DNS Randomness Test - Firewalls

This is a discussion on DNS Randomness Test - Firewalls ; "The test takes a few seconds to complete. When its done you'll see a page where the transaction ID and source port randomness will be rated either GREAT, GOOD, or POOR. If you see a POOR rating, we recommend that ...

  1. DNS Randomness Test

    "The test takes a few seconds to complete. When its done you'll see a page
    where the transaction ID and source port randomness will be rated either
    GREAT, GOOD, or POOR. If you see a POOR rating, we recommend that contact
    your ISP and ask if they have plans to upgrade their nameserver software
    before August 7th."
    https://www.dns-oarc.net/oarc/services/dnsentropy

  2. Re: DNS Randomness Test

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 20:36:31 +0700 'Kayman'
    wrote this on alt.comp.freeware:

    >"The test takes a few seconds to complete. When its done you'll see a page
    >where the transaction ID and source port randomness will be rated either
    >GREAT, GOOD, or POOR. If you see a POOR rating, we recommend that contact
    >your ISP and ask if they have plans to upgrade their nameserver software
    >before August 7th."
    >https://www.dns-oarc.net/oarc/services/dnsentropy

    My results:
    -Source Port Randomness: GREAT
    -Transaction ID Randomness: GREAT

    ....phew ;-)

    --
    "All truth passes through three stages.
    First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed,

  3. Re: DNS Randomness Test

    From: "hummingbird"

    | On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 20:36:31 +0700 'Kayman'
    | wrote this on alt.comp.freeware:

    >>"The test takes a few seconds to complete. When its done you'll see a page
    >>where the transaction ID and source port randomness will be rated either
    >>GREAT, GOOD, or POOR. If you see a POOR rating, we recommend that contact
    >>your ISP and ask if they have plans to upgrade their nameserver software
    >>before August 7th."
    >>https://www.dns-oarc.net/oarc/services/dnsentropy

    | My results:
    | -Source Port Randomness: GREAT
    | -Transaction ID Randomness: GREAT

    | ...phew ;-)

    Verizon (my ISP)...

    -Source Port Randomness: POOR
    -Transaction ID Randomness: GREAT

    1.. 71.250.0.36 appears to have POOR source port randomness and GREAT transaction ID
    randomness.
    2.. 71.250.0.37 appears to have POOR source port randomness and GREAT transaction ID
    randomness.
    3.. 199.45.32.38 (nsdc.bellatlantic.net) appears to have POOR source port randomness and
    GREAT transaction ID randomness.
    4.. 151.198.0.38 (nsmad.bellatlantic.net) appears to have POOR source port randomness
    and GREAT transaction ID randomness.

    | --
    Dave

  4. Re: DNS Randomness Test

    In article ,
    kaymanDeleteThis@operamail.com says...
    > "The test takes a few seconds to complete. When its done you'll see a page
    > where the transaction ID and source port randomness will be rated either
    > GREAT, GOOD, or POOR. If you see a POOR rating, we recommend that contact
    > your ISP and ask if they have plans to upgrade their nameserver software
    > before August 7th."
    > https://www.dns-oarc.net/oarc/services/dnsentropy

    Some ISP's, such as Comcast, are fully patched, but also have an
    additional layer of protection. That additional layer tends to cause
    issues such as 'NAT or firewall issue' with the doxpara test, or the
    POOR notes on the test above. It's the tests being fooled by the
    protection, not a weakness of the protection.

    law!!
    http://home.att.net/~andyross

  5. Re: DNS Randomness Test

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 16:36:21 -0400 'David H. Lipman'
    wrote this on alt.comp.freeware:

    >From: "hummingbird"
    >

    >| On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 20:36:31 +0700 'Kayman'
    >| wrote this on alt.comp.freeware:
    >
    >>>"The test takes a few seconds to complete. When its done you'll see a page
    >>>where the transaction ID and source port randomness will be rated either
    >>>GREAT, GOOD, or POOR. If you see a POOR rating, we recommend that contact
    >>>your ISP and ask if they have plans to upgrade their nameserver software
    >>>before August 7th."
    >>>https://www.dns-oarc.net/oarc/services/dnsentropy

