Sygate Firewall?? - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Sygate Firewall?? - Firewalls ; About 7-yrs ago, my son built me a Win98 computer for my birthday. I have been running Sygate Pro v5.5-2710 on it with excellent results. Today I found out that my son and daughter are building up an XP computer ...

  1. Sygate Firewall??

    About 7-yrs ago, my son built me a Win98 computer for my
    birthday. I have been running Sygate Pro v5.5-2710 on it
    with excellent results.
    Today I found out that my son and daughter are building
    up an XP computer for my birthday, again.

    Does anyone know is Sygate Pro v5.5-2710 can be run
    on an XP box?? If so, did you encounter any problems
    with it??
    Thank you,
    Casey

  2. Re: Sygate Firewall??

    On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 13:43:01 -0500, Casey wrote:

    > About 7-yrs ago, my son built me a Win98 computer for my
    > birthday. I have been running Sygate Pro v5.5-2710 on it
    > with excellent results.
    > Today I found out that my son and daughter are building
    > up an XP computer for my birthday, again.
    >
    > Does anyone know is Sygate Pro v5.5-2710 can be run
    > on an XP box?? If so, did you encounter any problems

    No, WinXP is based on a different operating platform. I'd discourage you to
    utilize any 3rd party software firewall (PFW) application.

    For the average homeuser, the Windows Firewall in XP does a fantastic job
    at its core mission and is really all you need if you have an 'real-time'
    anti-virus program, [another firewall on your router or] other edge
    protection like SeconfigXP and practise Safe-Hex.

    The windows firewall deals with inbound protection and therefore does not
    give you a false sense of security. Best of all, it doesn't implement lots
    of nonsense like pretending that outbound traffic needs to be monitored.

    Activate and utilize the Win XP built-in Firewall; Uncheck *all* Programs
    and Services under the Exception tab.
    Windows XP: How to turn on your firewall.
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...rewall/xp.mspx

    Read through:
    Understanding Windows Firewall.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...2_wfintro.mspx
    Using Windows Firewall.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...nfirewall.mspx
    At Least This Snake Oil Is Free.
    http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesp...l-is-free.aspx
    Deconstructing Common Security Myths.
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tec...s/default.aspx
    Scroll down to:
    "Myth: Host-Based Firewalls Must Filter Outbound Traffic to be Safe."
    Exploring the windows Firewall.
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tec...l/default.aspx
    "Outbound protection is security theater¡Xit¡¦s a gimmick that only gives the
    impression of improving your security without doing anything that actually
    does improve your security."
    Routinely practice Safe-Hex.
    http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html
    In conjunction with WinXP SP2 Firewall use:
    Seconfig XP 1.0
    http://seconfig.sytes.net/

    If on high-speed Internet connection use a router as well.
    Implement Countermeasures against DNSChanger:
    http://extremesecurity.blogspot.com/...-hijacked.html

    Good luck

  3. Re: Sygate Firewall??

    Casey wrote:
    > About 7-yrs ago, my son built me a Win98 computer for my
    > birthday. I have been running Sygate Pro v5.5-2710 on it
    > with excellent results.

    On Windows 98, you don't need a "Personal Firewall" at all.

    > Today I found out that my son and daughter are building
    > up an XP computer for my birthday, again.
    > Does anyone know is Sygate Pro v5.5-2710 can be run
    > on an XP box?? If so, did you encounter any problems
    > with it??

    Fortunately, there is no Sygate any more. You don't need it anyways:
    just use the build-in Windows-Firewall.

    Yours,
    VB.
    --
    Bitte beachten Sie auch die Rückseite dieses Schreibens!

  4. Re: Sygate Firewall??

    In article <48f029da@news.uni-ulm.de>, bumens@dingens.org says...
    > Casey wrote:
    > > About 7-yrs ago, my son built me a Win98 computer for my
    > > birthday. I have been running Sygate Pro v5.5-2710 on it
    > > with excellent results.

    > On Windows 98, you don't need a "Personal Firewall" at all.
    >
    > > Today I found out that my son and daughter are building
    > > up an XP computer for my birthday, again.
    > > Does anyone know is Sygate Pro v5.5-2710 can be run
    > > on an XP box?? If so, did you encounter any problems
    > > with it??

    > Fortunately, there is no Sygate any more. You don't need it anyways:
    > just use the build-in Windows-Firewall.
    >
    > Yours,
    > VB.

    Thank you both very much.
    Casey

  5. Re: Sygate Firewall??

    On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 12:06:24 -0500, Casey wrote:

    > In article <48f029da@news.uni-ulm.de>, bumens@dingens.org says...
    >> Casey wrote:
    >>> About 7-yrs ago, my son built me a Win98 computer for my
    >>> birthday. I have been running Sygate Pro v5.5-2710 on it
    >>> with excellent results.

    >> On Windows 98, you don't need a "Personal Firewall" at all.
    >>
    >>> Today I found out that my son and daughter are building
    >>> up an XP computer for my birthday, again.
    >>> Does anyone know is Sygate Pro v5.5-2710 can be run
    >>> on an XP box?? If so, did you encounter any problems
    >>> with it??

    >> Fortunately, there is no Sygate any more. You don't need it anyways:
    >> just use the build-in Windows-Firewall.
    >>
    >> Yours,
    >> VB.
    >>

    > Thank you both very much.
    > Casey

    The advice you received in grc.techtalk is mostly misguided! Consider
    carefully what is posted here and do some more research; And pay attention
    to RootKit's caution!

+ Reply to Thread