Watchguard x700 - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Watchguard x700 - Firewalls ; Hi guys I am trying to harden our firewall by denying the download of program files (.exe,.com,dll etc). I've denied the application/oct-stream thing but it also stops .zip files from downloading (which we need) Has anyone managed to do this? ...

  1. Watchguard x700

    Hi guys

    I am trying to harden our firewall by denying the download of program
    files (.exe,.com,dll etc). I've denied the application/oct-stream
    thing but it also stops .zip files from downloading (which we need)

    Has anyone managed to do this?

    Andy

  2. Re: Watchguard x700

    In article @l64g2000hse.googlegroups.com>, daz@rayneressex.com says...
    > Hi guys
    >
    > I am trying to harden our firewall by denying the download of program
    > files (.exe,.com,dll etc). I've denied the application/oct-stream
    > thing but it also stops .zip files from downloading (which we need)
    >
    > Has anyone managed to do this?

    Use a file pattern match instead of the a/o-s

    What version of WSM are you running?

    drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

  3. Re: Watchguard x700

    daz@rayneressex.com wrote:
    > Hi guys
    >
    > I am trying to harden our firewall by denying the download of program
    > files (.exe,.com,dll etc). I've denied the application/oct-stream
    > thing but it also stops .zip files from downloading (which we need)
    >
    > Has anyone managed to do this?
    >
    > Andy

    Consider untangle (open source, free, loads OS and sw from one cd)to
    suppliment your firewall, easy to manage, can block by extension,
    protocol, webfilter, and more functions.
    www.untangle.com

  4. Re: Watchguard x700

    On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 00:08:53 -0400, gr
    wrote:

    >daz@rayneressex.com wrote:
    >> Hi guys
    >>
    >> I am trying to harden our firewall by denying the download of program
    >> files (.exe,.com,dll etc). I've denied the application/oct-stream
    >> thing but it also stops .zip files from downloading (which we need)
    >>
    >> Has anyone managed to do this?
    >>
    >> Andy

    >Consider untangle (open source, free, loads OS and sw from one cd)to
    >suppliment your firewall, easy to manage, can block by extension,
    >protocol, webfilter, and more functions.
    >www.untangle.com

    Consider it when they get it to install on current hardware without
    locking up.

+ Reply to Thread