
    > spam999free@rrohio.com
    > remove 999 in order to email me

  20. Re: Slower DSL download speed with router

    In article <457B8716.826517AD@TheDeli.Sandwich>, Tony@TheDeli.Sandwich
    says...
    > Apparently you don't know just how bad or just how desperate some of these smaller
    > isp's in canada got before they went bankrupt. I know for a fact "nothing but net" was
    > using a few of them.

    And if they were having customer relation problems because of bad
    connections you just might have hit on the reason.

    Now, you've still not told us if they provided the Linksys to
    users/subscribers or if they built their company infrastructure on the
    Linksys routers - if users/subscribers, then there was little chance of
    a significant load, if their infrastructure, they were fools and no
    wonder they went under.