Proxy server in Belgium? - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Proxy server in Belgium? - Firewalls ; Somebody emailed me, saying they are in London. I have several reasons to believe this person is not who they say they are. So I traced the email back to a TV/cable company in Belgium, using the header info in ...

  1. Proxy server in Belgium?

    Somebody emailed me, saying they are in London. I have several
    reasons to believe this person is not who they say they are. So I
    traced the email back to a TV/cable company in Belgium, using the
    header info in the email. For reasons I will not get into, I believe
    this to be accurate.

    Is there a possibility that a yahoo email from the UK near London
    would use a proxy server in Belgium? If so, why would it not show up
    in the trace?

    Thank you.

  2. Re: Proxy server in Belgium?

    "Osyrys" wrote in message
    > Somebody emailed me, saying they are in London. I have several
    > reasons to believe this person is not who they say they are. So I
    > traced the email back to a TV/cable company in Belgium, using the
    > header info in the email. For reasons I will not get into, I believe
    > this to be accurate.
    >
    > Is there a possibility that a yahoo email from the UK near London
    > would use a proxy server in Belgium? If so, why would it not show up
    > in the trace?
    >
    > Thank you.

    I just happen to be an expert on the use of proxies, since I have often
    talked of people using proxies either from work, or from more
    authoritarian countries to avoid filtering.

    If someone was in London and emailed you through a proxy in
    Belgium. It could be they were at work and probably wanted to
    hide what they were doing from the boss. That is probably what
    was going on..

  3. Re: Proxy server in Belgium?

    On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 20:50:37 -0700 (PDT), Osyrys wrote:

    > Is there a possibility that a yahoo email from the UK near London
    > would use a proxy server in Belgium?

    I'm guessing you're talking about Telenet? In the beginning, the only
    way to surf with Telenet was through a proxy server
    (proxy.pandora.be/proxy.telenet.be or http://pac.pandora.be:8080 /
    http://pac.telenet.be:8080 ). So I'm guessing this user owns a laptop
    and hasn't changed his/her browser proxy settings, so he/she is still
    surfing through the Telenet proxy, even when not in Belgium.

    --
    s|b

  4. Re: Proxy server in Belgium?

    On Oct 19, 11:01*am, "s|b" wrote:
    > On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 20:50:37 -0700 (PDT), Osyrys wrote:
    > > Is there a possibility that a yahoo email from the UK near London
    > > would use a proxy server in Belgium?

    > I'm guessing you're talking about Telenet? In the beginning, the only
    > way to surf with Telenet was through a proxy server
    > (proxy.pandora.be/proxy.telenet.be orhttp://pac.pandora.be:8080/http://pac.telenet.be:8080). So I'm guessing this user owns a laptop
    > and hasn't changed his/her browser proxy settings, so he/she is still
    > surfing through the Telenet proxy, even when not in Belgium.
    >
    > --
    > s|b

    Well, this person claims to never have been in Belgium. I know she's
    not at work. I just don't understand why it is necessary for an email
    from the UK to be routed through a Belgium TV company.

  5. Re: Proxy server in Belgium?

    On Oct 19, 11:01*am, "s|b" wrote:
    > On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 20:50:37 -0700 (PDT), Osyrys wrote:
    > > Is there a possibility that a yahoo email from the UK near London
    > > would use a proxy server in Belgium?

    > I'm guessing you're talking about Telenet? In the beginning, the only
    > way to surf with Telenet was through a proxy server
    > (proxy.pandora.be/proxy.telenet.be orhttp://pac.pandora.be:8080/http://pac.telenet.be:8080). So I'm guessing this user owns a laptop
    > and hasn't changed his/her browser proxy settings, so he/she is still
    > surfing through the Telenet proxy, even when not in Belgium.
    >
    > --
    > s|b

    The other thing is, when I compare the origin of her email with an
    email from the person I think this is, they go back to the exact same
    spot in Belgium.

