Unable to block traffic from VM Workstation - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Unable to block traffic from VM Workstation - Firewalls ; Hi I have developed firewall with NDIS hooking. It's working fine, monitoring the traffic on machine. I have installed VMWare workstation on my machine(Bridge mode). I can access internet through VM workstation(Winxp sp2). Firewall is not blocking the traffic from ...

  1. Unable to block traffic from VM Workstation

    Hi

    I have developed firewall with NDIS hooking.
    It's working fine, monitoring the traffic on machine.
    I have installed VMWare workstation on my machine(Bridge mode).
    I can access internet through VM workstation(Winxp sp2).
    Firewall is not blocking the traffic from VM workstation.

    So what could be the basic problem regarding this issue.
    What I am missing? How can i block traffic to and from VM.

    Thanks,

    Devang

  2. Re: Unable to block traffic from VM Workstation

    Devang writes:

    > Hi
    >
    > I have developed firewall with NDIS hooking.
    > It's working fine, monitoring the traffic on machine.
    > I have installed VMWare workstation on my machine(Bridge mode).
    > I can access internet through VM workstation(Winxp sp2).
    > Firewall is not blocking the traffic from VM workstation.
    >
    > So what could be the basic problem regarding this issue.
    > What I am missing? How can i block traffic to and from VM.

    Someone more familiar with the Windows TCP/IP stack will give you the
    best answer. I'm not sure how many people reading this group have
    much used VMWare.

    But, in a broad brush statement, since VMWare bridges to the physical
    NIC, it's obviously bypassing your firewall, likely as its operating
    at a lower layer than your hooking is occuring.

    A Windows programming forum is probably a better forum to find a good
    answer. You might also want to try some other commercial software
    firewalls and see whether any of them intercept vmware traffic. I can
    tell you that Symantec's seems to be aware of interfaces VMWare binds
    to the stack.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/