Losing part of the Internet-connection, from time to time. - Firewalls

This is a discussion on Losing part of the Internet-connection, from time to time. - Firewalls ; I have expired some odd problem during the last 5 days. During daytime, I can use my Internet-connection just fine (everything works (www, ftp, mail, ssh etc) and has normal speed). But then the evening comes (somewhere around 7pm the ...

  1. Losing part of the Internet-connection, from time to time.

    I have expired some odd problem during the last 5 days. During daytime, I
    can use my Internet-connection just fine (everything works (www, ftp,
    mail, ssh etc) and has normal speed). But then the evening comes
    (somewhere around 7pm the www just stop and stying away for a couple of
    hoers, but just the wild wild web the other (ftp, mail news, ssh etc) work
    fine (well fine,, it is slow but still useful).

    What I have tried is to restart the modem and the router. I have tried to
    connect directly to the modem. I have tried names instead of IP-numbers
    for my DNS. No luck, any ideas of what it can be?
    Can it be that my ISP get owerloaded between 7pm and 10pm?
    /Anders

  2. Re: Losing part of the Internet-connection, from time to time.

    anders wrote:
    > Can it be that my ISP get owerloaded between 7pm and 10pm?

    Almost certainly, particularly if it's a domestic (home user) ISP.

    And the relevance to comp.security.firewalls is...?
    Chris

  3. Re: Losing part of the Internet-connection, from time to time.

    "Chris Davies" wrote in message
    > anders wrote:
    >> Can it be that my ISP get owerloaded between 7pm and 10pm?

    > Almost certainly, particularly if it's a domestic (home user) ISP.
    >
    > And the relevance to comp.security.firewalls is...?
    > Chris

    The NG should be happy it's getting any traffic.

  4. Re: Losing part of the Internet-connection, from time to time.

    anders wrote in news:g7q8gt$nub$1@news.albasani.net:

    > I have expired some odd problem during the last 5 days. During daytime, I
    > can use my Internet-connection just fine (everything works (www, ftp,
    > mail, ssh etc) and has normal speed). But then the evening comes
    > (somewhere around 7pm the www just stop and stying away for a couple of
    > hoers, but just the wild wild web the other (ftp, mail news, ssh etc) work
    > fine (well fine,, it is slow but still useful).
    >
    > What I have tried is to restart the modem and the router. I have tried to
    > connect directly to the modem. I have tried names instead of IP-numbers
    > for my DNS. No luck, any ideas of what it can be?
    > Can it be that my ISP get owerloaded between 7pm and 10pm?
    > /Anders

    I too have experienced similar problems on my antiquated dial up
    service. Sometimes I lose the web, but can email and usenet just
    fine with no problems. On occasion, it comes back. Most of the time
    it requires a re-connect.

    If yours is happening at predictable times of the day every day,
    then your ISP could be throttling bandwidth usage. You should ask
    them. There was a recent FCC case regarding this. A few companies
    got spanked for doing this and doing it without notification to
    its customers.

    Brian
    Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?

  5. Re: Losing part of the Internet-connection, from time to time.

    Den Mon, 11 Aug 2008 21:20:25 -0400 skrev Mr. Arnold:

    > "Chris Davies" wrote in message
    >> anders wrote:
    >>> Can it be that my ISP get owerloaded between 7pm and 10pm?

    >> Almost certainly, particularly if it's a domestic (home user) ISP.
    >>
    >> And the relevance to comp.security.firewalls is...? Chris

    > The NG should be happy it's getting any traffic.

    ;-)

  6. Re: Losing part of the Internet-connection, from time to time.

    Den Tue, 12 Aug 2008 03:00:05 +0000 skrev Skywise:

    > anders wrote in
    >
    >> I have expired some odd problem during the last 5 days. During daytime,
    >> I can use my Internet-connection just fine (everything works (www, ftp,
    >> mail, ssh etc) and has normal speed). But then the evening comes
    >> (somewhere around 7pm the www just stop and stying away for a couple of
    >> hoers, but just the wild wild web the other (ftp, mail news, ssh etc)
    >> work fine (well fine,, it is slow but still useful).
    >>
    >> What I have tried is to restart the modem and the router. I have tried
    >> to connect directly to the modem. I have tried names instead of
    >> IP-numbers for my DNS. No luck, any ideas of what it can be? Can it be
    >> that my ISP get owerloaded between 7pm and 10pm? /Anders

    > I too have experienced similar problems on my antiquated dial up
    > service. Sometimes I lose the web, but can email and usenet just fine
    > with no problems. On occasion, it comes back. Most of the time it
    > requires a re-connect.
    >
    > If yours is happening at predictable times of the day every day, then
    > your ISP could be throttling bandwidth usage. You should ask them. There
    > was a recent FCC case regarding this. A few companies got spanked for
    > doing this and doing it without notification to its customers.
    >
    > Brian

    I sit on a so-called broadband (coaxial-cable 24Mbit/1Mbit). It is a few
    years old now, but not antique. :-)
    The same scenario every night between approximately 7pm and 10pm.
    My ISP has started to launch a faster subscription the last few days
    (25-50Mbit/7-10Mbit), it may be that.
    Before I complain to the Swedish Consumers-Department (which probably can
    be likened to the FCC) I will try to talk to the Support on this, but
    every time I tried to call, I hear this ghost telling me 'that there are
    many who call right now, try again later' (I have tried many times now,
    perhaps, to many).

    /Anders

  7. Re: Losing part of the Internet-connection, from time to time.

    anders wrote in news:g7ro9v$rsa$2@news.albasani.net:

    > ...I will try to talk to the Support on this, but
    > every time I tried to call, I hear this ghost telling me 'that there are
    > many who call right now, try again later' (I have tried many times now,
    > perhaps, to many).

    Have you tried emailing support? At least you don't have to
    sit on hold "for the next avaialable representative" for an
    hour.

    Brian
    Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?

  8. Re: Losing part of the Internet-connection, from time to time.

    Den Tue, 12 Aug 2008 22:43:17 +0000 skrev Skywise:

    > anders wrote in
    >
    >> ...I will try to talk to the Support on this, but every time I tried to
    >> call, I hear this ghost telling me 'that there are many who call right
    >> now, try again later' (I have tried many times now, perhaps, to many).

    > Have you tried emailing support? At least you don't have to sit on hold
    > "for the next avaialable representative" for an hour.
    >
    > Brian

    Yes, I have tried to send mail to them.
    But, I think they just send them strait to /dev/null :-(

    I did after all get in contact with the support during the day, yesterday
    (I only had to wait for about 40 minutes), they said that it was a known
    problem in my area.
    So who knows, it may be that it will be resolved after all.

    Just wondering what triggering this phenomena.
    Some vagrant who hijacks the line after 'work', or ..? :-)

    /Anders

+ Reply to Thread