Block insant messenger - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Block insant messenger - Firewalls ; I am trying to find out how to block AOL instant messenger using my Linksys WRT54G router. I have tried searching the web but get a lot of conflicting and confusing information. Can anyone help?...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Block insant messenger

  1. Block insant messenger

    I am trying to find out how to block AOL instant messenger using my
    Linksys WRT54G router. I have tried searching the web but get a lot
    of conflicting and confusing information.

    Can anyone help?

  2. Re: Block insant messenger

    Helpful person wrote:
    > I am trying to find out how to block AOL instant messenger using my
    > Linksys WRT54G router. I have tried searching the web but get a lot
    > of conflicting and confusing information.
    >
    > Can anyone help?


    I guess you must have it installed, so what do you want to block? I have
    a handful of AOL entries in my HOSTS file that block some of Instant
    Messenger's garbage from appearing (like ads) but still allow it to
    function.

  3. Re: Block insant messenger

    On Sep 20, 11:59*pm, Geyser wrote:
    > Helpful person wrote:
    > > I am trying to find out how to block AOL instant messenger using my
    > > Linksys WRT54G router. *I have tried searching the web but get a lot
    > > of conflicting and confusing information.

    >
    > > Can anyone help?

    >
    > I guess you must have it installed, so what do you want to block? I have
    > a handful of AOL entries in my HOSTS file that block some of Instant
    > Messenger's garbage from appearing (like ads) but still allow it to
    > function.


    I wish to block instant messanger from AOL at the router.

  4. Re: Block insant messenger

    Helpful person wrote:
    > I wish to block instant messanger from AOL at the router.


    I don't know if the stock firmware will allow blocking of outbound
    services but DD-WRT definitely does. See dd-wrt.com to see if your
    hardware rev is flashable or not.

    -Gary

  5. Re: Block insant messenger

    On Sep 22, 2:59*pm, Gary wrote:
    > Helpful person wrote:
    > > I wish to blockinstantmessanger from AOL at the router.

    >
    > I don't know if the stock firmware will allow blocking of outbound
    > services but DD-WRT definitely does. See dd-wrt.com to see if your
    > hardware rev is flashable or not.
    >
    > -Gary


    I looked at the web site you suggested but this level of discussion is
    way over my head. I'm reasonably computer savvy except when it comes
    to communications and firewalls

  6. Re: Block insant messenger

    Helpful person writes:

    > On Sep 22, 2:59*pm, Gary wrote:
    >> Helpful person wrote:
    >> > I wish to blockinstantmessanger from AOL at the router.

    >>
    >> I don't know if the stock firmware will allow blocking of outbound
    >> services but DD-WRT definitely does. See dd-wrt.com to see if your
    >> hardware rev is flashable or not.
    >>
    >> -Gary

    >
    > I looked at the web site you suggested but this level of discussion is
    > way over my head. I'm reasonably computer savvy except when it comes
    > to communications and firewalls


    Welcome to comp.security.firewalls. If you're willing to learn,
    you'll become more savvy.

    It doesn't take a lot of savvy to find the hardware compatibility list
    and see if your make/model of router is on it though. dd-wrt.com
    supported hardware tab, list of devices. Pay attention to 2nd last
    column and the last column for starters. You might be taxed to turn
    your router over and find its exact hardware revision number as well
    as its model number.

    Installing can get a bit hairy, but there's a wiki to help you
    probably with your model and lead you step by step. Or sometimes
    it's just easier to buy a new router for testing so you don't shoot
    yourself in the foot.
    http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Ind...hould_I_buy.3F

    Once installed, dd-wrt's web based config is not all that much more
    complex than your standard config.


    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  7. Re: Block insant messenger

    On Sep 23, 4:19*pm, comph...@toddh.net (Todd H.) wrote:
    > Helpful person writes:
    > > On Sep 22, 2:59*pm, Gary wrote:
    > >> Helpful person wrote:
    > >> > I wish to blockinstantmessanger from AOL at the router.

    >
    > >> I don't know if the stock firmware will allow blocking of outbound
    > >> services but DD-WRT definitely does. See dd-wrt.com to see if your
    > >> hardware rev is flashable or not.

    >
    > >> -Gary

    >
    > > I looked at the web site you suggested but this level of discussion is
    > > way over my head. *I'm reasonably computer savvy except when it comes
    > > to communications and firewalls

    >
    > Welcome to comp.security.firewalls. *If you're willing to learn,
    > you'll become more savvy.
    >
    > It doesn't take a lot of savvy to find the hardware compatibility list
    > and see if your make/model of router is on it though. *dd-wrt.com
    > supported hardware tab, list of devices. *Pay attention to 2nd last
    > column and the last column for starters. * You might be taxed to turn
    > your router over and find its exact hardware revision number as well
    > as its model number.
    >
    > Installing can get a bit hairy, but there's a wiki to help you
    > probably with your model and lead you step by step. * Or sometimes
    > it's just easier to buy a new router for testing so you don't shoot
    > yourself in the foot. *
    > * * * * *http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Ind...hould_I_buy.3F
    >
    > Once installed, dd-wrt's web based config is not all that much more
    > complex than your standard config. *
    >
    > --
    > Todd H.http://www.toddh.net/


    Thanks. I'll read the web site a little more carefully. However,
    Firmware upgrades scare me.

  8. Re: Block insant messenger

    Helpful person writes:

    > Thanks. I'll read the web site a little more carefully. However,
    > Firmware upgrades scare me.


    Hee hee. Well, depending on your current router, not patching known
    security vulnerabilities in vendor provided firmware is even scarier.

    $53 hedges your concerns -- put DD-WRT on this and get it ready and
    configured, then then physically swap your current and new router
    http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16833124190


    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

+ Reply to Thread