They are coming back from holdays - Firewalls

This is a discussion on They are coming back from holdays - Firewalls ; X-No-Archive: Yes As people come back from summer holidays in the north and winter holidays in the South, I am seeing the at-work listening coming back on our radio station, and people are coming through proxies from all over the ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

  1. They are coming back from holdays

    As people come back from summer holidays in the north and
    winter holidays in the South, I am seeing the at-work listening
    coming back on our radio station, and people are coming through
    proxies from all over the world to connect.

    I had one guy in my chat rooms, bouncing off a proxy in Thailand
    admit to doing so, so he can hide his activities from his boss.
    A lot of listeners are bouncing on proxies hosted at a colocation
    centre in China. The boss will not that people are going to
    strange addresses in Chian, but will NEVER know what is
    going in.

    I am also seeing a lot of listening coming from a new VPN service
    in Rotterdam. Holland. For only 10 USD a month, you get an
    encrypted connection that cannot be sniffed, and you use
    their own proprietary software. Just install on the software
    on your computer, then go to their website and get an
    account. The boss will see a new strange encryption scheme
    being used, but he/she will NEVER know what that employee
    is up to.

  2. Re: They are coming back from holdays

    Chilly8 wrote:

    > As people come back from summer holidays in the north and
    > winter holidays in the South, I am seeing the at-work listening
    > coming back on our radio station, and people are coming through
    > proxies from all over the world to connect.
    >
    > I had one guy in my chat rooms, bouncing off a proxy in Thailand
    > admit to doing so, so he can hide his activities from his boss.
    > A lot of listeners are bouncing on proxies hosted at a colocation
    > centre in China. The boss will not that people are going to
    > strange addresses in Chian, but will NEVER know what is
    > going in.
    >
    > I am also seeing a lot of listening coming from a new VPN service
    > in Rotterdam. Holland. For only 10 USD a month, you get an
    > encrypted connection that cannot be sniffed, and you use
    > their own proprietary software. Just install on the software
    > on your computer, then go to their website and get an
    > account. The boss will see a new strange encryption scheme
    > being used, but he/she will NEVER know what that employee
    > is up to.

    Are you still promoting the unethical use of proxies and the amoral use of
    working time for personal purposes? And for 'only 10 USD a month'. Such a
    bargain for those who should be drawing unemployment for such actions. For
    shame on them...and you!

    Bud

  3. Re: They are coming back from holdays

    "Bud" wrote in message
    news:ur6dne67frY4jFXVnZ2dnUVZ_jWdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    > Chilly8 wrote:
    >>

    >> As people come back from summer holidays in the north and
    >> winter holidays in the South, I am seeing the at-work listening
    >> coming back on our radio station, and people are coming through
    >> proxies from all over the world to connect.
    >>
    >> I had one guy in my chat rooms, bouncing off a proxy in Thailand
    >> admit to doing so, so he can hide his activities from his boss.
    >> A lot of listeners are bouncing on proxies hosted at a colocation
    >> centre in China. The boss will not that people are going to
    >> strange addresses in Chian, but will NEVER know what is
    >> going in.
    >>
    >> I am also seeing a lot of listening coming from a new VPN service
    >> in Rotterdam. Holland. For only 10 USD a month, you get an
    >> encrypted connection that cannot be sniffed, and you use
    >> their own proprietary software. Just install on the software
    >> on your computer, then go to their website and get an
    >> account. The boss will see a new strange encryption scheme
    >> being used, but he/she will NEVER know what that employee
    >> is up to.

    > Are you still promoting the unethical use of proxies and the amoral use of
    > working time for personal purposes? And for 'only 10 USD a month'. Such a
    > bargain for those who should be drawing unemployment for such actions. For
    > shame on them...and you!

    If it NOT unethical. During our broadcasts of the political conventions,
    listenership went through the ROOF, especially during the rollcallof the
    states, at the Democratic convention, which had the unusual schedule
    of being held during the working hours in parts of the USA.

    A lot of people WERE tuned in from workingplaces on that day. It was
    NOT unethical to listen to the Democratic or Republican conventions
    from work.

