Re: Announcing the release of Anti-Steganography (AntiSteg v1.00) - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Re: Announcing the release of Anti-Steganography (AntiSteg v1.00) - Firewalls ; I have yet to find even one person that can demonstrate to me a picture with said malicious content. Yes, pictures can contain hidden information, but prey tell how it can contain a virus that will harm my computer? A ...

  1. Re: Announcing the release of Anti-Steganography (AntiSteg v1.00)

    I have yet to find even one person that can demonstrate to me
    a picture with said malicious content.

    Yes, pictures can contain hidden information, but prey tell
    how it can contain a virus that will harm my computer?

    A virus is nothing unless the code is executed. In this case
    that would require image editing/viewing software to be designed
    to look for and execute the code found in "stegged" images.

    All I ask is for someone to demonstrate this.

    Point me to a URL that contains sample images.

    Brian
    Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?

  2. Re: Announcing the release of Anti-Steganography (AntiSteg v1.00)

    Skywise wrote:

    > Yes, pictures can contain hidden information, but prey tell
    > how it can contain a virus that will harm my computer?

    Images CAN cause a buffer overflow in badly written viewers...

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../ms04-028.mspx

    Juergen Nieveler
    --
    Here's a Quarter, call somebody who cares.

  3. Re: Announcing the release of Anti-Steganography (AntiSteg v1.00)

    Juergen Nieveler wrote in

    > Skywise wrote:
    >
    >> Yes, pictures can contain hidden information, but prey tell
    >> how it can contain a virus that will harm my computer?

    > Images CAN cause a buffer overflow in badly written viewers...
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../ms04-028.mspx

    But that isn't steganography.

    Brian
    Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?

  4. Re: Announcing the release of Anti-Steganography (AntiSteg v1.00)

    Skywise wrote:

    >>> Yes, pictures can contain hidden information, but prey tell
    >>> how it can contain a virus that will harm my computer?

    >> Images CAN cause a buffer overflow in badly written viewers...
    >>
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../ms04-028.mspx

    > But that isn't steganography.

    Debatable. If you put an exploit code into a malformed (but still
    working) JPEG, this IS a message (only machine-readable, though) hidden
    inside an image file. It's not Steganography in the classic sense, of
    course.

    Juergen Nieveler
    --
    DOS never says EXCELLENT command or filename...

  5. Re: Announcing the release of Anti-Steganography (AntiSteg v1.00)

    How is any of this discussion even remotely firewall related? There are
    about a dozen crypto and cypher newsgroups that are more appropriate.

    -Gary

  6. Re: Announcing the release of Anti-Steganography (AntiSteg v1.00)

    Gary wrote in news:6005.49122ef4.a6c06@efn.org:

    > How is any of this discussion even remotely firewall related? There are
    > about a dozen crypto and cypher newsgroups that are more appropriate.

    Point taken, but I counter with the fact that this is an very
    low traffic group, so what's it hurt? And it is informative.

    Although, it could still be considered related as firewalls
    and this discussion have to do with protecting computer systems
    from malicious intent.

    Brian
    Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?

+ Reply to Thread