Re: Low power, quiet least expensive firewall option - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Re: Low power, quiet least expensive firewall option - Firewalls ; On Fri, 8 Dec 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.security.firewalls, in article , arja wrote: >> Laptops are designed to be power-lean and silent. why don't they make >> desktops that way ? > >That the performance/$ question. The Internet ...

  1. Re: Low power, quiet least expensive firewall option

    <457977c1$0$15792$ba620dc5@text.nova.planet.nl>, arja wrote:

    >> Laptops are designed to be power-lean and silent. why don't they make
    >> desktops that way ?

    >That the performance/$ question.

    The Internet side of the firewall is generally a 10 Megabit Ethernet
    style connection - and only with rare exception is the data rate in excess
    of that. A 16 bit ISA bus - used on the 80386SX can handle 15 MegaByte
    per second. A 32 bit ISA bus can handle anything a cable/DSL connection
    can provide without raising a sweat. The main problem with the ISA bus is
    handling 100 Megabit LANs as there were not that many interface cards
    capable of that speed (ex: 3C515). Laptops also make it difficult to have
    two independent network cards - difficult, but hardly impractical. I
    think the remnants of the laptop I'm using was an Acer (I got it from a
    spare parts table at a yard sale) - certainly it's a 386SX-16 with two
    10BaseT network cards and a modem (for a backup connection to the world)
    and a second serial port used as a backup connection for administration.
    It is more than adequate.

    Your firewall will need more recourses if it has a display of a police
    officer directing characters riding in toy cars representing traffic
    that the firewall is passing. Most people find that the firewall itself
    works quite well without this crap. Likewise, the firewall does not
    need to mail self-congratulatory messages to every user announcing that it
    has blocked "an attack" from some random address out in the world. The
    connection was blocked - it's over - get on with your life. Nothing you
    can do will cause the Internet Police to come an arrest the owner of the
    remote computer.

    Old guy

  2. Re: Low power, quiet least expensive firewall option

    Moe Trin wrote:

    > The Internet side of the firewall is generally a 10 Megabit Ethernet
    > style connection - and only with rare exception is the data rate in excess
    > of that.

    Just FYI:
    Here in DK, the ISP's are aggressively rolling out ADSL2+, which provides up
    to 20Mbps, so i think the days of 10Mbps is over.

    --
    Med venlig hilsen
    Stig Johansen

+ Reply to Thread