Replacement for Symantec Protection Agent? - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Replacement for Symantec Protection Agent? - Firewalls ; As a condition for accessing my employer's network from home, I had to have approved anti-virus and firewall apps installed on my home PCs. They gave out copies of Symantec AntiVirus and Symantec Protection Agent, but I'm changing jobs and ...

  1. Replacement for Symantec Protection Agent?

    As a condition for accessing my employer's network from home, I had to
    have approved anti-virus and firewall apps installed on my home PCs.

    They gave out copies of Symantec AntiVirus and Symantec Protection
    Agent, but I'm changing jobs and the SPA wants to talk to an update
    server on my current employer's network from time to time and I won't
    have access to it any more.

    Both SAV and SPA are rather intrusive and resource intensive, but I
    like SPA's ability to selectively prevent apps from making outbound
    network connections, so I'd like to have a replacement that has that
    feature. Cheap (or free) would be a nice feature too.

    Any suggestions for a software firewall with the ability to
    selectively block outbound connection attempts?

    --
    Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN | bert@iphouse.com

  2. Re: Replacement for Symantec Protection Agent?

    Bert Hyman writes:

    > As a condition for accessing my employer's network from home, I had to
    > have approved anti-virus and firewall apps installed on my home PCs.
    >
    > They gave out copies of Symantec AntiVirus and Symantec Protection
    > Agent, but I'm changing jobs and the SPA wants to talk to an update
    > server on my current employer's network from time to time and I won't
    > have access to it any more.

    If you still have the installation package, Symantec Endpoint can be
    installed as an unmanaged client, in which case it gets updates from
    an internet server.

    I'm not sure if it can be reconfigured once installed. You might want
    to look though.

    Though, symantec keeps changing names of things at every rev, so I'm
    not sure how old your package is.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  3. Re: Replacement for Symantec Protection Agent?

    In article <844p3ka2qc@e6g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, comphelp@toddh.net
    says...
    > If you still have the installation package, Symantec Endpoint can be
    > installed as an unmanaged client, in which case it gets updates from
    > an internet server.

    And that would put him in violation of the licensing agreement.

    drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

  4. Re: Replacement for Symantec Protection Agent?

    Leythos writes:

    > In article <844p3ka2qc@e6g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, comphelp@toddh.net
    > says...
    >> If you still have the installation package, Symantec Endpoint can be
    >> installed as an unmanaged client, in which case it gets updates from
    >> an internet server.
    >>

    > And that would put him in violation of the licensing agreement.

    Which clause?

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  5. Re: Replacement for Symantec Protection Agent?

    In article <84wsgg2r2z@e6g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, comphelp@toddh.net
    says...
    > Leythos writes:
    >
    > > In article <844p3ka2qc@e6g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, comphelp@toddh.net
    > > says...
    > >> If you still have the installation package, Symantec Endpoint can be
    > >> installed as an unmanaged client, in which case it gets updates from
    > >> an internet server.
    > >>

    > > And that would put him in violation of the licensing agreement.

    > Which clause?

    If he doesn't own the license for the product then he's not entitled to
    use it - He would have to obtain a copy of the license from his previous
    employer to continue using it.

    You can read the licensing agreement online.

    drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"