  4. Re: They are coming back from holdays

    "Bud" wrote in message
    news:ur6dne67frY4jFXVnZ2dnUVZ_jWdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    > Chilly8 wrote:

    > Are you still promoting the unethical use of proxies and the amoral use of
    > working time for personal purposes? And for 'only 10 USD a month'. Such a
    > bargain for those who should be drawing unemployment for such actions. For

    These commercial VPN services use the idea of hiding surfing activities
    from the boss as a selling point for their products. One in Cyprus,
    with servers in England and Germany also promote that as one
    use of their products.

    There are now companies who are doing this, and their owners are
    laughing all the way to the bank on this one. And before anyone
    starts with the legalese, becuase these companies and/or servers
    are in Holland, Germany, England, and/or Cyprus, they are ONLY
    subject to the laws of THOSE countries are are NOT SUBJECT
    to ANY United States laws.

  5. Re: They are coming back from holdays

    "Chilly8" wrote in message

    > "Bud" wrote in message
    > news:ur6dne67frY4jFXVnZ2dnUVZ_jWdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    >> Chilly8 wrote:
    >>>

    >>> As people come back from summer holidays in the north and
    >>> winter holidays in the South, I am seeing the at-work listening
    >>> coming back on our radio station, and people are coming through
    >>> proxies from all over the world to connect.
    >>>
    >>> I had one guy in my chat rooms, bouncing off a proxy in Thailand
    >>> admit to doing so, so he can hide his activities from his boss.
    >>> A lot of listeners are bouncing on proxies hosted at a colocation
    >>> centre in China. The boss will not that people are going to
    >>> strange addresses in Chian, but will NEVER know what is
    >>> going in.
    >>>
    >>> I am also seeing a lot of listening coming from a new VPN service
    >>> in Rotterdam. Holland. For only 10 USD a month, you get an
    >>> encrypted connection that cannot be sniffed, and you use
    >>> their own proprietary software. Just install on the software
    >>> on your computer, then go to their website and get an
    >>> account. The boss will see a new strange encryption scheme
    >>> being used, but he/she will NEVER know what that employee
    >>> is up to.

    >> Are you still promoting the unethical use of proxies and the amoral use
    >> of working time for personal purposes? And for 'only 10 USD a month'.
    >> Such a bargain for those who should be drawing unemployment for such
    >> actions. For shame on them...and you!

    > It is NOT unethical. During our broadcasts of the political conventions,
    > listenership went through the ROOF, especially during the rollcallof the
    > states, at the Democratic convention, which had the unusual schedule
    > of being held during the working hours in parts of the USA.

    One other thing to note. The amount you pay typically depends on
    the speed you desire. The 10 USD per month is for a connection
    that is about 300K in speed, sufficient for Internet radio and web
    surfing. Higher speeds, from the various companies, obviously
    costs more. One company in Cyprus has servers in England and Germany,
    and offers a connection of about 4 megs a month, for 20 USD
    per month, which will allow you to watch just about any kind of
    online video available, and the do promote hiding your activities
    from the boss as one selling point of their service. They even say
    that if you use their service, they will never know what you are up
    to.

  6. Re: They are coming back from holdays

    In article , Chilly8 wrote:
    >And before anyone
    >starts with the legalese, becuase these companies and/or servers
    >are in Holland, Germany, England, and/or Cyprus, they are ONLY
    >subject to the laws of THOSE countries are are NOT SUBJECT
    >to ANY United States laws.

    One wonders if David Hannum had foreknowledge of your existance...