    >| My results:
    >| -Source Port Randomness: GREAT
    >| -Transaction ID Randomness: GREAT
    >
    >| ...phew ;-)
    >

    >Verizon (my ISP)...
    >
    >-Source Port Randomness: POOR
    >-Transaction ID Randomness: GREAT
    >
    > 1.. 71.250.0.36 appears to have POOR source port randomness and GREAT transaction ID
    >randomness.
    > 2.. 71.250.0.37 appears to have POOR source port randomness and GREAT transaction ID
    >randomness.
    > 3.. 199.45.32.38 (nsdc.bellatlantic.net) appears to have POOR source port randomness and
    >GREAT transaction ID randomness.
    > 4.. 151.198.0.38 (nsmad.bellatlantic.net) appears to have POOR source port randomness
    >and GREAT transaction ID randomness.

    Is it time to give Verizon a big kick up the ass? ;-)

    --
    "All truth passes through three stages.
    First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed,
    and third, it is accepted as self-evident"
    (Arthur Schopenhauer)

  6. Re: DNS Randomness Test

    From: "hummingbird"

    | On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 16:36:21 -0400 'David H. Lipman'
    | wrote this on alt.comp.freeware:

    >>From: "hummingbird"

    >>| My results:
    >>| -Source Port Randomness: GREAT
    >>| -Transaction ID Randomness: GREAT

    >>| ...phew ;-)

    >>Verizon (my ISP)...

    >>-Source Port Randomness: POOR
    >>-Transaction ID Randomness: GREAT

    >> 1.. 71.250.0.36 appears to have POOR source port randomness and GREAT transaction ID
    >>randomness.
    >> 2.. 71.250.0.37 appears to have POOR source port randomness and GREAT transaction ID
    >>randomness.
    >> 3.. 199.45.32.38 (nsdc.bellatlantic.net) appears to have POOR source port randomness
    >> and
    >>GREAT transaction ID randomness.
    >> 4.. 151.198.0.38 (nsmad.bellatlantic.net) appears to have POOR source port randomness
    >>and GREAT transaction ID randomness.

    | Is it time to give Verizon a big kick up the ass? ;-)

    /* Indeed ! */

    Especially in light of their dropping ALL but the "Big 8" Usenet News Groups.

    --
    Dave

  7. Re: DNS Randomness Test

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 17:33:46 -0400 'David H. Lipman'
    wrote this on alt.comp.freeware:

    >From: "hummingbird"
    >

    >| On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 16:36:21 -0400 'David H. Lipman'
    >| wrote this on alt.comp.freeware:
    >
    >>>From: "hummingbird"

    >>>Verizon (my ISP)...

    >>>-Source Port Randomness: POOR
    >>>-Transaction ID Randomness: GREAT

    >>> 1.. 71.250.0.36 appears to have POOR source port randomness and GREAT transaction ID
    >>>randomness.
    >>> 2.. 71.250.0.37 appears to have POOR source port randomness and GREAT transaction ID
    >>>randomness.
    >>> 3.. 199.45.32.38 (nsdc.bellatlantic.net) appears to have POOR source port randomness
    >>> and
    >>>GREAT transaction ID randomness.
    >>> 4.. 151.198.0.38 (nsmad.bellatlantic.net) appears to have POOR source port randomness
    >>>and GREAT transaction ID randomness.

    >| Is it time to give Verizon a big kick up the ass? ;-)
    >

    >/* Indeed ! */
    >
    >Especially in light of their dropping ALL but the "Big 8" Usenet News Groups.

    Shame on them!

    First they came for the binaries...
    Then they came for the non-Big 8...

