Needed: simple incoming IP blocker - recommendations? - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Needed: simple incoming IP blocker - recommendations? - Firewalls ; Needed for XP machine: a simple incoming IP blocker - any recommendations? TIA Gummy...

  1. Needed: simple incoming IP blocker - recommendations?

    Needed for XP machine: a simple incoming IP blocker - any
    recommendations?

    TIA
    Gummy

  2. Re: Needed: simple incoming IP blocker - recommendations?

    The inbuilt firewall in XP sp2/3. By default it blocks all traffic initiated
    from the internet. Be a little careful, once you turn it on it will allow
    incoming MSN Messnger traffic, a simple untick on the exceptions tab will
    fix that.

    Wayne McGlinn
    Brisbane, Oz

    "Tony Martin" wrote in message
    > Needed for XP machine: a simple incoming IP blocker - any
    > recommendations?
    >
    > TIA
    > Gummy

  3. Re: Needed: simple incoming IP blocker - recommendations?

    On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 11:34:26 +1000, "Wayne" wrote:

    >The inbuilt firewall in XP sp2/3. By default it blocks all traffic initiated
    >from the internet. Be a little careful, once you turn it on it will allow
    >incoming MSN Messnger traffic, a simple untick on the exceptions tab will
    >fix that.
    >
    >Wayne McGlinn
    >Brisbane, Oz
    >
    >"Tony Martin" wrote in message
    >> Needed for XP machine: a simple incoming IP blocker - any
    >> recommendations?
    >>
    >> TIA
    >> Gummy

    No, XP's built in firewall wont do what I needt. I want to (example)
    block anything outgoing from my PC to a specific IP/port (like
    230.56.67.32 on port 54538) as well as block incoming.

    XP only blocks incoming.

    ZoneAlarm paid version will do this but I was hoping to
    find something simpler.

    Anyone heard of or had experience with GoldTach???

    TIA
    Gymmy

  4. Re: Needed: simple incoming IP blocker - recommendations?

    In article ,
    Tony Martin wrote:

    >>"Tony Martin" wrote in message
    >>> Needed for XP machine: a simple incoming IP blocker - any
    >>> recommendations?

    >No, XP's built in firewall wont do what I needt. I want to (example)
    >block anything outgoing from my PC to a specific IP/port (like
    >230.56.67.32 on port 54538) as well as block incoming.

    Your original question is quoted above. "a simple incoming IP blocker"
    you said. So are we to believe that original question, or are we to
    believe this follow up for a not-so-simple-anymore per-port per-ip
    incoming/outgoing IP blocker?

    *Any* software firewall you install on your XP system can be
    defeated by software. If you want security, you are better off
    doing it a hop removed, on a device that either doesn't have
    UPnP or has that feature disabled.

  5. Re: Needed: simple incoming IP blocker - recommendations?

    Tony Martin wrote:
    > Needed for XP machine: a simple incoming IP blocker - any
    > recommendations?

    The Windows-Firewall. Simple, works.

    Yours,
    VB.
    --
    Bitte beachten Sie auch die Rückseite dieses Schreibens!

  6. Re: Needed: simple incoming IP blocker - recommendations?

    Tony Martin wrote:
    >>> Needed for XP machine: a simple incoming IP blocker - any

    ^^^^^^^^
    >>> recommendations?

    > No, XP's built in firewall wont do what I needt. I want to (example)
    > block anything outgoing from my PC to a specific IP/port (like
    > 230.56.67.32 on port 54538) as well as block incoming.

    With "outgoing" you mean blocking Sockets, which are initiated from
    processes running on the machine? Why not just configuring the software
    on that machine?

    Yours,
    VB.
    --
    Bitte beachten Sie auch die Rückseite dieses Schreibens!

  7. Re: Needed: simple incoming IP blocker - recommendations?

    > On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 11:34:26 +1000, "Wayne" wrote:
    >
    >>The inbuilt firewall in XP sp2/3. By default it blocks all traffic
    >>initiated
    >>from the internet. Be a little careful, once you turn it on it will allow
    >>incoming MSN Messnger traffic, a simple untick on the exceptions tab will
    >>fix that.
    >>
    >>Wayne McGlinn
    >>Brisbane, Oz
    >>
    >>"Tony Martin" wrote in message
    >>> Needed for XP machine: a simple incoming IP blocker - any
    >>> recommendations?
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>> Gummy

    > No, XP's built in firewall wont do what I needt. I want to (example)
    > block anything outgoing from my PC to a specific IP/port (like
    > 230.56.67.32 on port 54538) as well as block incoming.
    >
    > XP only blocks incoming.
    >
    > ZoneAlarm paid version will do this but I was hoping to
    > find something simpler.
    >
    > Anyone heard of or had experience with GoldTach???
    >
    > TIA
    > Gymmy

    Right, now you've changed your original question to it's total opposite. Try
    ipsec policies, simple and effective and *free*
    http://www.auditmypc.com/free-firewalls.asp

    Wayne

+ Reply to Thread