Is Comodo the best FREE firwall? - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Is Comodo the best FREE firwall? - Firewalls ; Is Comodo consider the best or a good firewall and how does it compare to ZoneAlarm? I don't know much about all of this and maybe there is something even better that I am unaware of. If there and if ...

  1. Is Comodo the best FREE firwall?

    Is Comodo consider the best or a good firewall and how does it compare
    to ZoneAlarm? I don't know much about all of this and maybe there is
    something even better that I am unaware of. If there and if so, which
    is it and why is it better, please?

    Thank you in advance for your help.
    Crystal

  2. Re: Is Comodo the best FREE firwall?

    On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 14:15:21 -0400, Miss Crystal Light wrote:

    > Is Comodo consider the best or a good firewall and how does it compare
    > to ZoneAlarm? I don't know much about all of this and maybe there is
    > something even better that I am unaware of. If there and if so, which
    > is it and why is it better, please?
    >
    > Thank you in advance for your help.
    > Crystal

    Crosspost, do not multipost

  3. Re: Is Comodo the best FREE firwall?

    On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 14:15:21 -0400,when reading
    "comp.security.firewalls", I'm certain I caught a glimpse of "Miss
    Crystal Light " saying:

    >Is Comodo consider the best or a good firewall and how does it compare
    >to ZoneAlarm? I don't know much about all of this and maybe there is
    >something even better that I am unaware of. If there and if so, which
    >is it and why is it better, please?

    After reading your previous posts I understand you are using DSL and if
    so you are protected from incoming threats by way of your router.

    I've tried Comodo but uninstalled it because I thought it to be over
    kill due to my own setup.

    ZoneAlarm is trash and I wouldn't recommend that anyone use it.

    I use the last free version of Kerio dated back to 2002/2003

    --

    Erik.

  4. Re: Is Comodo the best FREE firwall?

    On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 18:52:02 +1000, Erik Vastmasd wrote:

    > On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 14:15:21 -0400,when reading
    > "comp.security.firewalls", I'm certain I caught a glimpse of "Miss
    > Crystal Light " saying:
    >
    >>Is Comodo consider the best or a good firewall and how does it compare
    >>to ZoneAlarm? I don't know much about all of this and maybe there is
    >>something even better that I am unaware of. If there and if so, which
    >>is it and why is it better, please?

    > After reading your previous posts I understand you are using DSL and if
    > so you are protected from incoming threats by way of your router.
    >
    > I've tried Comodo but uninstalled it because I thought it to be over
    > kill due to my own setup.
    >
    > ZoneAlarm is trash and I wouldn't recommend that anyone use it.
    >
    > I use the last free version of Kerio dated back to 2002/2003

    So, now you feel safe with an (so-called) security application dated back
    to 2002/2003?

    Any 3rd party software personal firewall application (PFW) which claims:
    "It can stop/control malicious outbound traffic" is Phony-Baloney ware
    (Trash)!

  5. Re: Is Comodo the best FREE firwall?

    wrote:

    >I use the last free version of Kerio dated back to 2002/2003

    Good luck using outdated, unsupported "security" solutions.

  6. Re: Is Comodo the best FREE firwall?

    wrote:

    >Is Comodo consider the best or a good firewall

    No. Because Comodo is not a firewall and there is no such thing as a
    *good* so called personal firewall - at least not if security is your
    concern. There may be other considerations that could justify
    installing something like that - but security wouldn't be one of them.

  7. Re: Is Comodo the best FREE firwall?

    Friends, here are the thing I have and use. Please look it over and
    give me your thoughts on if I am protecting myself sufficient or
    should changes be made?

    Maybe I already have what I should need. Here is what I have:

    D-Link DI-524
    (http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DI-524-.../dp/B0001PFQ08)

    NOD 32 Anti-virus

    Webroot's Spy Sweeper

    Every Saturday or so, I run the following programs:

    Cleanup
    CCleaner
    Evidence Eliminator
    Spybot
    Ad-aware

    Am I covered pretty much? I do a lot of online banking and I am always
    afraid of being hacked.

    I do not know anything about the router except I do not use it in
    wireless mode. The cable from my cable HS provider goes into the
    router and then into the cable modem and then into the computer, all
    connected by cables.

    Is there anything else I should be doing and considering the above,
    should I go ahead and turn the XP firewall on? It might already be.

    Thanks for your help,
    Crystal

  8. Re: Is Comodo the best FREE firwall?

    On Wed, 1 Oct 2008 17:31:45 +0700,when reading
    "comp.security.firewalls", I'm certain I caught a glimpse of "Kayman
    " saying:

    >On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 18:52:02 +1000, Erik Vastmasd wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 14:15:21 -0400,when reading
    >> "comp.security.firewalls", I'm certain I caught a glimpse of "Miss
    >> Crystal Light " saying:
    >>
    >>>Is Comodo consider the best or a good firewall and how does it compare
    >>>to ZoneAlarm? I don't know much about all of this and maybe there is
    >>>something even better that I am unaware of. If there and if so, which
    >>>is it and why is it better, please?

    >> After reading your previous posts I understand you are using DSL and if
    >> so you are protected from incoming threats by way of your router.
    >>
    >> I've tried Comodo but uninstalled it because I thought it to be over
    >> kill due to my own setup.
    >>
    >> ZoneAlarm is trash and I wouldn't recommend that anyone use it.
    >>
    >> I use the last free version of Kerio dated back to 2002/2003

    >So, now you feel safe with an (so-called) security application dated back
    >to 2002/2003?

