Time on Firewall management - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Time on Firewall management - Firewalls ; Group, Our org is considering splitting up firewall management and I am trying to figure out if we need more head count. The security team (my group) will now be responsible for security policies - what gets blocked and allowed. ...

  1. Time on Firewall management

    Group,

    Our org is considering splitting up firewall management and I am
    trying to figure out if we need more head count.

    The security team (my group) will now be responsible for security
    policies - what gets blocked and allowed.

    The network group will be responsible for managing the hardware and
    pushing through changes.

    My hope is to gain your general experience with how much time is spent
    in each area. Perhaps a percentage or hours per week metric.

    Researching and determining policy - what to block or allow

    Managing the hardware

    Pushing through changes

    We have about 30 firewalls on a few different campuses and at the
    edge. Mostly Junipers but a bit of a mix.

    Thanks in Advance!

  2. Re: Time on Firewall management

    In article <7a198a53-7dfc-40f7-9984-7235208ae901
    @v56g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>, ralbach@gmail.com says...
    > My hope is to gain your general experience with how much time is spent
    > in each area. Perhaps a percentage or hours per week metric.
    >
    > Researching and determining policy - what to block or allow
    >
    > Managing the hardware
    >
    > Pushing through changes
    >
    > We have about 30 firewalls on a few different campuses and at the
    > edge. Mostly Junipers but a bit of a mix.

    You didn't provide enough information.

    We manage firewalls for 80 some clients, only need the first few weeks
    to get things setup with exceptions to web-blocking or spam blocking.
    After the first few weeks they tend to not need changes. The only thing
    left is to check them for attacks inside or out.

    drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"