Watchguard SOHO 6 & Windows Vista Business - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Watchguard SOHO 6 & Windows Vista Business - Firewalls ; Good evening from Wisconsin, I have installed a new Vista Business PC that sits behind a Watchguard SOHO 6 in one of our clients' networks. The Watchguard is the DHCP server, DNS server, and gateway for this network. The Watchguard ...

  1. Watchguard SOHO 6 & Windows Vista Business

    Good evening from Wisconsin,

    I have installed a new Vista Business PC that sits behind a Watchguard
    SOHO 6 in one of our clients' networks. The Watchguard is the DHCP
    server, DNS server, and gateway for this network.

    The Watchguard correctly hands out its own IP address as the DNS
    server when clients in this network request DHCP info. This one
    Windows Vista Business PC refuses to use the Watchguard as its DNS
    server - all DNS requests for external IPs simply time out. However,
    hard-coding the upstream provider's DNS servers into the NIC's
    configuration results in successful DNS resolution for all external
    IPs.

    I have scoured the Watchguard's configuration, and there are no blocks
    that would prevent this Vista PC from using the Watchguard as its DNS
    server, and both Windows Firewall and McAfee Internet Security Suite
    are both disabled entirely. This PC has also been configured to trust
    all peers in the same subnet.

    Hard-coding the upstream provider's DNS servers works, but it's not an
    ideal situation because I still need to know why this is happening, as
    this office will slowly be upgrading all PCs to Vista within the next
    year or so.

    Could anyone here share any insight as to why this is happening, and
    where I could look to resolve it?

    Many thanks in advance,
    --
    Isaac Grover, Owner
    Quality Computer Services of River Falls, Wisconsin

  2. Re: Watchguard SOHO 6 & Windows Vista Business

    In article @f36g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>, isaac.grover@gmail.com says...
    > I have installed a new Vista Business PC that sits behind a Watchguard
    > SOHO 6 in one of our clients' networks. The Watchguard is the DHCP
    > server, DNS server, and gateway for this network.
    >
    > The Watchguard correctly hands out its own IP address as the DNS
    > server when clients in this network request DHCP info. This one
    > Windows Vista Business PC refuses to use the Watchguard as its DNS
    > server - all DNS requests for external IPs simply time out. However,
    > hard-coding the upstream provider's DNS servers into the NIC's
    > configuration results in successful DNS resolution for all external
    > IPs.
    >
    > I have scoured the Watchguard's configuration, and there are no blocks
    > that would prevent this Vista PC from using the Watchguard as its DNS
    > server, and both Windows Firewall and McAfee Internet Security Suite
    > are both disabled entirely. This PC has also been configured to trust
    > all peers in the same subnet.

    I don't see this with any of the SOHO6tc units we have in place.

    drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

  3. Re: Watchguard SOHO 6 & Windows Vista Business

    Isaac Grover wrote:
    > Good evening from Wisconsin,
    >
    > I have installed a new Vista Business PC that sits behind a Watchguard
    > SOHO 6 in one of our clients' networks. The Watchguard is the DHCP
    > server, DNS server, and gateway for this network.
    >
    > The Watchguard correctly hands out its own IP address as the DNS
    > server when clients in this network request DHCP info. This one
    > Windows Vista Business PC refuses to use the Watchguard as its DNS
    > server - all DNS requests for external IPs simply time out. However,
    > hard-coding the upstream provider's DNS servers into the NIC's
    > configuration results in successful DNS resolution for all external
    > IPs.
    >
    > I have scoured the Watchguard's configuration, and there are no blocks
    > that would prevent this Vista PC from using the Watchguard as its DNS
    > server, and both Windows Firewall and McAfee Internet Security Suite
    > are both disabled entirely. This PC has also been configured to trust
    > all peers in the same subnet.
    >
    > Hard-coding the upstream provider's DNS servers works, but it's not an
    > ideal situation because I still need to know why this is happening, as
    > this office will slowly be upgrading all PCs to Vista within the next
    > year or so.
    >
    > Could anyone here share any insight as to why this is happening, and
    > where I could look to resolve it?
    >
    > Many thanks in advance,
    > --
    > Isaac Grover, Owner
    > Quality Computer Services of River Falls, Wisconsin
    > Web: http://www.qcs-rf.com

    Get rid of McAfee insecurity completely rather than disabling it.
    Reset the Ip stack netch int ip reset reset.txt
    Drop the NIC MTU to about 1460 using drtcp.exe. MTU size *shouldn't*
    have any effect on DNS requests due to the packet size, but in my
    experience does.

    Another source of grief is connecting a gigabit nic (esp the Intel ones)
    into a 10/100 switch. I'd hazard a guess that this is the cause.
    E.

  4. Re: Watchguard SOHO 6 & Windows Vista Business

    E. wrote:
    > Isaac Grover wrote:
    >> Good evening from Wisconsin,
    >>
    >> I have installed a new Vista Business PC that sits behind a Watchguard
    >> SOHO 6 in one of our clients' networks. The Watchguard is the DHCP
    >> server, DNS server, and gateway for this network.
    >>
    >> The Watchguard correctly hands out its own IP address as the DNS
    >> server when clients in this network request DHCP info. This one
    >> Windows Vista Business PC refuses to use the Watchguard as its DNS
    >> server - all DNS requests for external IPs simply time out. However,
    >> hard-coding the upstream provider's DNS servers into the NIC's
    >> configuration results in successful DNS resolution for all external
    >> IPs.
    >>
    >> I have scoured the Watchguard's configuration, and there are no blocks
    >> that would prevent this Vista PC from using the Watchguard as its DNS
    >> server, and both Windows Firewall and McAfee Internet Security Suite
    >> are both disabled entirely. This PC has also been configured to trust
    >> all peers in the same subnet.
    >>
    >> Hard-coding the upstream provider's DNS servers works, but it's not an
    >> ideal situation because I still need to know why this is happening, as
    >> this office will slowly be upgrading all PCs to Vista within the next
    >> year or so.
    >>
    >> Could anyone here share any insight as to why this is happening, and
    >> where I could look to resolve it?
    >>
    >> Many thanks in advance,
    >> --
    >> Isaac Grover, Owner
    >> Quality Computer Services of River Falls, Wisconsin
    >> Web: http://www.qcs-rf.com

    > Get rid of McAfee insecurity completely rather than disabling it.
    > Reset the Ip stack netch int ip reset reset.txt
    > Drop the NIC MTU to about 1460 using drtcp.exe. MTU size *shouldn't*
    > have any effect on DNS requests due to the packet size, but in my
    > experience does.
    >
    > Another source of grief is connecting a gigabit nic (esp the Intel ones)
    > into a 10/100 switch. I'd hazard a guess that this is the cause.
    > E.

    netsh int ip reset reset.txt

+ Reply to Thread