    --
    "All truth passes through three stages.
    First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed,
    and third, it is accepted as self-evident"
    (Arthur Schopenhauer)

  8. Re: DNS Randomness Test

    If you're not using OpenDNS, you're doing it all wrong. Seriously.

    http://www.opendns.com/

    "David H. Lipman" wrote in
    news:I46dnWrA5q9XsBPVnZ2dnUVZ_qrinZ2d@giganews.com :

    > From: "hummingbird"
    >

    >| On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 20:36:31 +0700 'Kayman'
    >| wrote this on alt.comp.freeware:
    >
    >>>"The test takes a few seconds to complete. When its done you'll see a
    >>>page where the transaction ID and source port randomness will be
    >>>rated either GREAT, GOOD, or POOR. If you see a POOR rating, we
    >>>recommend that contact your ISP and ask if they have plans to upgrade
    >>>their nameserver software before August 7th."
    >>>https://www.dns-oarc.net/oarc/services/dnsentropy

    >| My results:
    >| -Source Port Randomness: GREAT
    >| -Transaction ID Randomness: GREAT
    >
    >| ...phew ;-)
    >

    > Verizon (my ISP)...
    >
    > -Source Port Randomness: POOR
    > -Transaction ID Randomness: GREAT
    >
    > 1.. 71.250.0.36 appears to have POOR source port randomness and
    > GREAT transaction ID
    > randomness.
    > 2.. 71.250.0.37 appears to have POOR source port randomness and
    > GREAT transaction ID
    > randomness.
    > 3.. 199.45.32.38 (nsdc.bellatlantic.net) appears to have POOR source
    > port randomness and
    > GREAT transaction ID randomness.
    > 4.. 151.198.0.38 (nsmad.bellatlantic.net) appears to have POOR
    > source port randomness
    > and GREAT transaction ID randomness.
    >
    >| --
    > Dave
    > Multi-AV - http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

  9. Re: DNS Randomness Test

    * Derio wrote:
    > If you're not using OpenDNS, you're doing it all wrong. Seriously.
    > http://www.opendns.com/

    OpenDNS is vulnerable to the attack as well as any other nonvalidating
    resolver.

    Poisoning a fully patched resolver in 10 hours:
    http://tservice.net.ru/~s0mbre/blog/...008_08_08.html

    Compare DNS resolver strategies (incl. OpenDNS and look at the BOGUS messages):
    http://www.iks-jena.de/cgi-bin/dnssec_how_dns_works.pl

  10. Re: DNS Randomness Test

    Derio writes:

    >If you're not using OpenDNS, you're doing it all wrong. Seriously.

    >http://www.opendns.com/

    That does not help much. While opendns might not have a poisoned cache, the
    dns server IT gets its information from might be poisoned. Ie, when you ask
    opendns for an address, it does NOT have all addresses in its cache. Simply
    not big enough. It goes an asks the next DNS server for that address. If
    that dns server is poisoned, then it will deliver the wrong address to
    opendns, and you are screwed. DNS is a whole web of trust, not simply a
    single machine, and a single poisoned node can poison the whole web.

    That, AFAIK, is why this cache poisoning attack is so serious.
    It helps a lot if your immediate DNS server is OK. But it is not the whole
    story.

    >"David H. Lipman" wrote in
    >news:I46dnWrA5q9XsBPVnZ2dnUVZ_qrinZ2d@giganews.com :

    >> From: "hummingbird"

    >>| My results:
    >>| -Source Port Randomness: GREAT
    >>| -Transaction ID Randomness: GREAT
    >>
    >>| ...phew ;-)
    >>

    >> Verizon (my ISP)...
    >>
    >> -Source Port Randomness: POOR
    >> -Transaction ID Randomness: GREAT
    >>
    >> 1.. 71.250.0.36 appears to have POOR source port randomness and
    >> GREAT transaction ID
    >> randomness.
    >> 2.. 71.250.0.37 appears to have POOR source port randomness and
    >> GREAT transaction ID
    >> randomness.
    >> 3.. 199.45.32.38 (nsdc.bellatlantic.net) appears to have POOR source
    >> port randomness and
    >> GREAT transaction ID randomness.
    >> 4.. 151.198.0.38 (nsmad.bellatlantic.net) appears to have POOR
    >> source port randomness
    >> and GREAT transaction ID randomness.
    >>
    >>| --
    >> Dave