  6. Re: Proxy server in Belgium?

    In article , Chilly8 wrote:

    >I just happen to be an expert on the use of proxies,

    If you are, you certainly haven't displayed that expertise
    publically (and yes, I have seen a number of your postings about
    proxies.)

  7. Re: Proxy server in Belgium?

    On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 11:30:05 -0700 (PDT), Osyrys wrote:

    > routed through a Belgium TV company.

    Perhaps it would be helpful to mention *which* Belgian TV company?

    --
    s|b

  8. Re: Proxy server in Belgium?

    On Oct 19, 1:07*pm, "s|b" wrote:
    > On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 11:30:05 -0700 (PDT), Osyrys wrote:
    > > routed through a Belgium TV company.

    > Perhaps it would be helpful to mention *which* Belgian TV company?
    >
    > --
    > s|b

    here is the info:

    % This is the RIPE Whois query server #3.
    % The objects are in RPSL format.
    %
    % Rights restricted by copyright.
    % See http://www.ripe.net/db/copyright.html

    % Note: This output has been filtered.
    % To receive output for a database update, use the "-B" flag.

    % Information related to '85.201.0.0 - 85.201.63.255'

    inetnum: 85.201.0.0 - 85.201.63.255
    netname: TVCABLENET
    descr: ELECTRABEL
    descr: Belgian Cable Modem ISP
    descr: # Please report abuse to abuse@tvcablenet.be#
    country: BE
    admin-c: BH1260-RIPE
    tech-c: AM6971-RIPE
    status: ASSIGNED PA
    mnt-by: tvcablenet-be-ripe-mntner
    mnt-routes: TELENET-OPS-MNT
    mnt-domains: tvcablenet-be-ripe-mntner
    source: RIPE # Filtered

    person: Bernard Haine
    address: Avenue Jean Monnet 2 B-1348 Louvain-La-Neuve BELGIUM
    phone: + 3210486902
    fax-no: + 3210486975
    e-mail: bernard.haine@netmanagement.be
    nic-hdl: BH1260-RIPE
    source: RIPE # Filtered

    person: Andre Medaets
    address: Avenue Jean Monnet 2 B-1348 Louvain-La-Neuve BELGIUM
    phone: + 3210486610
    fax-no: + 3210486975
    e-mail: andre.medaets@netmanagement.be
    nic-hdl: AM6971-RIPE
    source: RIPE # Filtered

    % Information related to '85.201.0.0/18AS6848'

    route: 85.201.0.0/18
    descr: TVCABLENET
    origin: AS6848
    mnt-by: tvcablenet-be-ripe-mntner
    mnt-by: TELENET-OPS-MNT
    source: RIPE # Filtered

  9. Re: Proxy server in Belgium?

    "Walter Roberson" wrote in message
    > In article , Chilly8 wrote:
    >
    >>I just happen to be an expert on the use of proxies,

    > If you are, you certainly haven't displayed that expertise
    > publically (and yes, I have seen a number of your postings about
    > proxies.)

    Well, I do get interesting people using my proxies. I have one
    woman out in California who works in radio at night, but
    has to have another job during the day. She uses my proxy,
    at her day job, to log into web sites she needs to get ready
    for her nighttime radio gig, which is her second job, and the
    boss at her day job has no CLUE as to what she is up to,
    because she is making an encrypted connection to my proxy.

    She is a talk show co-host on one of a sports station there,
    and she needs to access certain web sites, before she goes
    on the air in the evening, and by using my proxy, she
    circumvents the blocking of sports-related web sites, at
    her day job. The connection is a secure encrypted
    connection, and cannot be monitored or sniffed. I am
    always willing to help out someone working in radio
    who may be just starting out and may have to take a
    second job elsehwhere. She signs on to my VPN
    server, and accesses the web sites she needs to get
    ready for her nighttime radio gig.

  10. Re: Proxy server in Belgium?

    Idiot. You never did look up "traffic analysis" like I suggested,
    did you? Just because a message cannot be read does not mean
    information cannot be gathered form it. And again, if an employee
    is willfully circumventing company policy, they are rightfully
    risking their job.

