zone alarm start up - Firewalls

This is a discussion on zone alarm start up - Firewalls ; Hi, I wonder if someone can help me. When I start my machine up I get a `Zone alarm pop up security alert` Server Program saying Generic Host Process for Win32 Servers is trying to act as a server Identification: ...

  1. zone alarm start up

    Hi,

    I wonder if someone can help me. When I start my machine up I get a `Zone
    alarm pop up security alert` Server Program saying
    Generic Host Process for Win32 Servers is trying to act as a server

    Identification: None
    Application: sychost.exe
    Source IP: 0.0.0.0.Port 135

    if I do either, click on the button `remember this setting.`Allow` or `Deny`
    Zone Alarm then starts up and my machine works OK.
    The trouble is it will still pop up next time I boot up so its getting to be
    a pain. Any ideas how to stop this popping up every time.

    Thanks

    Ken

  2. Re: zone alarm start up

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 06:54:21 +0100, "Ken Walsh"
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I wonder if someone can help me. When I start my machine up I get a `Zone
    >alarm pop up security alert` Server Program saying
    >Generic Host Process for Win32 Servers is trying to act as a server
    >
    >Identification: None
    >Application: sychost.exe
    >Source IP: 0.0.0.0.Port 135
    >
    >if I do either, click on the button `remember this setting.`Allow` or `Deny`
    >Zone Alarm then starts up and my machine works OK.
    >The trouble is it will still pop up next time I boot up so its getting to be
    >a pain. Any ideas how to stop this popping up every time.

    That's easy. Uninstall ZA. You don't need it anyway.

  3. Re: zone alarm start up

    Ken Walsh wrote:
    > Application: sychost.exe

    http://www.liutilities.com/products/...brary/sychost/

    Chris

  4. Re: zone alarm start up

    "Root Kit" wrote in message
    > On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 06:54:21 +0100, "Ken Walsh"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>I wonder if someone can help me. When I start my machine up I get a
    >>`Zone
    >>alarm pop up security alert` Server Program saying
    >>Generic Host Process for Win32 Servers is trying to act as a server
    >>
    >>Identification: None
    >>Application: sychost.exe
    >>Source IP: 0.0.0.0.Port 135
    >>
    >>if I do either, click on the button `remember this setting.`Allow` or
    >>`Deny`
    >>Zone Alarm then starts up and my machine works OK.
    >>The trouble is it will still pop up next time I boot up so its getting
    >>to be
    >>a pain. Any ideas how to stop this popping up every time.

    > That's easy. Uninstall ZA. You don't need it anyway.

    Looks like HE does.
    Unless he's ignoring other virus indicators.

    Eric

    --
    Remove the dross to contact me directly

  5. Re: zone alarm start up

    "Ken Walsh" wrote in message
    news:uuOdnfZSesURGGjVnZ2dneKdnZydnZ2d@posted.plusn et...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I wonder if someone can help me. When I start my machine up I get a `Zone
    > alarm pop up security alert` Server Program saying
    > Generic Host Process for Win32 Servers is trying to act as a server
    >
    > Identification: None
    > Application: sychost.exe
    > Source IP: 0.0.0.0.Port 135
    >
    > if I do either, click on the button `remember this setting.`Allow` or
    > `Deny` Zone Alarm then starts up and my machine works OK.
    > The trouble is it will still pop up next time I boot up so its getting to
    > be a pain. Any ideas how to stop this popping up every time.

    If the name of the application really is sychost.exe not svchost.exe then
    it's a bit late to replace the useless firewall software with a somewhat
    useful virus scanner. You will need to back up any wanted files and
    reinstall the operating system and everything else from clean media.

    If, as I suspect, you meant svchost.exe then your best plan is to remove the
    useless firewall software and install a virus scanner if you don't already
    have one. Make sure the windows firewall is turned on. If you want a free
    virus scanner try http://www.free-av.com/ but a paid one is best because you
    might otherwise still be troubled by nag popups asking you to buy a virus
    scanner.

  6. Re: zone alarm start up

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 17:47:26 +0100, "Eric Parker"
    wrote:

    >"Root Kit" wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 06:54:21 +0100, "Ken Walsh"
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi,
    >>>
    >>>I wonder if someone can help me. When I start my machine up I get a
    >>>`Zone
    >>>alarm pop up security alert` Server Program saying
    >>>Generic Host Process for Win32 Servers is trying to act as a server
    >>>
    >>>Identification: None
    >>>Application: sychost.exe
    >>>Source IP: 0.0.0.0.Port 135
    >>>
    >>>if I do either, click on the button `remember this setting.`Allow` or
    >>>`Deny`
    >>>Zone Alarm then starts up and my machine works OK.
    >>>The trouble is it will still pop up next time I boot up so its getting
    >>>to be
    >>>a pain. Any ideas how to stop this popping up every time.

    >> That's easy. Uninstall ZA. You don't need it anyway.

    >Looks like HE does.
    >Unless he's ignoring other virus indicators.

    My point exactly.

  7. Re: zone alarm start up

    "Network Admin" wrote in message
    > "Ken Walsh" wrote in message
    > news:uuOdnfZSesURGGjVnZ2dneKdnZydnZ2d@posted.plusn et...
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I wonder if someone can help me. When I start my machine up I get a `Zone
    >> alarm pop up security alert` Server Program saying
    >> Generic Host Process for Win32 Servers is trying to act as a server
    >>
    >> Identification: None
    >> Application: sychost.exe
    >> Source IP: 0.0.0.0.Port 135
    >>
    >> if I do either, click on the button `remember this setting.`Allow` or
    >> `Deny` Zone Alarm then starts up and my machine works OK.
    >> The trouble is it will still pop up next time I boot up so its getting to
    >> be a pain. Any ideas how to stop this popping up every time.

    > If the name of the application really is sychost.exe not svchost.exe then
    > it's a bit late to replace the useless firewall software with a somewhat
    > useful virus scanner. You will need to back up any wanted files and
    > reinstall the operating system and everything else from clean media.
    >
    > If, as I suspect, you meant svchost.exe then your best plan is to remove
    > the useless firewall software and install a virus scanner if you don't
    > already have one. Make sure the windows firewall is turned on. If you want
    > a free virus scanner try http://www.free-av.com/ but a paid one is best
    > because you might otherwise still be troubled by nag popups asking you to
    > buy a virus scanner.

    Sorry my mistake I went and checked again after reading the replies and like
    an idiot I am (blind as a bat as well)
    yes your right it is SVCHOST.EXE and not sychost.exe

+ Reply to Thread