  7. Re: They are coming back from holdays

    Chilly8 wrote:

    > "Bud" wrote in message
    > news:ur6dne67frY4jFXVnZ2dnUVZ_jWdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    >> Chilly8 wrote:
    >>>

    >>> As people come back from summer holidays in the north and
    >>> winter holidays in the South, I am seeing the at-work listening
    >>> coming back on our radio station, and people are coming through
    >>> proxies from all over the world to connect.
    >>>
    >>> I had one guy in my chat rooms, bouncing off a proxy in Thailand
    >>> admit to doing so, so he can hide his activities from his boss.
    >>> A lot of listeners are bouncing on proxies hosted at a colocation
    >>> centre in China. The boss will not that people are going to
    >>> strange addresses in Chian, but will NEVER know what is
    >>> going in.
    >>>
    >>> I am also seeing a lot of listening coming from a new VPN service
    >>> in Rotterdam. Holland. For only 10 USD a month, you get an
    >>> encrypted connection that cannot be sniffed, and you use
    >>> their own proprietary software. Just install on the software
    >>> on your computer, then go to their website and get an
    >>> account. The boss will see a new strange encryption scheme
    >>> being used, but he/she will NEVER know what that employee
    >>> is up to.

    >> Are you still promoting the unethical use of proxies and the amoral use of
    >> working time for personal purposes? And for 'only 10 USD a month'. Such a
    >> bargain for those who should be drawing unemployment for such actions. For
    >> shame on them...and you!

    > If it NOT unethical. During our broadcasts of the political conventions,
    > listenership went through the ROOF, especially during the rollcallof the
    > states, at the Democratic convention, which had the unusual schedule
    > of being held during the working hours in parts of the USA.
    >
    > A lot of people WERE tuned in from workingplaces on that day. It was
    > NOT unethical to listen to the Democratic or Republican conventions
    > from work.

    Unethical? Probably not.

    Against company policy? More than likely.

    --
    Notan

  8. Re: They are coming back from holdays

    Does the charter of this group permit blatant advertising?

    Brian
    Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?

  9. Re: They are coming back from holdays

    "Skywise" wrote in message
    > Does the charter of this group permit blatant advertising?

    I am not advertising, since I am not mentioning the URL for
    my station, nor am I using any Email address that would
    point to the station.

  10. Re: They are coming back from holdays

    Skywise wrote:
    > Does the charter of this group permit blatant advertising?

    No, but chilly is way too stupid to understand that. Don't feed him.

    cu
    59cobalt
    --Mark Russinovich

  11. Re: They are coming back from holdays

    >> Does the charter of this group permit blatant advertising?

    > No, but chilly is way too stupid to understand that. Don't feed him.
    >
    > cu
    > 59cobalt

    Had my say so will follow your suggestion. Plonky Chilly.

    Bud

  12. Re: They are coming back from holdays

    "Bud" wrote in message
    news:ur6dne67frY4jFXVnZ2dnUVZ_jWdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    > Chilly8 wrote:
    >>

    >> As people come back from summer holidays in the north and
    >> winter holidays in the South, I am seeing the at-work listening
    >> coming back on our radio station, and people are coming through
    >> proxies from all over the world to connect.
    >>
    >> I had one guy in my chat rooms, bouncing off a proxy in Thailand
    >> admit to doing so, so he can hide his activities from his boss.
    >> A lot of listeners are bouncing on proxies hosted at a colocation
    >> centre in China. The boss will not that people are going to
    >> strange addresses in Chian, but will NEVER know what is
    >> going in.
    >>
    >> I am also seeing a lot of listening coming from a new VPN service
    >> in Rotterdam. Holland. For only 10 USD a month, you get an
    >> encrypted connection that cannot be sniffed, and you use
    >> their own proprietary software. Just install on the software
    >> on your computer, then go to their website and get an
    >> account. The boss will see a new strange encryption scheme
    >> being used, but he/she will NEVER know what that employee
    >> is up to.

    > Are you still promoting the unethical use of proxies and the amoral use of
    > working time for personal purposes? And for 'only 10 USD a month'. Such a
    > bargain for those who should be drawing unemployment for such actions. For
    > shame on them...and you!

    Well, I have figured out why listenership has suddenly started going up
    again,
    after being down for a while. Another change in their proprietary Nanocaster
    software now allows listening through Windows Media Player 10 or later.

    All one has to do is download a small ASX file, 1141 bytes long, small
    enough
    to Email to their office Email account, an attachment size SO small that
    admins
    would not even notice it.