    Brian
    Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?

  11. Re: Proxy server in Belgium?

    "Skywise" wrote in message
    > Idiot. You never did look up "traffic analysis" like I suggested,
    > did you? Just because a message cannot be read does not mean
    > information cannot be gathered form it. And again, if an employee
    > is willfully circumventing company policy, they are rightfully
    > risking their job.

    However, this woman holds down TWO jobs and MUST access
    certain websites to get ready for her evening job as a sports radio
    talk host. So helping someone else, who needs to access certain
    web sites before they go on the air for their evening job, I have no
    problem with it and I do NOT see that as unethical.

  12. Re: Proxy server in Belgium?

    In message "Chilly8" was
    claimed to have wrote:

    >However, this woman holds down TWO jobs and MUST access
    >certain websites to get ready for her evening job as a sports radio
    >talk host.

    And how is that the day job's problem?

    If she "must" access certain websites, then her night time employers
    should supply an appropriate connection and/or make having said access
    prior to employment hours a job requirement, in which case she should
    provide her own access.

    >So helping someone else, who needs to access certain
    >web sites before they go on the air for their evening job, I have no
    >problem with it and I do NOT see that as unethical.

    This is actually more unethical then your normal, you've gone from
    helping individuals waste their employer's resources for personal use to
    helping one company unwittingly subsidize another company.

  13. Re: Proxy server in Belgium?

    "Chilly8" wrote in news:gdj311$qkk$1@aioe.org:

    > However, this woman holds down TWO jobs and MUST access
    > certain websites to get ready for her evening job as a sports radio
    > talk host. So helping someone else, who needs to access certain
    > web sites before they go on the air for their evening job,

    Then she needs to plan her life better, as it WILL catch up to
    her.

    > I have no
    > problem with it and I do NOT see that as unethical.

    We are already aware of your ethics (or lack thereof).

    Brian
    Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?

  14. Re: Proxy server in Belgium?

    "Chilly8" wrote in message

    > "Osyrys" wrote in message
    >> Somebody emailed me, saying they are in London. I have several
    >> reasons to believe this person is not who they say they are. So I
    >> traced the email back to a TV/cable company in Belgium, using the
    >> header info in the email. For reasons I will not get into, I believe
    >> this to be accurate.
    >>
    >> Is there a possibility that a yahoo email from the UK near London
    >> would use a proxy server in Belgium? If so, why would it not show up
    >> in the trace?
    >>
    >> Thank you.

    > I just happen to be an expert on the use of proxies, since I have often
    > talked of people using proxies either from work, or from more
    > authoritarian countries to avoid filtering.

    I found another trick to keep us out of the filtering lists of the
    major filtering providers. I used Sam Spade to find the IP
    ranges of the networks belonging to the like to WebSense,
    SurfControl, Sentian, Bess and others, and entered rules
    into my firewall, which blocks them from accessing my
    web page. This way, their autmoated "bots" cannot scan
    my site and categorise it. So I either stay out of filtering
    lists, or get dropped when they go to scan my lists,
    but it will appear as it my site is not there, so my site
    either does not get categorised, or it gets dropped
    from the filtering lists, which makes me accessible
    in more schools and workplaces, many of which are
    reliant on commercial filtering software to guard their
    networks.

    And blocking the filters from scanning my website
    is LEGAL, and I CANNOT BE PROSECUTED
    by either the filter vendors, or any of their customers
    that depend on them to guard their networks. Its
    MY server, and I am well within my rights to block
    the filtering vendors' automated bots from accessing
    my site and categorising it.

    And I am seeing the differernce. I am seeing enough
    listeners on our coverage of one skating event, that
    the number of "standard" listeners (who can listen
    without buying a Live 365 VIP membership) has
    maxed out. And I am seeing connections from
    office networks all over the place. I have 217
    listners right now as I am writing this, nearly all
    of them coming from office networks in Canada
    and the USA, where it is still the working hours,
    so more people can access my site without having
    to resort to proxies.

+ Reply to Thread