Re: Likelihood of IT using a Packet Sniffer - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Re: Likelihood of IT using a Packet Sniffer - Firewalls ; "Skywise" wrote in message news:hT9ok.191933$IP7.144304@newsfe16.ams2... > Nomen Nescio wrote in > news:c5840971fa5daccf082f936dcafde283@dizum.com: > >> If he is really worried, tell him to use a suscription >> VPN service. A GOOD one will cost around $40 per month, >> for a ...

  1. Re: Likelihood of IT using a Packet Sniffer

    "Skywise" wrote in message news:hT9ok.191933$IP7.144304@newsfe16.ams2...
    > Nomen Nescio wrote in
    >
    >> If he is really worried, tell him to use a suscription
    >> VPN service. A GOOD one will cost around $40 per month,
    >> for a high speed one. The connection will be encrypted,
    >> and packet sniffers will be USELESS against his encrypted
    >> connection.

    > And what do you expect the admins are going to do when
    > they see encrypted traffic going through their servers,
    > traffic that is not expected? They may not see WHAT is
    > being sent/received, but they are still going to know
    > WHO. That alone may be enough grounds for termination.
    > In the extreme it could lead to a criminal investigation
    > to see if any company secrets were divulged.

    Hoever, there is no POSSIBLE way that a subpoena could
    be served on a company that is in Cyprus. As long as the
    USA server was not being used, there is no way they that
    BananaVPN would EVER have to comply with ANY court order
    from a U.S. court

    > BananaVPN may not be subject to any but those laws, but
    > the person using the service still resides in another
    > country (USA, or China) and is still subject to THEIR
    > laws. Again, 'they' may not know WHAT is being sent, but
    > they will know WHO.

    And being able to use Skype, in countries where it is
    blocked, is a selling poing that BananaVPN uses. They
    ENCOURAGE people that want to use Skype from places, such
    as Middle Eastern countries, where it is blocked, to use
    their service to circumvent blocking up Skype.

    The ONLY reason, I think, they have a U.S. server, is so
    that people who want to use services, such as the Pandora
    music service, that are restricted to U.S. IPs can be
    able to tune in, as well as watching online streaming of
    shows from CBS, NBC, ABC, etc. that are restricted to U.S.
    IP addresses, and they make it a selling point for
    subscriptions to their U.S. servers. And circumventing
    geographic restrictions is not currently against U.S.
    laws, though there are rumors floating about that Congress
    may introduce a law, during the 111th Congress, to make
    such circumvention illegal.

    And some even have their own proprietary client software,
    to make it more secure. One service I had, PrivacyView,
    is good, but the speed is only 312K, when I checked it on
    a broadband speed test site. BananaVPN is much faster.

    One of their selling points, which appears to ecourage
    people to use it from work is "Your office/school will
    not know you are using it". Then again, encouraging this
    is LEGAL under Cypriot law, so any company whose
    employees use CANNOT hold BananaVPN liable for the actions
    of their users, under Cypriot law.

  2. Re: Likelihood of IT using a Packet Sniffer

    Nomen Nescio wrote in

    > Hoever, there is no POSSIBLE way that a subpoena could
    > be served on a company that is in Cyprus. As long as the
    > USA server was not being used, there is no way they that
    > BananaVPN would EVER have to comply with ANY court order
    > from a U.S. court

    But if you are in the US, then the US court CAN subpoena
    YOU.

    > One of their selling points, which appears to ecourage
    > people to use it from work is "Your office/school will
    > not know you are using it". Then again, encouraging this
    > is LEGAL under Cypriot law, so any company whose
    > employees use CANNOT hold BananaVPN liable for the actions
    > of their users, under Cypriot law.

    But the employers can still hold the employee accountable
    for their actions.

    I'm not arguing that BananaVPN themselves may be immune
    to legal action. What I am arguing is that those using
    the service are still subject to the laws of the country
    they are in and the rules of the company that employs
    them.

    It makes no difference to the employer if the employee
    is surfing the net openly or squeeking through the system
    using a service like BananaVPN. If they are caught, they
    can be disciplined.

    In fact, I think it more likely the employee would be fired
    if they were caught using an encrypted service to tunnel
    through the network as it shows a brazen disregard for the
    security of the company network and employee rules, and may
    beg the question of what proprietary company data may have
    been illegally transferred. Companies take corporate
    espionage seriously.

    Brian
    Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?

+ Reply to Thread