    All someone would have to is simply open that ASX file, and WIndows Media
    player would open to the Live 365 WMP interface. We have tested this new
    interface with ALL proxy and anonymity service that we know of and it works.
    So somoene could be listening to Live 365 through the new WMP interface,
    using virtually ANY proxy service, and you, as admins, would never know
    about it. EVERY proxy/anonymity service we have tested with the new
    Windows Media interface will interface with the system.

    And since WMP comes standard in all Windows installations, they ONLY way
    you could stop to the use of WMP would be to use an operating system other
    than Windows. There is no way that Windows shops are going to prevent WMP
    from being loaded and used.

  13. Re: They are coming back from holdays

    In article , chilly8@hotmail.com says...
    > And since WMP comes standard in all Windows installations, they ONLY way
    > you could stop to the use of WMP would be to use an operating system other
    > than Windows. There is no way that Windows shops are going to prevent WMP
    > from being loaded and used.

    It doesn't work on any of our clients networks because their don't have
    FULL Internet access as a default.

    drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

  14. Re: They are coming back from holdays

    "Leythos" wrote in message
    > In article , chilly8@hotmail.com says...
    >> And since WMP comes standard in all Windows installations, they ONLY way
    >> you could stop to the use of WMP would be to use an operating system
    >> other
    >> than Windows. There is no way that Windows shops are going to prevent WMP
    >> from being loaded and used.
    >>

    > It doesn't work on any of our clients networks because their don't have
    > FULL Internet access as a default.

    I know that I have seen my listenership shoot up since the change in their
    Nanocaster that has the option of using a Windows Media Player 10 or
    11 client. I am seeing connections from Tor, from various "wen proxies",
    as well as subscription VPN services, such as BananaVPN, as well as
    from proxies from the lists of misconfigured proxy servers that you can
    on the net rather easily.

    I, myself, have stopped operationg a public proxy becuase while my
    connection can handle the bandwidth of running a Tor entry proxy, my
    firewall software cannot. Both Kerio and Tiny Personal firewalls crash
    under heavy traffic loads. After a few hours either Tiny or Kerio would
    start giving all kinds of weird error messages, and then crash, forcing me
    to go into the Windows service manager and restart the Firewall (which
    runs as a service in Windows). Neither Tiny or Kerio can handle the
    heavy traffic loads of running a public Tor entry proxy very well, as
    I found out.

    For those here that are advertising their public proxy services on here, you
    might want to find a better firewall program, than Tiny or Kerio, or
    you may suffer the same problems that I did, and have to reboot
    your server several times a day, if you get really heavy traffic.

    When I did run my Tor entry proxy, I often saw connections from
    office networks all over the place, especially in the USA, often times
    pratically being a whos-who of Corporate America, that you would
    have had to have seen it to believe it.

  15. Re: They are coming back from holdays

    In article , chilly8@hotmail.com says...
    > I know that I have seen my listenership shoot up

    Which doesn't change the fact that a properly configured network would
    not allow what you need to waste company time on your crap.

    drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

  16. Re: They are coming back from holdays

    "Leythos" wrote in message
    > In article , chilly8@hotmail.com says...
    >> I know that I have seen my listenership shoot up
    >>

    > Which doesn't change the fact that a properly configured network would
    > not allow what you need to waste company time on your crap.

    I run all-Christmas music weekends, starting in Octoner and runnng
    through
    Christmas, and Saturday in Australia is Friday in America, and when
    the
    switchover takes place on Friday evenings, Australia time, I see my
    listenership REALLY go up, becuase I play a lot the OOOLLDDDD
    Christmas classics, such as the Chipmunk Christmas Song, or the
    Barking Jingle Bells, or selections from the Phil Spector Christmas
    album that many AM and FM stations don't play anymore in their
    Christmas music playlists. When the "Holiday Oldies Weekend"
    is on the air, I do pick up a lot of listeners on Fridays, U.S.
    time, always did. But now with the option of using Windows Media
    Player, it is now possible to listen from work, and keep the boss
    from knowing what you are up to, if you know what you are
    doing.

    And the listenership should soar even more when I go all-Christmas
    (when not doing live programming), in mid November.

    And I see nothing wrong with listening to Christmas music from work,
    as
    long as you are getting your work done.

