Need help regarding MTU, MCC, ICMP Headers ... !!! - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Need help regarding MTU, MCC, ICMP Headers ... !!! - Firewalls ; Hello !! I'm trying to set the MTU value of a new PC -- dual boot, Linux & Windows -- and the lan card, the adsl modem, etc. Since I'm not so bright, I went online to check. The more ...

  1. Need help regarding MTU, MCC, ICMP Headers ... !!!

    Hello !!

    I'm trying to set the MTU value of a new PC -- dual boot, Linux &
    Windows -- and the lan card, the adsl modem, etc.

    Since I'm not so bright, I went online to check. The more I check,
    however, the more I got confused.

    On this page http://help.expedient.com/broadband/mtu_ping_test.shtml
    ( scrolling down to #5 where it ) says "Add 28 to that number (IP/ICMP
    headers) to get the optimal MTU setting"

    On this page, http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=157
    however, ( scrolling down to TCPWindowSize ) it is telling me that
    "MSS is generally MTU - 40 (20 byte TCP and 20 byte IP headers)" !

    Which one is correct?

    Just exactly how much do all the headers add on to a packet?

    28 bytes or 40 bytes??

    Let's say I've done the "MTU Ping Test" to various websites, and has
    obtained 1452 as _the_ optimum number. My question is this ---

    What's the correct MTU setting?

    Is it 1480 (1452 + 28) ?
    or
    Is it 1492 (1452 + 40) ?

    In Windows, what numer should I set for the TCPWindowSize, the
    GlobalMaxTcpWindowSize, the TcpWindowSize and so on?

    Is the MTU value the same for Linux, Solaris and Windows??

    Please help !!

    Thank you !

  2. Re: Need help regarding MTU, MCC, ICMP Headers ... !!!

    pg wrote:
    > Hello !!
    >
    > I'm trying to set the MTU value of a new PC -- dual boot, Linux &
    > Windows -- and the lan card, the adsl modem, etc.
    >
    > Since I'm not so bright, I went online to check. The more I check,
    > however, the more I got confused.
    >
    > On this page http://help.expedient.com/broadband/mtu_ping_test.shtml
    > ( scrolling down to #5 where it ) says "Add 28 to that number (IP/ICMP
    > headers) to get the optimal MTU setting"
    >
    > On this page, http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=157
    > however, ( scrolling down to TCPWindowSize ) it is telling me that
    > "MSS is generally MTU - 40 (20 byte TCP and 20 byte IP headers)" !
    >
    > Which one is correct?
    >
    > Just exactly how much do all the headers add on to a packet?
    >
    > 28 bytes or 40 bytes??
    >
    > Let's say I've done the "MTU Ping Test" to various websites, and has
    > obtained 1452 as _the_ optimum number. My question is this ---
    >
    > What's the correct MTU setting?
    >
    > Is it 1480 (1452 + 28) ?
    > or
    > Is it 1492 (1452 + 40) ?
    >
    > In Windows, what numer should I set for the TCPWindowSize, the
    > GlobalMaxTcpWindowSize, the TcpWindowSize and so on?
    >
    > Is the MTU value the same for Linux, Solaris and Windows??
    >
    > Please help !!
    >
    > Thank you !

    What problem are you trying to solve?

    AFAIK there is no benefit and great risk in changing the default!

  3. Re: Need help regarding MTU, MCC, ICMP Headers ... !!!

    pg wrote in
    m:

    > Hello !!
    >
    > I'm trying to set the MTU value of a new PC -- dual boot, Linux &
    > Windows -- and the lan card, the adsl modem, etc.
    >
    > Since I'm not so bright, I went online to check. The more I check,
    > however, the more I got confused.
    >
    > On this page
    > http://help.expedient.com/broadband/mtu_ping_test.shtml (
    > scrolling down to #5 where it ) says "Add 28 to that number
    > (IP/ICMP headers) to get the optimal MTU setting"
    >
    > On this page, http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=157
    > however, ( scrolling down to TCPWindowSize ) it is telling me that
    > "MSS is generally MTU - 40 (20 byte TCP and 20 byte IP headers)" !
    >
    > Which one is correct?
    >
    > Just exactly how much do all the headers add on to a packet?
    >
    > 28 bytes or 40 bytes??
    >
    > Let's say I've done the "MTU Ping Test" to various websites, and
    > has obtained 1452 as _the_ optimum number. My question is this ---
    >
    > What's the correct MTU setting?
    >
    > Is it 1480 (1452 + 28) ?
    > or
    > Is it 1492 (1452 + 40) ?
    >
    > In Windows, what numer should I set for the TCPWindowSize, the
    > GlobalMaxTcpWindowSize, the TcpWindowSize and so on?
    >
    > Is the MTU value the same for Linux, Solaris and Windows??

    I generally go with the advice at dslreports:
    < http://www.dslreports.com/faq/tweaks >
    (Section 4 is MTU).

    Microsoft has a decent write-up on MTU:
    "Path MTU Discovery"

    MTU should not be set higher than 1500 (1492 if PPPoE (DSL)).
    You should not tweak the settings on Windows Vista.
    If you use VPN, you may find that you may need to set the MTU lower
    still. If file transfers start failing and you have adjusted your MTU,
    then consider that you should reduce the size even further.

    HTH,
    John

+ Reply to Thread