    Yes I have always felt safe with Kerio.

    What do you use?
    --

    Erik.

  9. Re: Is Comodo the best FREE firwall?

    On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 10:49:11 GMT,when reading "comp.security.firewalls",
    I'm certain I caught a glimpse of "Root Kit "
    saying:

    >On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 18:52:02 +1000, Erik Vastmasd
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I use the last free version of Kerio dated back to 2002/2003

    >Good luck using outdated, unsupported "security" solutions.

    What do you use?
    --

    Erik.

  10. Re: Is Comodo the best FREE firwall?

    On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 16:51:33 +1000, Erik Vastmasd wrote:

    > Yes I have always felt safe with Kerio.
    > What do you use?

    WinXP built in firewall together with Seconfig XP
    http://seconfig.sytes.net/

    I Practise Safe-Hex and day-day work is performed in LUA.

  11. Re: Is Comodo the best FREE firwall?

    On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 00:45:32 -0400,when reading
    "comp.security.firewalls", I'm certain I caught a glimpse of "Miss
    Crystal Light " saying:

    >Friends, here are the thing I have and use. Please look it over and
    >give me your thoughts on if I am protecting myself sufficient or
    >should changes be made?
    >
    >Maybe I already have what I should need. Here is what I have:
    >
    >D-Link DI-524
    >(http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DI-524-.../dp/B0001PFQ08)
    >
    >NOD 32 Anti-virus

    I use NOD 32 Anti-virus too.

    >Webroot's Spy Sweeper
    >
    >Every Saturday or so, I run the following programs:
    >
    >Cleanup
    >CCleaner
    >Evidence Eliminator
    >Spybot
    >Ad-aware

    I only run Ad-aware & Spybot daily.

    >Am I covered pretty much? I do a lot of online banking and I am always
    >afraid of being hacked.

    That could depend on what browser you use and whether you allow web
    sites to save cookies.

    >I do not know anything about the router except I do not use it in
    >wireless mode. The cable from my cable HS provider goes into the
    >router and then into the cable modem and then into the computer, all
    >connected by cables.

    Have you actually disconnected the wireless antenna from your router?

    I often visit the web site "ShieldsUp":

    If anyone visits "ShieldsUp" have a read of the web page and if
    satisfied press "Proceed"

    >Is there anything else I should be doing and considering the above,
    >should I go ahead and turn the XP firewall on? It might already be.

    Don't turn on the XP firewall it only protects against incoming alerts
    which are already attended to by your router.
    --

    Erik.

  12. Re: Is Comodo the best FREE firwall?

    "Miss Crystal Light" wrote in message
    > Friends, here are the thing I have and use. Please look it over and
    > give me your thoughts on if I am protecting myself sufficient or
    > should changes be made?
    >
    > Maybe I already have what I should need. Here is what I have:
    >
    > D-Link DI-524
    > (http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DI-524-.../dp/B0001PFQ08)

    Good. Make sure the wireless function is turned off if you are not using it.
    Also turn off UPnP (if the router has such an option) unless you really need
    it and know why you need it (Google it).

    > NOD 32 Anti-virus

    Good. I don't have a virus scanner on my own PC, however I do have one on
    the PC that the kids use. Run a full system scan occasionally.

    > Webroot's Spy Sweeper
    >
    > Every Saturday or so, I run the following programs:
    >
    > Cleanup
    > CCleaner
    > Evidence Eliminator
    > Spybot
    > Ad-aware

    Mostly a waste of time. I'd have to admit to running Spybot S&D occasionally
    but that's mostly because it provides an easy way to remove unwanted start
    up items and to check what ActiveX and BHOs are present.

    > Am I covered pretty much? I do a lot of online banking and I am always
    > afraid of being hacked.

    Don't use Internet Explorer. Use Firefox 3.0.3 or later or another browser.
    Configure the browser to clear private data when you close it, if you wish.

    > I do not know anything about the router except I do not use it in
    > wireless mode. The cable from my cable HS provider goes into the
    > router and then into the cable modem and then into the computer, all
    > connected by cables.
    >
    > Is there anything else I should be doing and considering the above,
    > should I go ahead and turn the XP firewall on? It might already be.

    The XP firewall should be turned ON. Anyone who tells you to turn it off is
    giving very bad advice. It does not matter whether you have a router or not.
    It is not necessary to install other firewall software on your computer.

    Consider using open DNS (Google it) and set it up to block content that you
    are not interested in. The best way to deal with malware is not to get it at
    all.

    Sites such as Gibson's shields up are mostly a waste of time for the average
    user.

    Set up your computer to use a limited user account for everyday work.
    Only log in as administrator when you have to (such as to install new
    software).

    You should be using XP service pack 3. Go to Windows Update and make sure
    all critical updates are installed.

    Be in a position to restore the computer to a clean state if it does get
    compromised by malware or if the hard drive fails.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_cloning

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clonezilla

    > Thanks for your help,
    > Crystal

  13. Re: Is Comodo the best FREE firwall?

    Erik wrote:

    > Have you actually disconnected the wireless antenna from your router?

    That's not necessary if it has an option to disable the WLAN altogether.

    > I often visit the web site "ShieldsUp":

    Please don't send people there. He's not a security expert as he
    misunderstands even the most basic TCP/IP concepts.
    http://web.archive.org/web/200706220....grcsucks.com/

    > Don't turn on the XP firewall it only protects against incoming alerts
    > which are already attended to by your router.

    Even as of SP3 it's on by default.

    -Gary

+ Reply to Thread