  17. Re: They are coming back from holdays

    In article 0b75ce4b81ce@r66g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>, chilly8@hotmail.com says...
    > And I see nothing wrong with listening to Christmas music from work,
    > as long as you are getting your work done.

    That's why the community sees you as an unethical hack. It's not your
    call and you support people breaking company policy and utilizing
    company resources that they don't have permission to use. You've even
    stated that you help people violate company policy - which is unethical.

    Nice lack of ethics you have.

    drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

  18. Re: They are coming back from holdays

    "Leythos" wrote in message
    > In article > 0b75ce4b81ce@r66g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>, chilly8@hotmail.com says...
    >> And I see nothing wrong with listening to Christmas music from work,
    >> as long as you are getting your work done.

    > That's why the community sees you as an unethical hack. It's not your
    > call and you support people breaking company policy and utilizing
    > company resources that they don't have permission to use. You've even
    > stated that you help people violate company policy - which is unethical.
    >
    > Nice lack of ethics you have.

    I don't see, say, listening to the political conventions or any of the
    presidential
    debates from work at unethical. During our broadcasts of the Democratic
    Nat'l Convention and the Republican convention as well, our listenership
    shot up. And I was seeing people tuning in from workplaces all over the
    western half of the USA (where it as still the working hours).

    And it was NOT unethical for people to tune into the Democratic
    or Republican conventions from work.

    Also, when were carrying the House and Senate sessions during the
    debate on the bailout bill, I was seeing a lot of people tuning in from
    workplaces all over the globe. And I see NOTHING unethical
    about tuning in to these sessions of the House and Senate, as
    long as they were getting their work done, I don't see any problem
    with them having tuned into these special house and senate sessions.

  19. Re: They are coming back from holdays

    In article , chilly8@hotmail.com says...
    > And it was NOT unethical for people to tune into the Democratic
    > or Republican conventions from work.

    If they violate company policy then it's unethical, period.

    You are a blight on this group because you constantly advocate and
    assist people in doing things that violate their company policy, could
    get them fired, is very easy to detect, and can be blocked with little
    effort.

    You are unethical.

    drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

  20. Re: They are coming back from holdays

    "Leythos" wrote in message
    > In article , chilly8@hotmail.com says...
    >> And it was NOT unethical for people to tune into the Democratic
    >> or Republican conventions from work.
    >>

    > If they violate company policy then it's unethical, period.
    >
    > You are a blight on this group because you constantly advocate and
    > assist people in doing things that violate their company policy, could
    > get them fired, is very easy to detect, and can be blocked with little
    > effort.
    >
    > You are unethical.

    I am one of those who is against censorship in ANY place, for
    ANY reason, including the workplace.

    However, VPN tunnels are for more than just circumventing filters
    at work. As I have said before, I use them when I go to certain
    countries that may block services, such as Skype, tht I use to run
    my talk show and radio station.

    In 3 weeks I go to China to broadcast a figure skating competition
    there, and I will, as I did for the Winter Asian Games, the Summer
    Olympics, and Beijing Cup tennis, use my VPN server to access
    Skype, and the Chinese authorities will never know what I am up
    to.

    Using VPN also lets me avoid government monitoring of Skype (now
    Chine just tries to monitor it instead of block it). With my VPN server,
    there is no POSSIBLE way the Chinese authorities will know that I
    am using Skype.

    And with South Korea now beginning a new filtering and montoring
    regime (similar to what Japan plans to begin in 2010), I will be able
    to avoid monitoring and filtering when I go to Goyang, in December,
    to broadcast the Grand Prix Final. And, yes, you read that right,
    that is SOUTH Korea, and not North Korea.

    And with the world figure skating championships coming up in 2011
    in Japan, I will be able to surf the Net, while in Japan( after the new
    filtering/monintoring regime starts there), and all the Japanese
    authorities will see is a bunch of encrypted garbage. When I am in
    Nagano in 2011, I will be able to run my talk show, using myh
    encrypted VPN tunnel, and the local authorities in Japan will NEVER
    know what I am up to.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast